1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

simple PS2 evo vanessa stuff

Discussion in 'Vanessa' started by alantan, Mar 16, 2003.

1. alantan

alantan Well-Known Member

Went back to playing Vanessa as she looks pretty good

Finally have time to test out some offensive mode stuff.

She has three damaging moves that comes out in 16 frames I think,

1) f(hold), K
    2) f,f+k
    3) FC,k

all is quite difficult to execute for people like me... sigh why don't they just make one of this moves a simple f+k....

All is pretty useful though cuz their damage potential is very high and recovers pretty fast for such high damage potential.

1) f(hold) k... head crumble on MC. my followup is the standard f+p,p,k. Is there a better one? The good thing about this is that it is half circular and recovers in -2 meaning you can interrupt almost every high/mid move with a d/f+p

2) f,f+k,f+p+k kind of tedious as you have to enter the f+p+k everytime you do this move. enters delta hold on MC so it is also pretty good but find this move too many inputs...

3) FC K. good after d+p. After that you give the new crumble. your options here is rather interesting. Not as good as goh's but still okay. You can go for low throws, or an attack. The game recommends d/f+k,k which I think is pretty bad as you end up at a disadvantage. p+k,p is better I think. My favourite is f,f+k which will stagger and followed by pk. The pk can be struggled up by the CPU at fast struggle setting but not normal struggle setting so I think it is pretty hard to struggle out of. The f+p stagger PK can be struggled out by a normal struggle CPU.

2. alantan

just discovered something interesting about delta hold. It seems that the damage is dependent on when you enter your commands. The longer you delay are input, the lower the damage! I never knew that

3. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

I saw an interesting vanessa sort-of-combo in one of the replay files on PS2 evo. But I don't play vanessa so I don't know if it's a reliable flowchart/combo.

OS FC,[K](MC) --> [6][6]+[K] --> [6]+[P]+[K] --> [3]+[P]+[K],[K] --> [3]+[K]

So the first hit causes goh-crumple, second hit gives a stagger. f+P+K slams the opponent during the stagger, and df+P+K,K combos from the slam. If they fail to tech roll, the final kick slams for a ground kick. I'm guessing this is strugglable and TR'able all over the place, but it worked against a good japanese player, so it might be useful to try against anyone. Also, I've just learned that OS f+P is probably a safer option to get a stagger than f,f+K (recovers faster). Total damage is near 60 pts if they fall for it.

4. alantan

you do not want to use the f+p after the FC K (MC) as the f,f+k is confirmed (no risk) and it gives more damage and stronger stagger.

some more stuff.

OS
    1) d+k,p looks better. If you see a MC, just hit the extra P for knockdown. If you see it blocked, the b+p is a force block, ie the opponent CANNOT crouch or d+p after block the first P unlike the old d+k,p,p. So you end up with a +2 frame advantage with the option to go into delta hold or f+p.

Does anyone has any experience in breaking delta hold? Is it simple to do multiple escapes?

5. Zero-chan

Zero-chan Well-Known Member

Only one escape command can be entered per hit in the mount, according to my teammates. From my experience this seems to be the case.

6. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    [ QUOTE ]
    alantan said:

you do not want to use the f+p after the FC K (MC) as the f,f+k is confirmed (no risk) and it gives more damage and stronger stagger.

[/ QUOTE ]

The [6][6][K] recovers much slower than the [6][P] for you to really take advantage of the stagger though.

Just some other random stuff.

OS [K][G] (kick cancel) looks really weird and could have some use in psyching out the opponent or foiling throw attempts, etc. I wish she could [P][K][G] cancel too.

OS [K][P] stomach crumples on MC and can be delayed quite a long time!

7. alantan

you can test which is the better stagger by the
    free training mode. On a normal struggle CPU, the CPU
    will be hit by the PK after the f,f+k stagger but NOT
    the f+p stagger.

8. alantan

some new stuff

after head crumble, ie d/f+p+k (hit)
    p+k,p,d+k is more damaging than the f+p,k,k

p+k,p is not as good as last time but still okay. Good damage for the first hit, second hit leaves Vanessa with +2 so FC+P will interrupt low P. Second hit when blocked is -3 so a d/f+p will interrupt elbow.

After the low P reversal, you have to dash forward a little to connect the d/f+p+k.

Another question have anyone have any experience in breaking the sleeper hold?? Is it really simple or is it quite tough. I mean how much damage do the opponent usually eat? 10, 20 30???

9. Mike90210

Mike90210 Well-Known Member

cool stuff alan. I wish I had the motivation to learn vanessa more in depth....
    Usually when I get the sleeper hold I get about 20-30pts. My friends usually dont recognize it fast enought to get out with only 10pts of damage. I rarely get 40 though...

10. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

It's supposed to be harder to escape in Evo...every time the CPU gets me with it she usually takes off 20-30 points.

11. Chibitox

Chibitox Well-Known Member Bronze Supporter

I'm learning Vanessa so I have Some random question to you guys /versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

what are your most common setups for the DS [4][3]+[P]+[K] sabaki, as far as I'm concerned I often use it after blocking a high rising kick, in this situation, people are threaten to be thrown so they usually go for the low punch so I mix it with throw and ff+k for happy dodgers, and you ?

Same question for the b+p, what are your setups and what flowchart do u use if it guarded (+5) ,hit (+9), and MC (+20). ( ver C frame stats but doesn't seem to have change a lot Imho)
    By the way a hit gives u +9 but is the throw guaranted after the hit ? And after a MC is the opponent able to lp or not.
    For this one I usually go for the DS ff+k (a lot of people are trying to escape in this situation) or throw mixup but what do you do in OS since u d'ont have the ff+k ?

And the last one, is the OS [6]+[P]+[K] still a special high or just a high in evo ?

Thanks

12. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    I've yet to play Vanessa to any great lengths in Evo yet, but my answers may help you.

Setups for the low punch sabaki, a common one is the [1] or [2_][K]. It's a similar setup Wolf uses too, and works against some people until they wisen up. As you described with the rising kick example, any situation where you think the opponent will [2][P] out of desperation is ideal for a setup. I know some guys that will [2][P] everything, and some will ETEG in the same situation, so setups will depend on your opponents obviously. A good followup worth practicing is the boomerang hook [3][P]+[K]. Since you recover crouching, you need to quickly buffer a forward dash so the boomerang hook can come out. This produces a head crumble on normal hit, so just followup with any combo afterwards. [P]+[K][P] ~ [1][K] is decent.

I have to say that I don't use the [4][P] much anymore. If the stats are the same as ver.c then, then let me just say a quick word about throwing with 8+ frame advantage -- in general, it's not possible because opponent's can't be thrown during hit stun, no matter how long that stun lasts for. However, having said that, there are some hit stuns that do allow a throw, and Vanessa's [4][P] is one of them. After normal hit though, +9 is still not enough because she's too far away to throw and needs to dash in. By the time you've dashed in, the advantage is gone. But on MC it's a different story, because you've got +20 frames. If this is still like ver.c then a throw is guaranteed after a quick dash in. Give it a try.

Back in the day when nobody was used to Vanessa, I used to use [4][P] a lot, and then followup with [2][K][P] combo, do a quick hit check and if the [2][K] MCs, finish off the combo with the last [P] and then big down attack.

Unfortunately, [6][P]+[K] is just a high attack (not special high).

Hope this helps.

13. Chibitox

Thanks a lot.
    I will experiment withe the [4]+[P] (MC) throw

For the [4][3]+[P]+[K] setup I noticed that after a [1]+[K] a lot of people tend to go on the offensive with hard middle attacks cause the frames stats are not very good for vane even if it hits (That' the same for Aoi [2]+[K]+[G]) so I find it risky to go for the sabaki the first time , but this move is risky anyway.

I will experiment with the followup you mention and especially I will try to see if they are some backstagger options if the opponent tech, but I 'm not sure the d+K recovery will be fast enough to dash in and side kick or low throw. /versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I already thought about the [2]+[P]+[K],[K] followup but I prefer to save it for the OS as you can do the first hit , see if it MCs or not, and then go for the canned standard string or go for the canned [P], [4]+[P] into takedown throw (funky /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif)

Anyway I believe vanessa is a really interresting character, but man I find it kindah hard to be consistant with her. You can't rely on 2 or three very effective moves or big juggles like other characters, u really have to figure out your opponent's game especially in DS.

I also noticed that her [[G]]+[2]+[P] as been tweakned in evo as it seems not as invincible as in ver.c (it it goes through attacks less efficently I think) I am dreaming ?

14. hananokeiji

hananokeiji Well-Known Member

i would like to ask, is there any easy way to do van's OS [6_][K] to come out more reliably after [2][P]? it seems to me that i usually ends up to be [6][K]after the [2][P]. right now, i am using [G] and hold [6_] to get that [6_][K] move out. any better ways? thank you guys!

15. Chibitox

I don't have any problem with this move.
    I don't understand why you're using [G] ?
    Perhaps you're getting the WS [K], if that's so you have to wait a little more before pressing the [K].Or try inputing a dash quickly just after the LP to go from crouch to standing instantly.

But really it seems to flow for me, so I can't help.