1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Slipping and avoiding attacks

Discussion in 'Brad' started by Blahzie, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Blahzie

Blahzie Well-Known Member

So the way I understand it is that slipping in an direction but backward avoids highs and throws, but I seem to get standing-thrown regularly while slipping. Does anyone have any reliable info?

Thanks.

2. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Only ducking will always avoid a high throw, but can be low thrown!

The animation of Slipping left or right avoids highs as well, and hence will make a throw miss animation, but at the end of the Slip you're in a standing state, and susceptible to being thrown again.

If you can react fast enough to an attempted throw, you should attack from your Slip for a crumple + combo.

Experiment in Training mode by setting the CPU to Guard and counter attack with a throw. Go into slipping with attacks like /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif, etc, and watch what happens as the CPU tries to throw you.

3. shadowmaster

shadowmaster Well-Known Member

PSN:
    animelord79
    XBL:
    shadoolord1979
    Would timing a ducking dash forward and backwards really fast do this. If you know some one might do a throw and you do a crouching dash back to evade the attack and attack right away while they are recovering even dashing forwards slightly while they are recovering.

4. tonyfamilia

tonyfamilia Well-Known Member

Just to add to what Myke said, you CAN be low thrown while Slipping Left/Right.
    But yeah, slipping to avoid a throw and countering with hook to the head is very satisfying.

5. Blahzie

Well, I have to confirm that slipping left/right does not avoid high throws. Maybe my timing is off, though.

6. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    No, not quite. I had originally said:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The animation of Slipping left or right avoids highs as well, and hence will make a throw miss animation, but at the end of the Slip you're in a standing state, and susceptible to being thrown again.</div></div>
    So you can avoid throws, its just dependent on timing.

7. Blahzie

I understood what you said, bro, and you're right... but I don't think hook interrupts throw attempts though. I'll have to test some more.

8. Sorias

Sorias Well-Known Member

Any attack interrupts a throw attempt. You just have to make sure you've actually started the attack animation. For instance, you can buffer an attack during recovery frames, but you can still be thrown until the recovery actually ends. I don't actually know whether there are frames where you can be thrown between the slipping animation and the start of the attack from slipping, unfortunately. But to sum up, everything in this game is timing.