1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

So what old school games, are you guys currently playing?

Discussion in 'General' started by beanboy, Apr 10, 2019.

1. c0bbo

c0bbo New Member

PSN:
    SuperMarioBroX44
    Not really genre related, but it is sorta old-school. I always practice my bomb-jumps in Bomberman 64 on the Nintendo 64 when I get the time!

It's by far the hardest Bomberman game. No doubt in my mind!

2. Phoenix Force

Phoenix Force Member

Never played Bomberman 64. I still have Saturn Bomberman on the Saturn and play it every now and then. So much fun, especially in 10 player wide mode.

There is an Ultra Bomberman I keep seeing on the online PS3 store which I'm always tempted to buy.

Did a bit of online Streers of Rage 2 this week, which was alot of fun.

JED-VF3, c0bbo and jimi Claymore like this.
  3. beanboy

beanboy Well-Known Member

Test Drive Le Mans. I unlocked the Peugeot Talbot the other day. That race car is sick, and I like the colours on it too! I'll have to find some time this week, to do the 6 hour race, and unlock the other cars.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
  4. nou

nou Well-Known Member

I need to get back to Panzer Dragoon Saga, but I'll do that next month. Currently finishing the substories in Yakuza 3 remastered and leveling up Kiryu to the max. Game is so good.

Finally finshed the Amon fight in Judgment. It was my first secret boss fight and wild. Had to look it up and the answer to not getting OHKO'd was easier than I thought. No less epic but yeah. I'm hoping to tackle the Amon fight in Yakuza 3 before the end of the month. Plan is to do the Amon fights for the series, sans Yakuza 4 and Yakuza 5.

Yakuza 4 has THE WORST final boss fight not just in the series, and is one of the worst boss fight in gaming. Shit was so bad. Yakuza 5 not going to attempt it since multiple characters, like Y4, but without the shitty last boss fight. Maybe I'll come around?

The best Yakuza games are where Kiryu is the sole and main character. Looking forward to the Amon fight in Kiwami 1 before long.

5. nou

nou Well-Known Member

Neonomide likes this.
  6. Neonomide

Neonomide Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Neonomide
    Panzer Saga and Shining the Holy Ark on Yaba Sanshiro, Moto G7 Plus.

nou likes this.
  7. JED-VF3

JED-VF3 Active Member

PSN:
    Shun-Di-VF3TB
    VF3tb ;)

beanboy, nou and Phoenix Force like this.
  8. nou

nou Well-Known Member

You playing online too? I tried back in Sept, lol but ended up just playing offline while practicing Korea Step.

I'm gonna jump back on PDS when a few days. Not big on turn-based games, but I'm digging this one.

beanboy likes this.
  9. JED-VF3

JED-VF3 Active Member

PSN:
    Shun-Di-VF3TB

yeah bro, are you in the Discord? we have a dedicated Shadow server for it and you can find matches pretty much whenever you want now. just check into the vf3-matchmaking channel @Femto

beanboy and nou like this.
  10. beanboy

The other day, it was VF3tb on the dreamcast. Lion, Pai and Wolf were my team. Last night, old school SF2 CE and Hyper Fighting, till 2 am.

11. beanboy

Last Blade 2: Heart of a samurai

12. beanboy

CvS1. Last night, after I picked Ryu and Ex Bison in pair mode, in the first stage, I finally got to fight in Sagats secret Thailand stage. The one with the purple sky and eclipse looking sun. That stage is sick.

In MvC2, I accidently picked purple colours, for my characters.:holla:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
  13. nou

nou Well-Known Member

Been on tear to do the Amon fights in the Yakuza games. So far I've only beaten the Amon fights in Judgment and Yakuza Kiwami 2.
    Judgment was wild as previously mentioned, but Kiwami 2's Amon fights were a breeze. The music was great, but yeah, they were pretty easy.

Currently on doing the Yakuza Kiwami 1, one and it's the right balance of crazy but not too crazy (like Judgments). I'm digging it but getting my ass kicked. Taking a break from it and going to come with better gear from the Item Box. The music is awesome. Second phase is kicking my ass in this one. Not sure how many phases there are.

After this one, Yakuza 3, Yakuza 6 and Fist of the North Star, Amon fights. Thought I was going to be on the Y3 one, but there's still more to do.

The single character games are my favorite in the Kiryu Saga. I'll probably hit up YLAD's Amon fight sometime this year, since that's a new saga, and it's party based.

14. beanboy

Capcom vs Snk 1. Geese Howard. "Yabo!"

15. nou

nou Well-Known Member

Beat the Amon fight in Yakuza Kiwami 1. The good stuff. Of the three I played so far, it's my favorite. The music is fantastic (as is common with Sega games), and the this Amon uses two styles basically. His third phase is wild, but fun none the less.

I stuck with Dragon of Dojima style, but on repeats, I'll be using other styles and incorporate style switch shenanigans on other playthroughs. I love nailing Tiger Drops, so I'm still trying Tiger Drop the whole fight, which means getting the timing down against the various attacks.

Yakuza 6 Amon fight is next, seeing as how the sub-stories I still need to do aren't as varied as something like Yakuza 3, which still have some gameplay I don't fe

16. nou

nou Well-Known Member

At the Jo Amon fight already in Yakuza 6. I'm going to go out on the limb and say there are more Amon fights after him, since these don't happen until all the sub-stories are completed. I believe I have 8 sub-stories to finish, and Yakuza Kiwami 2 (which came after six) had multiple Amons to fight soo~ yeah...

