1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Shun's bread and butter moves?

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by TONY_T, Feb 17, 2002.

1. TONY_T

TONY_T Active Member

Just wondering what are shun di's best and safest moves wich you can abuse and why?

2. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

the flying headbutt (f,f+P+K) - quick execution, hits low, super safe if blocked.
    handstand kicks - uncounterable, good range and damage, combos into 50% life with flying headbutt.
    b+K - super fast, leaves shun far from the opponent, if it connects opponent is staggered for free rising sweep ---> throw combo.
    b,b+P - if it hits, combo a TT d+K for free.
    d+K+G - faster recovery than you'd think, if it hits do f,f+P+K for 45% damage.

3. TONY_T

TONY_T Active Member

I think i know the ones your talking about, but can you give me the actual commands for the moves you havent, thanks.

4. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

sure, the commands are f,f+P+K
    b+K
    hcb, K
    d/b+K+G

..I think that's them

5. ghostdog

ghostdog Well-Known Member

1) chouwan (qcf+P or df, f+P): Shun's main floater. Hard to counter and executes fast. Once Shun gets +6 DP, you can add a backfist by tapping b+P (qcf+P, b+P)

2) mule kick (u+K): It's effectiveness has been toned down in version C, but it can be used as an alternative to the chouwan as a floater. It's throw counterable if I'm not mistaken, but can't be reversed.

3) standing punch (P) and low punch (d+P): both are used as poking attacks

4) mid kick (df+K) and low kick (d+K): Also useful as poking attacks.

5) spinning low kick (db+K): Good poking attack, and has several followup options:
    db+K, K: The second kick is a high kick and will knock down
    db+K(G): Cancelling the low kick will make Shun lie face down. Very good for avoiding counterattacks in case the low kick was blocked, and pressing K while Shun is lying down will execute the mule kick.
    db+K, K(G): Cancelling the high kick will make Shun lie face down. Good for avoiding counterattacks.

6) uppercut (df+P): Decent poking attack, but a better option would be the chouwan uppercut. However, when Shun gets 8 DP+, you can add on the thrust punch (or df+P, P).

7) backward dodge-swipe (db+P+K+G or ub+P+K+G, P): Useful poke when facing aggressive opponents. It floats when it hits as a MC.

8) dances with punches (P+G): Shun's standard throw, it gives Shun 4 DP.

9) surprise exchange (df+P+G): Shun rolls over the opponents back, which leaves Shun facing the opponents back. The chouwan uppercut is a recommended followup.

Also there are movelists available at virtuaproject.com and on this site, and there's a good number of movie clips at vf.dyndns.org, tbzone, daioh. The links can be found on the media page.

6. alantan

alantan Well-Known Member

the db+p+k+g,p is sooo strong. Dogdes a LOT of Vanessa's stuff. Does anyone knows what it the best move to use against this? Even after shun missed a dodge punch, I tried to lightning elbow but ended up eating another dodge punch.... recover REALLY fast. I think shun has initiative if blocked.

7. Nutlog

Nutlog Well-Known Member

Ghost has a good list going and Creed's stuff is good, too. I would warn against using the chouwan too much though as it's throw counterable as well (it's tough, but if they KNOW you're going to try it again, you'll eat the throw). I also TOTALLY agree with that damn special dodge attack. Very abusable.

8. ghostdog

ghostdog Well-Known Member

Thanks, Nutlog. I read somewhere that the chouwan uppercut can beat a standing punch at the beginning of the round. I don't really know if that's true, because I never had a chance to test it or see it myself, but that would be an added incentive to use the chouwan.

Also, the backward dodge-swipe is a very annoying poke, but can be followed up with a backfist (b+P), which if it hits turns the opponent around, allowing (but not guaranteeing) a quick attack with decent range, such as an uppercut-thrust fist (df+P, P) or maybe a chouwan uppercut.

9. imf

imf Well-Known Member

I don't know about the chouwan being throw counterable...VP has it listed as a -2 on block. hmm....

10. LittleWild

LittleWild Well-Known Member

Another aspect of using Shun effectively is to learn how to drink. Especially after you win a round.

Method1:
    9 cups, only when you ringout an opponent.

b>f, P+K+G, P+K+G, P+K+G

Method2:
    6 cups, only when you KO an opponent using P or d+P or b,f+PPP or d+K (you need to buffer the b>f) or rising attack (you need to buffer the b>f)

b>f, P+K+G, P+K+G

Method 3:
    4 cups, any other moves that KO an opponent. (besides P+G)

P+K+G, b>f, P+K+G

Method 4:
    1 cup, KO opponent using P+G throw.
    P+K+G

The above is translated from
    http://gameplay.jp/~d-net/vf4/koneta_sh.html

I recommend you to read the web site if you understand Japanese. Tons of info on how to use Shun.

11. Nutlog

Nutlog Well-Known Member

I simply posted that up because in the training trials for trial 13 (I think it's 13) Shun will occasionally do a chouwan and you get credit for throwing it. It also has en execution time of 15 frames, but it still has the property of beating any standing punch at round opening, like VF3 (I'm assuming that since it beats Sarah's, it should beat anyones), so that's another wierd aspect of the chouwan.

12. LittleWild

LittleWild Well-Known Member

Chouwan dodges high punch?

That is what I suspected when I played against Shundi_05 a while ago when I opened the round with a punch and he got me with chouwan.

I don't think the -2 frame when blocked is a correct figure though.....maybe someone with PS2 can try it out.

13. LiQuid_Fists

LiQuid_Fists Active Member

i mostly use Chouywan Upper, Uppecut, or p+k.. i mix it up too with lunging uppercut (b,d/f+p) n his cartwheel kick (f,f+k).. i tend not to stick to one move.. i always mix it up..
    also his d/b+p,d+k is ok..

14. nycat

nycat Well-Known Member

Re: Shun's bread and butter moves? Shun FAQ

Holly Green Onions! What a treasure of really effective FAQ posts here! Thx to all. Jang of MVP VF Club in Korea has just posted an excellent Step 2 guide that works in harmony with all of the above FAQ posts Tony_T. There is a link to his team's site on Lion page and numerous links to it here in media section. Use search feature here at VFDC. Excellent mpeg (imho) of <font color=white>Jang's VF4 Shun</font color=white> in all his drunken splendor in a battle with a very good Akira from another VF Club. <font color=yellow>CreeD</font color=yellow> has it on his ftp (use search) or click on <font color=yellow>CreeD</font color=yellow>'s name in his post in this thread and then click on display all posts to find it. Sake and maksiju will flow like water at VF4 Gotham BBQ this weekend. Jang wrote it in both Korean and in English..... hic-up. hahaha-burp-ahhha . We hope to make mpegs this weekend of <font color=red>Nelson's Shun</font color=red> as this weekend.

15. number 6

number 6 Active Member

Re: Shun's bread and butter moves? Shun FAQ

Uhhh how about a direct link to the Korean FAQ? That's gotta be a similar amount of work to posting in fourteen fruity colors.

16. OjPimPsOn

OjPimPsOn New Member

i havent checked any of the frames for shun so maybe one of u nerds can check this out for me =PP
    after the backfist i usually go for a d/f+K (if that connects) a quick b,d/f+P?
    i think it works for me, but my friends are scrubs so...

17. Ealsen

Ealsen Well-Known Member

You can actually try for (chouwan)QCF+P combo after (backfist)b+P. They "usually" connect and I think chouwan should be guaranteed if backfist hits as MC.