1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Shun or Akira?

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by TreffsikreTruls, Apr 27, 2002.

1. TreffsikreTruls

TreffsikreTruls New Member

I am new to vf4 and wonders who i shall chose? Can any of u veteran players tell me who u will advice me to chose. I like those two the most of the characters.

2. Ealsen

Ealsen Well-Known Member

Well.. Maybe Shun as most of his moves are easy to execute. Akira's moves are somewhat difficult to do such as his canned combos DLC, SPoD therefore requires extra times to put some practice into it.

3. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

I'll give you one classic answer... Play a bit with the game and the various characters, and then eventually pick the character you enjoy playing the most.

-Your appreciation of the game may grow by doing this.
    -Your desire to understand and harness your technique of that character is likely to be much more motivated.
    -The game is not horribly unbalanced, but some characters do require more work or radically different approaches than others.

4. Jebus

Jebus Active Member

If you can get used to doing Akira's command then go for him, or if you can get used to Shun's timing for attacks and drinks then try him out. But make sure you don't pick them cuz you think they are cool, I thought Kage was kewl but I couldn't get used to him movements, so..../versus/images/icons/tongue.gif

5. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Kage, though now a bit unorthadox, is imo a great character in VF4 (Version C). In previous VF games, he was a pretty orthadox character, however he is now very unorthadox imo...

-Version C Jumonji Stance games can be downright evil.
    -Lots of blindfighting options (with attacks that lead him into blindfighting aka Turned Around).
    -A decent throw mixup game that can be utilized.
    -A good deal of combos for combo-smiths and decent-damage-buffs (and they are not all from TFT).

To me, Kage is one of those characters that will be frustrating when you are just learning him, but there are so many hidden novelties in his game (in Version C anyways) that he is worth using if you enjoy his unique game and are willing to take the time to learn him in and out.

Maybe I could get some testimonials from Myke, Feixaq, or UK-Guy here?

-Chanchai

6. Jebus

Jebus Active Member

/versus/images/icons/shocked.gif I didn't say that Kage wasn't a great character, I just said that I can't get used to his movements

7. Ealsen

Ealsen Well-Known Member

But make sure you don't pick them cuz you think they are cool

Actually the only motivation I play Shun is because drunken moves are cool. And that of course still took me ages trying master him. And since I don't have l33t tapping skills I could never be really good playing Akira even though I like Akira /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

8. Jebus

Jebus Active Member

lol, I use Shun cuz I thought hes cool too, but still coolness shouldn't be a factor in choosing who to use. I have no tapping skillz also so if I thought Akira was cool (I dont), I would die trying to use Akira.

So all in all, who your most comfortable with should be the one you choose

9. agios_katastrof

agios_katastrof Well-Known Member

IMHO, personal liking of the character and his/her style has a lot to do with it. I've always preferred the wierdos over the Mario-Ryu types.

I'm new to VF, and I've been trying out most of the characters, but I haven't even touched Lau, Jacky and Sarah. They just don't appeal to me, and I have no incentive to learn them, no matter how good they are. I dunno, I just don't like these balanced mundane types.

Getting back to the topic, I've tried learning both Akira and Shun, and in my newbie perspective, I think Akira is much easier to use (contrary to what the silly manual states). I mean, yeah, that knee is pretty much impossible to do (what's up with that anyway? Do they really expect people to pull that off?), and I can't do a SPoD every time, but at least at my level of play, those two moves aren't necessary. Akira seems to have others moves catering to every given situation, that are rather intuitive to use. Shun on the other hand, I really like the guy's style, but my scrubby mindset just can't make good use of his abilities.

10. kungfusmurf

kungfusmurf Well-Known Member

Akira is not hard character to use but he is a hard to master in order to fully used his technique as natural as the rest of the VF4 cast. If you get a chance goto Daioh or Nomercy to watch some of high ranking Akira play & you'll notice how intimidating he can be. Since Akira has poor reaction time, speed & a difficult move format. You'll have to make up for it in order to use him at his fullest potiential which makes not only a technically challenging but a true character to master.

Like the knee for example which is nearly impossible to get out & I'd tried myself with no success. But I've seen people who do it & this is the attitude that I've taken. It seems impossible until you're achieve it & once that point is behind you, you're realize something new again. I'm still trying to get the combos out & with a PS2 pad it's not easy but I have gotten them out a couple of times. And I have to admit that it's very satisfying to be able to do it. If Sega made Akira's moves as easy to pull out as much faster simplier characters he would be very hard to bet.

11. Mike90210

Mike90210 Well-Known Member

Pick Shun...the world needs more Shun players.

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Akira cause Shun is Fuckin ugly!

13. ReCharredSigh

ReCharredSigh Well-Known Member

Shun: moves easy to pull off, play style hardest to master in the game(abusability of his moves is near zero)

Akira: moves arguably the hardest to pull off(but not impossible), play style one of the easiest in the game(abusability of some of his key moves is near total abusability)

pick your choice...

note that when i say abusability i don't mean trying it when obviously it's gonna get you in trouble; i'm referring to how many times you can connect the moves or use them per round

14. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

That's a pretty darned good 2-line summary of Akira and Shun /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

15. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

C'mon, old alcoholics are awesome
    Pick shun dude!!!

16. Tetra

Tetra Well-Known Member

If you like to press QCF alot cos you play loads of 2d fighters before VF4(I know it's hard to quit the fireball move addiction).

You should play Shun cos you will get to press LOTS of QCF+P /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

17. Shundi_05

Shundi_05 Well-Known Member

Hm.....

Akira also got QCB+P and it's also a good move. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

/versus/images/icons/smile.gif /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif /versus/images/icons/smile.gif "Look at my picture before my mule kick hit you in your face!" /versus/images/icons/smile.gif /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

18. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Arg, the world is already littered with more than enough Akira players!!

19. Akira_Dejan

Akira_Dejan New Member

I think you should go with Shun, Akira is waaaay to difficult to get doing for someone who just started and after a couple of fights with Akira you will be tossing the controller all over the room! Trust me, when i started the game i started with Jacky he is pretty easy to use, then Kage and now finally Akira.

20. Munki

Munki Member

I say Shun. I have been playing Shun for quite a bit now, and I love it. Also, one could argue that he has one of the most unique fighting styles found in most fighting games. Learning situations when to throw a drink in (which is almost like taunting your enemy) is one of the most satisfying things I have ever encountered in a fighting game to date.

OooK