1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

So what old school games, are you guys currently playing?

Discussion in 'General' started by beanboy, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Emptyeyes

Emptyeyes Well-Known Member

Phantasy Star. I will buy the Street Fighter 30 th anniversary collection when I get a chance. I'm waiting for Samurai Showdown Neogeo collection. Romancing Saga series is something I should finish.

beanboy likes this.
  2. nou

nou Well-Known Member

Yakuza 3 remastered on PS4.

Still early but loving it so far. I figured it counts since Yakuza 3 is ten years old, and that's considered ancient for the internet. Digging the laid back vibe, single character gameplay and the lack of skill trees.

jimi Claymore likes this.
  3. beanboy

beanboy Well-Known Member

Played some KOF 2000 Friday night and yesterday. I'm trying to learn Kasumi and Bao. The stages in that game are really nice.

4. beanboy

Cool! And yeah, a Samurai Showdown Neo Geo collection, would be a good buy. But which console version of SF 30th Anniversary collection, are you planning to buy?

jimi Claymore likes this.
  5. Emptyeyes

Emptyeyes Well-Known Member

The Nintendo Switch. It's the only recent generation console I have.

beanboy and jimi Claymore like this.
  6. smbhax

smbhax Well-Known Member

PSN:
    smbhax
    VF 4 and VF 10th Anniversary on PS2, if those are old enough to count. : )

KOF 2000 on MVS
    Street Fighter Alpha 3 Upper on SFA Anthology on PS2
    3rd Strike in Street Fighter Anniversary Collection on PS2

7. masterpo

masterpo VF Martial Artist Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    lastmonk
    Yea, I think the publisher closed down the New York studio that originally made Fight For New York and gave the franchise to the Canadians (It was something like that) and the new developers fucked it all up with Def Jam ICon:mad:

I thinks as time goes on people are going to rebel against all of this microtransaction games as a service bull$hit and just play older games. I can see going back to last gen, and the gen before that becoming a popular thing. I'm really starting to see more gatherings where people are bringing older games and consoles plugging them into HD and just having good ole fashion fun:LOL:

8. beanboy

These days I'm playing Last Blade 2 and Fighting Vipers 2.

I might check out that Fighting Force 2 game soon. For years I heard fans say, that Fighting Force 2 is a piece of crap, and others have said it is okay, but the first game is way better. I think the mixed reviews of the game, is the reason why I'm curious to play it. I have too see for myself, if this old game is good or not.

It's also interesting to note, that Fighting Force was supposed to be a prototype, for Streets of Rage 4 many years ago. But Sega declined. Now that is quite some history.:holla::D

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    smbhax likes this.
  9. beanboy

I'm playing alot of old school games.
    Played my copy of VF4 Evo the other day on lame ol' PS2.

Gosh! I am a bit rusty. That is not good at all. But after 8 minutes, my skills were coming back, moreso with Vanessa and Shun Di and even Lion.

Damn you Lei Fei and your cheap shaolin combos/mix ups. It serves you right, that I ended up kicking your bald headed butt, eight times in a row. Take that! Grrrr!:mad:

PS: Lord! After many years playing VF4 on PS2, I still say that PS2 controllers suck. How the heck do people play on that thing? Lol!:p

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  10. jimi Claymore

jimi Claymore Well-Known Member

i'm playing a lot of Outrun via Yakuza 0 on xbox one, my first time with this game was recent in 2019 with Fist of the north star Yakuza game (Hokuto ga gotoku)
    and i just want to say this: is timeless

Is amazing how fun can be a 38yrs old game

Tumbling Dice, nou and beanboy like this.
  11. beanboy

KOF Evolution.
    That Krizalid boss is cheap and annoying. Lol!:p

12. beanboy

Bejewelled 3
    Vampire Chronicle
    Soul Calibur
    Last Blade 2.
    Fighting Vipers 2
    Rival Schools 2
    Fighting Force 2

I played Fighting Force 2 the other day. The game is nice, but the tank controls are horrible, and is the toughest opponent to deal with. I managed to beat the 1st level. Holy crap that level was long. And no save points, until you beat the entire level, which sucks and you don't even get a map. That is some really bad game design. I was surprised, that a Juggernaut dude with a club, was the first boss. I wasn't expecting to see Juggernauts brother in the game. Lol! But the game is enjoyable so far. I'll play the second stage, as soon as I have some time.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
    Tumbling Dice likes this.
  13. nou

nou Well-Known Member

I bought the Sega Ages version on Switch because, of playing it on Yakuza 0.

Speaking of Sega Ages, I just bought Sonic 2 which lets you play Knuckles in it and Space Harrier. It lets you use a single joycon sideways to emulate the stick on the arcade cabinet.

Sega Ages Arcade Shinobi gets rotation when I'm on my switch as well

On a PS4 kick right now though, so Studio RGG games are getting played like crazy. Playing Judgment and it has Fighting Vipers and Moto Raid in it. Moto Raid had a suuuuuuuuuuuuuper limited release in the late ninties here in the U.S. arcades, so it's cool Sega decided to use their current games to include their older, lesser known games.

I was hoping Yakuza 7 was going to include Model 3 games in their arcade, but it looks like it's the arcade selection from Yakuza 6 with VF2 thrown in as well.

Tumbling Dice and jimi Claymore like this.
  14. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei and Burning Rangers while i was getting my Saturn emu running right. About to play through Panzer Dragoon Saga again.

15. MadeManG74

MadeManG74 Moderator Staff Member Tournament Manager Silver Supporter

Nice, I've been playing Sega Saturn lately as well, mostly Shining Force III series.

What emulator are you using?

16. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Mednafen through Medsat frontend. Works a better for me than Bizhawk. SSF seemed ok, but harder to use and i couldn't get controls to work properly with Yaba sanshiro.

17. MadeManG74

ah nice, last time I tried I think I used SSF. Never tried Mednafen I think, been hearing good things though.
    Wonder if Retroarch has a Saturn emulator.

18. Tumbling Dice

Tumbling Dice Well-Known Member

I've been playing the Saturn lately, too -- Been spending a lot of time on Sega Ages Memorial Selection Vol. 1, mostly trying to break my high score in Pengo upload_2020-4-15_19-23-49.png

I use Mednafen too. It's a great emulator, especially considering that some of the Saturn titles I've been looking to play have hit the triple-digit mark, like Night Striker S and Ninpen Manmaru (speaking of penguins on the Saturn :D) . There's some input lag, but unless you're playing some VF it's nothing too intrusive ;)

MadeManG74 likes this.
  19. beanboy

The dreamcast version of Guilty Gear X. I had to use flycast in retroarch emulator, to play this one though. The physical copies for this game are Japan only, and cost alot nowadays. I'll play the arcade mode later. Currently I'm playing the game in training mode, because I can't remember the moves, for most of the characters, and also because I haven't played this game in a long time.:p

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
  20. MadeManG74

I've been playing 007 GoldenEye on N64 via emulation, it's a lot of fun. Never played it through from start to finish before.

Also continuing my playthrough of Shining Force III trilogy.