1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

SoCal Gathering '09 results

Discussion in 'Tournaments and Events' started by Shag, May 24, 2009.

1. Shag

Shag Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ShagPSN
    XBL:
    Shagnificent
    Team Tourney at Plagues, Friday May 22, 2009

8 teams - Captains were decided beforehand then teams filled at random

Double elim until final 4. Final 4 was single elim due to time constraints.

1. Silly Willy (AO), HowBoutSum (PA), Yosuke (JA,PA)
    2. Oioron (KA), GoatCheeseBlues (SA), adamYUKI (JE)
    3. PhantomHarlock (LA), Kaminari_Oyaji (SA), Konjou (AK, KA)
    4. CaliJared (JA), BigBoy (LA), Myke (KA)
    5. Cozby (Le, SH) Chefboy OB (VA), Flash (WO)
    6. Yupa (SA), Shag (GO), LA Akira (SH)
    7. Sanjuro (AK, JE), Johoseph (GO), Plague (AK)
    8. Air Jacky (JA), KoD (JE), Dennis0201 (AK)

All match replays were saved for this event.

Single tourney at Gerald's Saturday May 23, 2009

24 players - Double Elimination - Players seeded by region

1. adamYUKI (JE) (lost to no one)
    2. Yosuke (JA) (lost to adamYUKI X2)
    3. Myke (KA) (lost to adamYUKI, Yosuke)
    4. Konjou (AK, KA) (lost to adamYUKI, Myke)
    5. LA Akira (SH) (lost to Yosuke, Myke)
    5. Flash (WO) (lost to Yosuke, Konjou)
    7. GoatCheeseBlues (SA) (lost to Flash, LA Akira)
    7. Oioron (KA) (lost to Myke, Konjou)
    9. BigBoy (LA) (lost to GoatCheeseBluese, LA Akira)
    9. Cozby (LE, PA, JA, KA) (lost to LA AKira, GoatCheeseBlues)
    9. Johoseph (GO) (lost to Phoenixdth, Oioron)
    9. Plague (AK) (lost to Oioron, Konjou)
    13. ChefBoy OB (VA) (lost to CaliJared, BigBoy)
    13. Kaminari Oyaji (SA) (lost to Sanjuro, Cozby)
    13. Sanjuro (AK) (lost to Myke, Plague)
    13. Yupa (SA) (lost to GoatCheeseBlues, Johoseph)
    17. Air Jacky (JA) (lost to Yosuke, Kaminari Oyaji)
    17. CaliJared (JA) (lost to adamYUKI, Johoseph)
    17. Phoenixdth (LE) (lost to Flash, ChefBoy OB)
    17. Pinetree (BR) (lost to Konjou, Yupa)
    21. HowBoutSum (PA) (lost to Air Jacky, Sanjuro)
    21. KoD (JE) (lost to Oioron, Cozby)
    21. Lion-2P (LI) (lost to Pinetree, BigBoy)
    21. Shag (GO) (lost to Cozby, Plague)

Final 8 matches replays were saved.

2. KrsJin

KrsJin Well-Known Member

Dang, wish more of those names made to NYG last year but glad they're still showing even without R.

3. _Denkai_

_Denkai_ Well-Known Member

congrats to Adam, way to rep NYC

4. CIDKID

CIDKID Well-Known Member

thats what i'm talking about. Adamyuki repin for NYC

5. Slide

Slide Well-Known Member

Yo good shit guys.

btw I'm lovin the SA reps(Yupa, Kaminari, GoatCheese), stay beastin.

6. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

Thank god. I was *wondering* what you were talking about. now that I know I can properly bet in the poll. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Go Adnan. now, go on and win the WCG. Do it.

7. tonyfamilia

tonyfamilia Well-Known Member

Can't wait to watch those replays! Congrats to everybody that placed and everybody that was able to show up.

8. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

/me eagerly awaits replays to see what final attack was used to win.

9. Shidosha

Shidosha Well-Known Member

PSN:
    I_Am_Shidosha
    XBL:
    Ur Not Shidosha
    adam i'm expecting your fanboy to be here any minute now...

