1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

so, tell me about your current VF scene..

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by BK__, May 13, 2005.

1. _Berserker_

_Berserker_ Well-Known Member

Hey, I still play vf for food. (They gave me butter for the bread tonight!!)

2. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

hahaha, heeey Rui, howz it going, long time no see doood /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif

how are things right now. good? but hey playing VF for food is cool too, means it's just become you life (lol)

keep playing man, VF5 is commin soon, lets hope you dont have to travel to london all the time to play it this time /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. nou

nou Well-Known Member

Posted in Jamboree. Found the Tucson, Az thread. Hasn't been posted in it since 2002. I feel like a dumbass for not getting active. Since at the time the thread was going, I didn't have shit going on and was playing VF4 and Fighters Megamix and VF2 while stoned off my ass.....

I guess VF5 is coming and all but still....

4. Genzen

Genzen Well-Known Member

Well, if anyone in UK is interested, I am organising a meeting on the 2nd of July. At the moment it's just the usual crew who are interested, but other people from further afield are more than welcome.
    Anyone who is interested can either post on this thread, the North UK VF Thread or just PM me......

5. Shou

Shou Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    BK__ said:
    the way i see it is that players are dedicated to train up, the difference is the top players knew how

[/ QUOTE ]

This is something that was discussed on here before but we know how that went. /versus/images/graemlins/blush.gif In the kind of environment Western players have, there is really only one way to get good and that is to study/understand the game but few have/can do it that way.

Anyway, I can give a report of what it is like here at ground zero, Tokyo. I would say about half of the top heads have already quit playing the game. They all have their personal reasons. For example, Gorilla quit because he lost his card and Sega wouldn't replace the data. Anii and Tsuchikumo have newborns. Players like Jin play maybe once a month. Every Friday night at Nishispo is where you can get real comp. Outside of that, you may be lucky to find a strong playere here or there at Nishispo. Beyond that arcade, you will have to know players and find out when they go to their local spots. Otherwise, it is a ghost town. VF is on its way out here but it still is more played than T5. At Nishispo, which is the arcade for both games, there are 4 T5 setups vs 11 FT setups. The regular famous players who I often see are Edo, Mask, Mukki, and K2. On Fridays, Chibita, Nuki, Ohsu, Koedo, Fuudo, Yoro, Kurita and the like come out.

6. SlimTYME

SlimTYME Well-Known Member

Well, speaking from the viewpoint of someone who has used to have no VF play at all when I was growing up. (I.E. No VF arcade machines in local areas AT ALL from 1995 til about 2001 and no 2play AT ALL as well) I am pleased to get the 'small crumb's of play I ever get of VF TBH. In terms of actual time playing VF in two player, it must equal a pathetic 4-5 a week tops. The thing is, I actually relish EVER second of play I manage to get VF, because it's so rare. I personally find this a really sad fact, although VF not being as people as other fighting games is another matter altogether.

I would love the scene to be bigger though, but I guess it's just not gonna happen. I do find it ironic that I'm going to London this Friday for a Tekken 5 tournie and I'll be praying for the T5 machines to change into FT cabinets LOL. Don't worry, I won't hold my breath.

7. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

shou, the regulars you mentioned on fridays, are they still really regular? -- i have a big feeling that by the time i plan another trip to japan, there will be nobody to play against, lol.

thanks all for sharing your thoughts and feedback, since VF5 has already been unveiled, seems like it's the only way to put VF back in a strong position for mass players.

the only thing i am worried about is sega's tendencies to almost completely deface how VF is played in the sequels... meaning that is training now still worth it really?

8. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

Training now probably won't matter much in terms of strategy and tricks. The only thing you can prepare for is reaction time and input precision imo...

9. Aoi_Mei

Aoi_Mei Well-Known Member

Guess the scene in here is still alive...somehow. T5 has taken the interest of most of the people but they still haven´t stopped playing VF, I think.
    I definitely still play VF(though in one moment I felt like quitting), but lately I´ve spend my days with TimeSplitters FP online /versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif.
    Problem here (in Oulu) is just the lack of players, still...

10. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

yeah, i wish sega would release some information on the game system, it's a shame these things always come last after all the press-related / mass-appeal visual show-off displays /versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

ahh well, still early days yet.

11. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Sydney, Australia.

We still play FT (ver.A) weekly, usually every Friday night. There are around 3 regulars including myself, then there's a couple of semi-regulars and maybe a few more occasional/casual players.

The scene here isn't as strong as it once was, but it's still here.

12. ETPharaoh

ETPharaoh Well-Known Member

Our small but dedicated VF scene that constitutes the Minnesota crew has been around for about 10 years now. There's myself, Sam (Lion), Jesse (ex-Jacky, now plays Shun mainly with Jeffry as a side character), Boyd (Jacky), and Alexei (Akira). We all were very lucky in the sense that each of us worked at a very cool local arcade during the mid 90's so we had limitless access to VF2/3 early on. In fact, the only noteworthy VF tourney ever to be held here in MN was held at our old arcade (which has sadly closed since then). Got the chance to play alot of familiar names. Omaha Jeffry etc. The winner of that tourney took alot of static from the out of towners. Interesting to read the comments/debate in the following old post tourney comments from Chicago people, MN people and more at the old hardcoregaming.com site. If you're interested:

http://www.hardcoregaming.com/vf3/tournresp.htm

Even more discussion and more static thrown at Bryan (the MN winner) for being "machi":

http://www.hardcoregaming.com/vf3/pvfrecoil6.htm

Some familiar names to be seen.

At any rate, we still play relatively often despite the lack of access to FT though the head of games at GameWorks corporate HQ informed me that we will supposedly be getting FT here sometime later in the year.

Team MN Air Force.. We're like stealth (and we hop/jump alot - if you didn't know): We're here (and have been here for a long time) though very few know it.

13. imf

imf Well-Known Member

I train everyday in a field by myself, it's intense.

14. MADrox

MADrox Well-Known Member

Hey Sam,,

Damn, nice to hear the boyd, jesse, and alex are still in this --- curious , i ask shota about all the crews most of the time..
    I do remember that winner ,, brian , i think - he was just kind of dorky ,, i think that is the main reason he got a lot of heat (at least from ed and myself).
    Everyone else at gathering were soooo easy to talk to except for him.

I think in chi-town, we want ot get into it , but i think VF 4 got milked - similar to all the different street fighter 2's - they could have just saved for one big VF5. VF3 lasted a good 3 years at least .

Anyway, nice to hear of the Minny Crew.

Boto-stino

15. kungfusmurf

kungfusmurf Well-Known Member

Here @ NYC, it sucks for me since I get my ass kicked constantly w/ a 24% on my card. /versus/images/graemlins/frown.gif

16. KiwE

KiwE Well-Known Member

Well atleast you dropped the pad Smurf. That has to count for something.

Jokes aside; it would be a pure joy to be a part of a scene where everybody is that good so stop complaining!!11

/KiwE