1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

silenced buttons?

Discussion in 'Joysticks and Other Controllers' started by Unicorn, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Kikimaru

Kikimaru Well-Known Member

PSN:
    kikimaru024
    Paradise Arcade's parts are the exact same as Sanwa's, he's just selling them at a lower price.

He's on holidays atm but should be back in 2-3 weeks.

Meanwhile, the HBSF-30 project has been funded, so production WILL be going ahead :)

Chanchai likes this.
  2. Dennis0201

Dennis0201 Well-Known Member

good news! looking for more information coming

3. capt_catalina

capt_catalina Well-Known Member

PSN:
    capt_catalina
    Looks like the HBFS-30's are a go, as funding has been raised successfully.

Seems Sanwa is working on something as well, as the upcoming Exar Guilty Gear stick will have their new silenced buttons and stick...that would be worth a look too.

4. Kikimaru

PSN:
    kikimaru024
    Those buttons are already out. 1,050yen for a pack of 4.
    They're simply OBSF-30 with a foam layer. http://item.rakuten.co.jp/sanwadenshi/c/0000000336/
    Also, out-of-stock.

SRK user SUPARNOVAX posted a video:

FocusAttack were working on their own foam inserts, too.

5. capt_catalina

PSN:
    capt_catalina
    Less than 15 hours before the HBFS-30 campaign ends! Support while you still can!

6. Unicorn

Unicorn Well-Known Masher Content Manager Wolf

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    I already did... Hope to get the buttons ASAP, playing with stick under the sheet is way 2 much of a HOT way how to play VF in summer

Chanchai and capt_catalina like this.
  7. DomAug

DomAug dom Content Manager Lion Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    domaug
    dammit i didn't donate in time for the cause... luckily they're more than $4000 over their goal :D

i just have to wait longer to place a pre-order... :(

8. capt_catalina

PSN:
    capt_catalina
  9. Unicorn

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    it looks like they will have 24mm as well, that should great news for me (depending on how satisfied I will be with their 30mm)

10. DomAug

PSN:
    domaug
    preordered the 8-button set. can't wait. :D

i'm actually glad that the kit will come with 8 adapter sockets instead of 16 quick connect wires. for my mods, i don't really need the extra quick connects. if one of my wires' quick connects breaks, on the other hand... well, that's a different story. but i'll want the adapter sockets first lol

11. capt_catalina

PSN:
    capt_catalina
    The HBFS-30's are making great progress, should be shipping coming end of November! Check out http://www.gamefinger.com for more info!

DomAug likes this.
  12. Kikimaru

PSN:
    kikimaru024
    Fixed link for you.

capt_catalina and DomAug like this.
  13. Unicorn

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    Got my HBFS yesterday. Put them in stick today.
    The noise reduction is really noticeable. The buttons seems to be solid and nice to touch, but there are some details regarding technical solution I do not like completely.

14. Dennis0201

Dennis0201 Well-Known Member

Can you describe a little bit?? I'd like to know if it's worth to get these buttons.

15. Unicorn

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    What I like:
    * The 45g switch is really easy to press
    * option to switch mikroswitches
    * the surface is nice to touch
    * the noise is noticeably lover
    * nice look
    * awesome package

what I am not sure I like or not; or even care
    * the buttons are like 0,5 mm higher that sanwa ones I usually use
    * the edges are sharper that on sanwas (jist a little bit)
    * the quick connect thingies looks a little... crappy. I also hope they will not loosen while playing. Will see after few weeks
    * when you disassemble button and then put it back together, it feels somehow crappy afterward from all sides except top. Takes some time before it holds together properly. Stupid in combination with how buttons are installed (about this later on)

things I do not like
    * I have crystal version and it turned out that under the crystal octagon, there is black circle. Looks stupid, if you have pale artwork. Dunno if it will be noticable on dark one
    * the way how the microswitch can be changed basically ensures that while installing to the stick, you will take button to pieces. Not real problem, just feels incredible stupid. Nothing better that moving whole bed just cause the button part drops under it while putting stick together

I will take few pictures later on

DomAug and Dennis0201 like this.
  16. Unicorn

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    I am sorry for the quality, pictures where taken in hurry
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

17. MakiLeSushi

MakiLeSushi Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

PSN:
    MakiLeSushi
    XBL:
    MakiLeSushi
    I don t agree =/

18. DomAug

PSN:
    domaug
    after receiving my HBFS-30 buttons (black version), i agree with just about everything here. i like the adapter plug idea for "easier" button swaps, but the copper tabs feel flimsy and so do the metal pins on the microswitches. it feels like even the slightest force will bend them and i'm not fond of that, but i'll see how they fare in playtesting.

so far, though, my impression of them before installing them is not bad. my one issue is that one of the plungers popped off the button as soon as i removed it from the fancy box they came in (which is nice for storing the 8 buttons i'm replacing; very good thinking IMO). i had to jam it back into place. unlike Sanwa button plungers that have tabs on each side to keep them in the rim, the HBFS-30 plungers are held in with a cylinder that "grabs" the Cherry MX microswitches. i'm not very fond of this, but i'm sure i'll get used to it.

believe it or not, just pressing them revealed a difference: they are significantly quieter than the standard Sanwa buttons. this is a big reason why i bought these anyway and it's nice that the difference is noticeable.

the build quality is questionable outside of the quick disconnect adapter plugs. one of my buttons has scratches all over one end of the plunger and it's disappointing for what i paid for these buttons (i understand they're a first batch, though, so i'll cut the guy some slack). also, it's evident where these buttons were snapped away from their molds, because the corners where they were supposedly separated weren't sanded. basically every button has a rough corner and this is also disappointing. despite the issues, though, the plungers and rims feel very smooth and polished (except in some parts where there are smudges/scratches).

until i playtest these buttons, i don't know if i'd recommend them until the manufacturer gets more experience with selling his product as cleanly as possible. i still don't blame him since a project of this magnitude was underway less than a year ago. if these buttons play as well as the Sanwa buttons, i'd recommend them.

19. J6Commander

J6Commander Well-Known Member

I also bought a set and they are indeed very quiet. Not liking the design with needle alike contact points from microswitch, they could easily bendable/breakable. The adapter also doesn't feel secure into place and I ended up using electric tapes on all my buttons. Overall workable but I hope the design can be improved. Here are some pics before I tape them.

Attached Files:

DomAug likes this.
  20. DomAug

PSN:
    domaug
    what i had to do was get them onto the microswitch pins initially and then push them down farther into place with a hard object (like the flat side of a flat-head screwdriver).

i agree though, the early design needs work, but so far i like the buttons. with the red Cherry MX switches, they feel very comfortable.