1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

SoCal Gathering '09 results

Discussion in 'Tournaments and Events' started by Shag, May 24, 2009.

1. Rodnutz

Rodnutz Well-Known Member

PSN:
    XxRodnutzxX
    XBL:
    XxRodnutzxX
    *nods head* mmmhhhmmmm

2. SDS_Overfiend1

SDS_Overfiend1 Well-Known Member

ain't that some shit?

3. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

slide's quote is very true. but i think its missing the variable factor of the point.

i think what yosuke was saying is that people tend to measure their improvement based on defeating ---> *the top player*. who generally dominates... anybody.

if you have witnessed in a scene (i sure have), it is very.. very often the case, if for example the rest of the scene considers itself weaker.

the point here is that the dominating player may not even use something like ETE. if you play according to this, you will win. -

but by reckognizing how to win regardless means you can beat many top players.

4. Slide

Slide Well-Known Member

I thought what I said went along with that.

I mean it's like, just cause you beat the top dog, it doesn't mean you're all that(it's just like wearing a heavyweight championship belt or something). Especially if everyone else but that guy, can defeat you(it's only a matter of time... like next match.. against ANYBODY, before your belt stripped from you). It just means you get the best of the guy who happened to be the top dog(what about the guys that never wanted or decided to go for a title shot?).

That is alot of the u.s. mentality though, especially that of your average srk'er. Thinking that if they can handle one good player, that they're automatically good and can handle every and all good players, which isn't true at all. You can tell alot of players are like this, when they play you one match in a game and then if they got the best of you that one single time, you never get to play them again, as if you're beneath them now or something.

You're a strong player, if you can hang with or defeat a shitload of other strong players. It's that simple.

There a bunch of strong players that aren't top dog(champion), they're just missing what could put them over the edge.

5. Dennis0201

Dennis0201 Well-Known Member

It seems like everyone has his own definition for "good player".

Yes, the only way to beat Yosuke down is to realize and be familiar with his style, nothing more specific. But can you imagine how hard to be usde to his crazy style? Haha~ I believe everyone who played with Yosuke before can understand what I mean.

Actually it's no meaning to compare which player is better or not. Everyone has different opinion, for me, I admire the players who can handle Akira and Wolf because some characters really need to be taken care of harder than usual.

I don't want to overrate someone in this event, but like what I said, how many people can prove themselves and deserve that "good player" title? I barely saw it.

6. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

yeah, i think im gonna leave it at that, ..... i want some pizza. : )

7. SDS_Overfiend1

An old saying that still holds true is "Defense Wins games and Offense sells tickets." as long as you defense is Air Tight long enough to get chances to punish you will be alright.

To beat a person like Yosuke is step in the right direction on the path to improvement regardless of what anybody says. your confidence goes up like experience points. To hell with being PC Im riding Adam and what!!!! People always talking about Japan this and Japan that well some of us Non-Japan players have something to say about Holding their own against them.

I'm not intimidated by no one. Yosuke is a Phenominal player and i won't take nothing away from him but the Novelty wore off. We bitched about having top talent near and we got it. Lets use it to better ourselves.

8. Azusabo

Azusabo Well-Known Member

You have to clarify "beat yosuke" and "path to improvement"

If you are talking about playing 5, 10, 20 games and winning a few right away, you really are on the right path to improvement.

If you are talking about playing for 5 days and winning after 100's of games, it's questionable that you are really winning by getting better. I don't see much improvement in that.

Yosuke, Itazan, Adam, Rodney, Myke etc. are good well rounded players. If you need 100's of games to use one or two tricks to win I think you haven't reached a well rounded style of play.

While it's very difficult, you can learn to bait Rodney or you can learn to out offense Adam. If you can bait or out offense unknown and similarly classed players, you are really beginning to improve. This is why everyone talks about Japan. Japanese have a big pool of competent players and many of the strong winners there do whatever they want and play their own styles. There's less of "I have a style to beat Rodney" and more of "I have a style to beat all Akira's".

I totally understand Yosuke's comment and Adam's response. Adam doesn't think he is a stronger player than Yosuke and Yosuke commented that another similar Jacky player may have given Adam a hard time. Adam knows Yosuke, but he may not know Jacky inside out. When you know how to fight a character, it doesn't matter how the person chooses to play, you'll totally know how to combat anything thrown at you.

JMHO.

9. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    You may know the right answers to everything, doesnt still mean you win because you would still have to predict your opponent to use the right options. There is no absolute 'right' way of playing. You may play by percentages, countering what people 'try on average'. Thats all.

10. Azusabo

Azusabo Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree. Knowing all your best options and having the guessing ability is what makes a winner.

11. Ash_Kaiser

Ash_Kaiser Marly you no good jabroni I make you humble... Bronze Supporter

Not to be pedantic or start anything, but doesn't that mean you're intimidated by everyone?

12. MAtteoJHDY

MAtteoJHDY Well-Known Member

Noman is killing me either by treachery or brute violence!

13. YOSUKE

YOSUKE Well-Known Member

sorry I have not logged in this web site for a while again.
    well then, Don't take my comment only bad way, please.

I would say adam's the skill of adaptation of various players is not as good as mine, but he did well prepare to play my Jacky for the final, and that was really impressing. Therefore, somebody (Myke?) wrote that I should have picked Lion(!?) to play Adam. wait, have you played my Lion before? I started to use him from VF5R just because of the strength of the character. I guess the thing is that the character which I use is not so important, so I may need to agree with this.

I am happy that Adam got something from me in LA (like hitting PK as a guaranteed when the opponent misses to throw) keep practice hard in order to win WCG tournament. congratulation for online tournament qualify. I just saw it.

14. YOSUKE

YOSUKE Well-Known Member

by the way, I just felt I had to buy the T-shirt by seeing the picture of us(myke, adam, and me)

15. SDS_Overfiend1

IDK Probably? shit if you say so then maybe. I mean judging from your post you know it all.

16. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

heh, the only time I ever beat you online was vs. your Lion.

Myke, why do you think Yosuke's Lion would be a better match up vs. Adam's Jeff?

edit: Oops, Yosuke isn't sure if it was Myke who made that suggestion or somebody else... anyway, whoever made that suggestion, please chime in.

17. Dennis0201

Dennis0201 Well-Known Member

I thought Yosuke would use Lau actually. But it turned out that he chose the one he felt much more comfortable.