1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Shun.................

Discussion in 'Shun' started by Cause, Mar 20, 2002.

1. Cause

Cause Well-Known Member

I've seen no movies, seen no dicussion about shun in VF4, anyone care to dicuss how he plays in comparison to VF3tb, where he stands, links to movies of "good" people playing as him, thanks.

2. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC
    maybe I can just add my thoughts here, as a casual shun player. I didn't really play shun in VF3 so much, but I've been trying him in 4, as I saw really strong shun players in tokyo last year. I don't know much, but seems like no one else wants to reply, so I will.

I think Shun is greatly improved over 3, but again that's an outsider's point of view.

I try to use u+K, d/b+K,K, d/f+P(P,K), the chouwan, b,f+P,P,P, and the "sleeping" stance a lot. playing shun against smart oppts is really hard to me. People in Japan make it look easy, but i tend to go back and forth between doing okay and just getting reamed. My friend tetsuya says the key to playing shun is to make the oppt angry, so I try to keep that in mind.

the black book says shun's basic flowchart starters are low K, P, and Low P. from there, go to the chouwan, d/b+K,K, d/f+P, Middle Kick, or Throw. It's a little more complex with regards to what they recommend following with what, but that's the basic gist of it.

I follow u+K with f+P+K if I need drinks, and with d/f+P,P,K (P+K+G) if I'm drunk. the black book says follow d+P with u+K to hit people trying a TE after the low P.

If shun's sober, a good combo is chouwan, b,f+P,P,P, d/f+P. If he's got 8 drinks, follow any floater with the d/f+P,P,K (P+K+G). some examples of moves you can begin with are u+K, chouwan, f+K+G, handstand P+K, counter hit d/f+P (after 18 drinks, I think) etc.

if you get a counter with D,d/f+P you can do d+P, d/b+P,K to all characters. Another cute combo is b, d/f+P, d+P, d/b+K,K.

His dodge attack is really good, andcan be followed with a lot of stuff it the oppt doesn't roll.

at the end of the round, you can get 4 drinks with P+K+G, HCF, P+K+G. If you get a RO, do HCF, P+K+G, P+K+G for 6 drinks.

there's a lot to shun, and I'm just beginning to understand, but overall, I'd say you have to be really careful, and make sure to think about how shun can control the fight; he doesn't have most of the toe-to-toe tools the more well-rounded characters have to work with. Oh yeah, if you have dexterity issues, I'd say shun isn't the character for you. most of his combos require precise input, and he can't afford to waste any chance he's given (like sleeping instead of chouwan after d/f+P+G doh!)

hope this helps. I'm actually just trying to break the ice so more people will talk, and maybe I can learn something. But, I think there's probably good info if you use the search.

Spotlite

3. Tetra

Tetra Well-Known Member

he got a much better p,p,d+k,k now. It's insanely strong after blocking moves that is punch counterable(eg, akira's shrmp)..

4. jackybrothas

jackybrothas Well-Known Member

a couple of sober shun version c. combos
    (the same as i posted a long time ago but now with an added punch)

1) qcf+p, p, p+k, k (p+k+g)

2) qcf+p, p, d/b+p, k

shun has high priority moves but it's hard to remember what to follow up with.

5. Ealsen

Ealsen Well-Known Member

I've been playing Shun for a long time but I don't claim I am a good Shun player. In my opinion, alot of mind games involved playing Shun. However, I can tell you some tricks that I like to do everytime I play.

1. d/f+p twice at the start of the game.
    If d/f+p MC-ed then do P+G throw.
    2. d+K at the start of the game. Then do d/b+p+k+g,p to
    dodge-back slap. Continue with qcf+P and do appropriate combo based on Shun-di's drunk points if opponent floats.
    3. Abuse d/b+p+k+g,p then qcf+P. After awhile your opponent will learn how to block your qcf+P.
    When you start noticing your qcf+P getting blocked, on your next d/b+p+k+g,p do throws instead of qcf+P.

4. Step back and give some distance away from your opponent. Press p+k+g to drink. This usually provoke your opponent into more aggresive toward you, hence he will step or run closer to attack you which in many case, puts them defenseless. Do qcf+P when you see your opponent running or moving toward you ( Practice so that you can get the feel the range and the timing to execute qcf+P )

5. When your opponent are on the ground and doesn't TR or QR. Run toward him and stand next to him. Do b+k+g when they are about to rise. In many situation, this will interrupt their rising attacks.

Well. Those are just some of my tricks that works for me. =) Hope it helps.

6. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Regarding the "angry opponent" comment, I would add that Shun has a lot of passive tactics. His ub+P+K+G, P is a good tool against expected linear attacks. At least from what I've seen, but it's always been quite good since VF3tb. Score a MC with that and you get a nice combo for free/versus/images/icons/smile.gif

One of Shun's more whorish moves is the low kick. It's not everything, and you shouldn't use it too much, but it's still abusable on the level of a whore attack.

I don't know if I can say that VF4 Shun is greatly improved over VF3tb Shun. But VF4 Shun is still quite powerful.

You might also want to try using the sidekick a bit. It seems toned down a bit in VF4, but your opponent still doesn't have a guaranteed option after blocking it. I personally also use b,f+Px quite a bit (x representing various options afterwards) and highly recommend Shun players to make use of it. It's an 8 frame punch that is only at a 5 frame disadvantage when blocked.

A sample flowchart that I use with the straight punch (b,f+P) includes typical options such as Throw, low kick (which would lead into another flowchart), df+P P K P+K+G, lying on the ground, u+P+K, etc... There's quite a bit that can actually be done after ticking the opponent with that move.

If you are interested in joining a form of a Shun community, you can check out a group I formed, <a target="_blank" href=http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vf4Shun/>VF4 Shun</a>. This is not to take away from posting on VFDC, but it might be easier to communicate through a mailing list community like this. It hasn't been too active lately, but I hope and plan to change that soon enough (when I have a PS2 and VF4 anyways).

-Chanchai

7. Shundi_05

Shundi_05 Well-Known Member

Hi!

If you want to use Shundi then you must learn how to drink well and keep your drink points (Dps) as well. Learn to drink in every possible situation like after K.O. Good knowledge of all moves which can increase your Dps and ways which you can successfully execute these moves.

P+K+G : + 1Dps
    f+P+K : + 3Dps
    P+K+G (lying or sitting stance) : + 3Dps
    P+G : + 4Dps
    b+P+G (wall throw) : + 5Dps
    P+G (back throw) : + 5Dps
    270 throw : + 6Dps

Have fun using Shundi. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif /versus/images/icons/frown.gif /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

8. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

Good post spotlite. Well since Spotlite said most of what I would of told you I will just say use f+k alot its a great move with damaging combo's to follow an MC. I think Old Man Palm is worth the risk of using alot as well. k+g,db+p are both very annoying to opponents as well. Have fun pissing people off:)

9. Ealsen

Ealsen Well-Known Member

Aye. Shun's d/b+P+K+G,P is powerful. But It has a fatal weakness, if u abuse it too much in "unnecessary" situation.
    characters with d+K,K(e.g. Lau, Pai, Sarah, Jacky) or low sweeps will kill d/b or u/b+P+K+G move.