1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

silenced buttons?

Discussion in 'Joysticks and Other Controllers' started by Unicorn, Jul 22, 2012.

1. capt_catalina

capt_catalina Well-Known Member

PSN:
    capt_catalina
    Once I can get my mitts on a set of theses, soldering them in will make me happy.

2. Unicorn

Unicorn Well-Known Masher Content Manager Wolf

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
  3. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

I got one silent button on my hitbox. I'm looking for 24mm silent buttons now though. Our shop in the city only makes 30mm silent buttons.

4. Unicorn

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    well, the inside of 24 and 30 mm SANWA buttons is similar, only smaller "around"
    Should be pretty easy to just cut out the overlapping part of rubber.?

Also Gamerfinger promised that their new silent buttons will be 24mms as well

5. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

I am very lucky... as AJS has witnessed... that my daughter doesn't wake up to VFing (at least in my home's arrangement) ^_^

But we will see if I am so lucky with the possibly next child :p

That said, still looking into silent buttons. The last set I tested were pretty good, though a little stiff feeling too.

6. Unicorn

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    Chanchai likes this.
  7. capt_catalina

PSN:
    capt_catalina
    I did a pre-order on the HBFS30-G2's, which should be shipping in another few days. This should be a great upgrade for my 18 month old Brawlstick.

8. mfwebdude

mfwebdude Well-Known Member

PSN:
    x_Reikan_x
  9. Tricky

Would those work in 24mm buttons?

10. mfwebdude

PSN:
    x_Reikan_x
    think so. says any 24mm or 30mm sanwa, so i'm guessing snaps or screw ins.

i might switch to sanwa just to test some out, if they do indeed work for screw ins

11. Tricky

Let me know how it turns out for you and I'll get a pair for my stick if it sounds good!

12. mfwebdude

PSN:
    x_Reikan_x
    finally got them installed. the silencers do indeed fit the 24mm sanwas (they are tiny). I gave them a test run last night on the 30mm buttons. They are pretty effective at cutting the sharp, higher pitched sounds, and don't change button travel that much.

I installed them in my 24mm, but they won't get a proper test since those are just my start/select/home. Should be just as good for them though.

13. capt_catalina

PSN:
    capt_catalina
    • These are some killer buttons. With the red switches, they give incredible response, and make piano inputs a breeze. Even for shmups (I play 1943: The Battle of Midway primarily), these can take the beating.

I mounted them in my Brawlstick earlier this week. I can confirm that it's a snug fit in the holes, but I managed to get them all in there with some elbow grease. I did encounter a couple hiccups along the way such as the tabs, but was able to recover. The button height gives more of a leaf switch button kinda feel, without the heavy pressure that they can have sometimes.The engagement spacing might throw of who are used to OBSF's, but for my heavy hands I don't notice it, if at all.

14. d3v

d3v Active Member

Unicorn likes this.
  15. Unicorn

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    wanna make your own silenced SANWAs (@Tricky :) )

Tricky likes this.
  16. Tricky

So I did this DIY silent mod and it works pretty damn well. You can also get the tactile feedback you want based on how much padding and type of padding you use.

17. Airegin

Airegin Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Airegin42
    XBL:
    Airegin42
    I was looking for a place to share my experiences with silent parts and it looks like I won't have to make a new thread! Please excuse the necro. :)

For this year's Sega Cup, I ended up outfitting my new Qanba Q2 with a full assortment of silent joystick parts. First the Sanwa OBSFS-30-XX Silent Buttons which I've had for a while, then the brand new 2014 edition of the Sanwa JLF-TPRG-8AYT-SK Silent Stick.

I was first interested in these parts last year, but after giving them a shot in a test stick I found that the older model silent JLF had some funky feeling diagonals, as well as a responsiveness that I found lacking. However, I did enjoy the buttons which were noticeably quieter, and I liked the "mushy" feel that everyone else seemed to complain about. It still wasn't enough for me to jump ship from the stock parts though.

A year later, with more experience under my belt, I found myself looking for a stick and button combo that fit me personally a little better. With noise being an issue in my living situation, I adopted the buttons a few months ago, and initially had absolutely no problems. I dig the feel and the definitely sound a lot quieter.

The week before Sega Cup, NCR went down in Sacramento, and I was able to check out the Arcade Shock booth and their new 2014 silent JLF. Simply put, it felt wonderful. So wonderful in fact that I bought one right there and installed it a week before Sega Cup. I looked at the event as a trial by fire for the new parts, and I'm here to report that the high level of play definitely highlighted the pros and cons that I was looking for.

After a few months of steady use, I've found that the silent buttons have become surprisingly inaccurate. This becomes really obvious when going for something that requires hitting multiple buttons together, like a simple tech roll in VF or an EX move in Street Fighter. I think the problem lies in the button design. The foam pad that deadens the sound of the button activating can wear at different rates for each individual button, which leaves you with 8 buttons that all take different weight to activate. This is absolutely unacceptable, and the more I use the buttons, the worse this issue becomes.

The silent stick still feels wonderful, but to be fair I've only had it a few weeks at this point. I'm still not completely used to it. I find the hardest part is differentiating between diagonals and straight directions. I found myself dropping simple screw hook enders to a few combos because my 624 p instead came out as a 2 p. I suspect that my hand just didn't go all the way to the 4 direction, so it got stuck as a 1 and gave me a crouch punch. But I'm pretty convinced that's just simple user error and not being completely used to the stick yet. I honestly have no complaints. The stick feels incredibly smooth, and I can definitely feel and see the difference in tougher execution games like KOF.

As of right now, I think I'm gonna swap the buttons back to stock Sanwas and keep the silent stick. I'd be curious to know if anyone here has tried out the new Gamerfinger buttons that were linked here last year. It's a lot of money to drop on buttons if they turn out having the same issue with wear, but I'm definitely interested.

Thanks for reading!!

Dennis0201 and Jay David like this.
  18. floodnhard

floodnhard Active Member

Good write up airegin. I felt the same way
    when I have used peoples sticks with silent buttons that they felt uneven and have a mushy feel to them. I really wanted silent buttons until I actually tried them.

19. Unicorn

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    personally, I am using OBFS-30 for some time and except the fact they are eating dirt from your fingers like there is no tomorrow (so you need to clean them up a bit here and there, what is quite disgusting), the 2nd generation feels awesome.
    I am also using normal SANWA 24mm with Shadaloo silencers (2 silencers per one button) and I love them a lot. Basically you get standard SANWA with slightly shorter travel distance and significantly reduced sound

20. SUGATA

SUGATA Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SUGATA_RUS
    1) What is the difference between Sanwa 30 buttons OBSF and silent OBSFS, except less noise (may be longer longer travel distance, less responsive , etc)?

2) Are there 24 Sanwa buttons (i found only OBSFS 30)?