Need to adjust to the TIger Drop timings in this and pop Heat Mode at the right time instead of trying to brute force it only to get stuffed or dodged. Where I've died is when the drones start coming in and dropping roomba's that detonate. The times I lose, Jo hits me into a drone(s) which stuns me, then a roomba blows up and sets off a chain reaction of explosions with the drones.

I'm going to more mindful and see if I can get group in one area then book to the opposite side and see if that works. I'm guessing the chain explosions clear out the drones when they become too many.

UPDATE: Soooo~ close on this fight. I get him down to a quarter left of health, then the explosions happen. My stubborness will have me see the end of this fight, but it's the worst Amon fight thus far. It's the Munakata fight from Yakuza 4. Again, I'll see it through the end but not because it's awesome.

I was wrong and this was not like Kiwami 2 which had you fight multiple Amon, but just one.

UPDATE#2: Amon down. There was a move in Heat Mode I didn't do, that can grant you invincibility once if you want to time it to the explosions but you need to land it AND hit the QTEs to prolong the attack. Pausing RIGHT AS YOU GET HIT, to pop health items is another way. So yeah, feels better to knock this one out in comparison the Y4 Munakata fight but yeah.

Yakuza 6 is still a fantastic game. I'll be doing a NG+ run sooner than later, because the story and characters are just that strong in the game. Gonna get some money and head the hostess club now:p

UPDATE #3: All substories done! I wanna do a NG+ run with how leveled up I am, but I'm going to wait. Yakuza 3 sub-stories and Amon fight are next :ninja:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
    beanboy likes this.
  17. beanboy

I'm back to playing Super Puzzle Fighter 2 X. That gem shattering goodness. And SF Alpha 3. Played some Dee Jay and Juni. I beat the game with Cody for the first time too. I played Vampire Chronicle with Felicia, on one star speed, and beat the game in one try.

Lots of CvS1 too, because I'm trying to build up vs points, to buy characters and the secret characters in advance. I already unlocked Nakoruru in the shop, now I have to buy her. I had fun with CvS2 as well.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
  18. nou

nou Well-Known Member

2021 Game Publisher Rankings: Sega - Metacritic

https://twitter.com/SEGA/status/1375623606097485824?s=20

2020 Rated Releases (Average Score Used)
    • Persona 5 Royal - 95
    • Yakuza 0 (Xbox) - 90
    • Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 - 80
    • Yakuza Kiwami 2 (Xbox) - 88
    • Persona 4 Golden (PC) - 87
    • Football Manager 2021 - 85
    • Yakuza Like A Dragon - 85
    • 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim - 85
    • Two Point Hospital - 84
    • Sega Ages: Fantasy Zone - 84
    • Bayonetta & Vanquish Collection - 84
    • Sega Ages: Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - 83
    • Yakuza 5 (PS4) - 82
    • Yakuza Kiwami (Xbox) - 81
    • Sega Ages: Thunder Force AC - 80
    • Total War: Three Kingdoms - Furios Wild - 80
    • Total War: Three Kingdoms - A World Betrayed - 80
    • Total War: Three Kingdoms - Mandate of Heaven - 80
    • Catherine Full Body (Switch) - 80
    • Hatsune Miku: Project Diva Megamix - 79
    • Sega Ages: Puyo Puyo 2 - 78
    • Yakuza 4 (PS4) - 78
    • Sega Ages: Shinobi - 78
    • Yakuza 3 (PS4) - 77
    • Total War: Troy - 75
    • Sega Ages: G-LOC Air Battle - 74
    • Sakura Wars - 73
    Thoughts: Yakuza 3, Sega Ages: Shinobi and the Bayo/Vanquish collection are rated too low. Yakuza: Like A Dragon has a nice score but I would've put in the 90s even though turn-based isn't my thing barring a few suggestions.

Not that meta critic means anything overall, but publishers look at it and use it as metric, for better and worse, so I'm sure they are happy with it which is always cool.

Looking forward to PSO 2: New Genesis and VF x esports.

19. beanboy

Test Drive Le mans, and Vampire Chronicle.
    That black viper car is fun to drive in Le Mans.

In Vampire Chronicle, I finally picked the secret character, Omega Bishamon in training mode. And I beat the game for the first time with him too. But Jedah was a cheap cheater as always. Lol!:p

20. nou

nou Well-Known Member

Still doing the dating-sim part of Yakuza 3 i.e. the hostess parts. It's good stuff and choosing the right answer to keep the hearts going is awesome as is the karaoke. The stories themselves are pretty cool too, so getting to hear why they joined the business, what they do in their off time, their hobbies etc. has been a fun time. Some don't come back to the clubs after you finish their story is a nice touch as well, depending on where the story took them (better job opportunities else where, taking care of family, school, etc.)

I'm guessing they come back in Premium Adventure by way of choosing a partner to sing karaoke and competitions in darts, pool and batting cages. I haven't seen the mahjong or shogi updated but I haven't played those games in Kamurocho, just in Okinawa so far.

EDIT: Kamurocho clubs finished. Yui can't handle her liquor, lol. Now on to the Okinawa clubs.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021