10. Oioron

Oioron Well-Known Member Gold Supporter

I think he can't talk with his mouth full and all.

11. SDS_Overfiend1

SDS_Overfiend1 Well-Known Member

Yes Adam reppin the NYC Lovely. And We are not Closing the Gap they say?

12. L_A

L_A Well-Known Member

Go to japan and find out /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

13. CIDKID

CIDKID Well-Known Member

I think it's a little too soon to say that were closing the gap but with this win for adam, i can say that we can see a little bit of "light" shining through the darkness (i've been watching too much anime, lol)

14. Rodnutz

Rodnutz Well-Known Member

PSN:
    XxRodnutzxX
    XBL:
    XxRodnutzxX
    wrong thread... moved to Socal VF party thread! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

15. Slide

Slide Well-Known Member

lolol

16. tonyfamilia

tonyfamilia Well-Known Member

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif
    It's safe to say that NY's got a nice pool of VF sharks with Adam being the biggest fish in that pool but even though I haven't been to Japan, from what I've heard from guys like Adam himself, our biggest monsters in the US are little monsters in Japan. It's true that NY's got a nice pool of talent but Japan's got an ocean of talent and that enviorenment is what forces improvement and adaptation. Constant (like everyday) hardcore adapt-every-round-or-die offline competition would bring out the best in almost any player.

That said, I can see a lot of the US players thrive in Japan if they lived there. Becoming stronger products of stronger environments. It's not about nationality or race, it's about environments. Some players in the US (and all over the world) are naturally talented and they don't need a good environment or even good competition to be good since they're just naturally gifted but take that same naturally talented player and have him grow up in Japan where VF gets played everyday by other strong players and you got a recipe for a VF super-beast.

17. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    As long as people here train, battle, and get better, the gap is closing.

18. CobiyukiOS

CobiyukiOS Well-Known Member

I'll be frank, VFDC "sucks"! Also, Xbox Live "sucks"!

*The internet is a very weak enviroment to build on VF. Lag rules the country! Cars demolished the arcades! And it's events such as "Kill the Lag" that emulate that arcade felling, that constant competition feeling you just said. These events are frankly lacking in numbers. Sure that combo might look good on paper, and even on video, and you might do a bit better combo, but it doesn't work until you put it in practice, or you cop it your self. In real life. Where your enemy is nearby and therefore doesn't need as much lag. Take me to Japan, anyone, where I can unleash the beast?

This is most edvident in 2008 WCG GF AdamYUKI vs. Itazan. They were both skilled, but Itazan had the "arcadian" language, something Adam may have long forgotten. It is this arcadian language the internet will never teach you.

However, train travel is becoming more popular I heard. Most arcades in Japan are near train stations. The rest of the VF world can only get better...the gap can only get closer...if they decide to build the bloody arcades (a kaching oppertunity).

Also, great Myke, 3rd place!

19. Slide

Slide Well-Known Member

The best players right now, get/got the best environment to play in, in comparison.

If majority of NAVF was condensed or concentrated to play each other, in an offline environment on the regular, I think alot of us would've gotten to a really strong level.

It's just unfortunate that some players, like myself, Lucky, gl0ry, etc were stuck with online play for majority of that time, in order to get the comp in.

Everyone were closer to each other to play? I would bet the level of play would be way above it's current state. Dramatically. Just on the current players alone.

20. Dennis0201

Dennis0201 Well-Known Member

Finally I get a chance to browse VFDC since I left from Socal~~
    I hope I could join you guys on Saturday, but unfortunately I couldn't /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif . Interesting result on single tournament!! I can't wait to see the videos I missed!!

First of all, thanks for pick me as a captain coz I think there were several players totally deserved to occupy this position actually. And I appreciated that Air Jacky and KoD to represent my team!! You guys are amazing!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbs_up.gif Sorry about that I didn't hang on until the last second..... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif And I have to say "screw you" Yosuke and Myke!!! Both of you should go to HELL together!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif