1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

SoCal VF 2009 DVD progress

Discussion in 'VF.TV' started by Leonard_McCoy, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Leonard_McCoy

Leonard_McCoy Well-Known Member

Any updates on the DVD?

2. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

This year's or last year's? I'm still out of a Tshirt and DVD I paid for. Plague, man - what's the story?

3. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    The story is that I'm taking an exceptionally long time to finish the 2009 DVD.

So - I'm going to put in more work on it Monday. July 5th is the observed holiday in the US and I won't go to the office. I'll put in 8 hours on the DVD and report with progress.

I know you're all tired of waiting. I've had little personal time over the last 4 months and that won't change for another year or more. I go to the office 7 days a week. I realize this not your problem. Please accept my apology.

My commitment from now on is to report once a week. Since I won't enjoy saying "I've done nothing this week," I'll be working on it more.

I'm sorry to have waited until people complained to make this commitment. You all deserve better.

4. Dennis0201

Dennis0201 Well-Known Member

Plague,
    What's the resolution for the footages? 720P?

5. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE

OK! DVD Progress update #1

First: What you get for your patience and donation...

1) 88 fight replays.

2) Live audio (crowd noises) for each replay.

3) Live video cut-ins as little surprises sprinkled throughout.

4) The team selection process footage.

5) Player interviews at Roscoe's just before the Singles Tournament.

6) A music video with a montage of live shots taken throughout the event.

7) Graphics on the DVD surface.

8) Graphic inserts inside and outside the DVD case.

Here's the breakdown of making a replay...

Part One: 360 video and audio.

1) Connect 360 to a DVR via S-Video and Composite audio.

2) Set 360 to output widescreen.

3) Play each replay into DVR. Data from 88 replays fits on 4 DVDs. Data is captured at the highest detail possible. Each replay is about 600 MB uncompressed. Video ends up being 720x480. It will be interpreted as 1.2 for NTSC 16:9 widescreen. It's about 4 hours of replays.

4) Put DVDs into PC and split audio and video tracks.

5) Move tracks onto Macintosh via network for editing in Premiere.

Part Two: Live audio and video

1) Record every game with DV-Camera.

2) Play camera into iMovie via Firewire.

3) Isolate live audio for each replay and save as .aiff.

4) Scan four hours of live footage to find cool stuff. Isolate cool stuff as live video cut-ins. Save as mp4 video.

Part Three: Graphics with Adobe Premiere and Photoshop

1) Create Player name and origin graphics with Premier graphics tools.

2) Create splash screen and video stills with Photoshop.

Part Four: Create fight replay in Premiere

1) Edit live audio track by finding a good start and stop.

2) Cut up replay video and audio so it synchs with live audio.

3) Insert live video cuts.

4) Insert player name and origin graphics.

5) Insert splash screens and any still shots available.

6) Repeat steps 1) to 5) of Part Four for all 88 fights.

Part Five: Combine fight replays into chapters.

1) Team tournament is 62 fight replays combined into 13 chapters. Each chapter is a battle (Team A vs. Team B etc.)

Part Six: Cool Bonus Stuff

1) Edit The team selection process footage.

2) Edit player interviews at Roscoe's just before the Singles Tournament.

3) Edit Music Video.

4) Design packaging graphics.

Part Seven: Make DVD file

Use DVD editor to make DVD image complete with Menu Graphics. I will likely use iMovie. DVD will be double density so everything will fit.

Part Eight: Product

1) Burn 50 DVDs.

2) Output and adhere graphics to DVDs.

3) Output and cut-out insert graphics for DVD cases.

4) Insert graphics and DVDs into cases.

Part Nine: Pack and Ship.

1) Ship DVDs to people who came to event.

2) Ship DVD + T-Shirt to those who did not come but donated anyway.

Second: What is done and what needs to be finished...

1) Team Tournament is done.

2) Singles Tournament is not done...

Here's the status:

12 Replays are done.
    4 chapters have been made from those 12.

Need to make 14 more replays. Average time to create a replay is 45 minutes. The ones with live action inserts take a little longer. The last fights of the singles tournament are unbelievable and I have killer live action stuff to include.

Team selection and player interviews are not done. Those should not take all that long.

Music video is not done. Song has been selected and footage is already in order from beginning to end. Just need to cut in cool stuff at the right time to match the beat. Might take some time (never done this before but I know how to do it), but it will be worth it.

Packaging graphics are designed. They are not output or cut.

Third: What I am working on next...

Completing replays from the Singles Tournament. One is still on the 360 (I missed it when first recording the replays).

Next update will be Monday of next week.

Pai~Chun likes this.
  6. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

Sounds like a lot of work Plague, you can take as long as you want with the DVD imo. I appreciate all the effort your putting into it [​IMG]

7. AkiraZero

AkiraZero Well-Known Member

I agree with the one who hangs on doors. Something as epic as this endeavor needs to take time. Thanks again for putting so much effort into this!

8. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Sounds like this is gonna be packed with far more awesome than I expected. You're going above and beyond. Good stuff Plague. Thanks for all the hard work so far. [​IMG]

9. Kobi

Kobi 'Noh' One Bronze Supporter

XBL:
    Waverusher Kobi
    I got a sneak peak of one of the replays when I was working for Plague in February. He has taken a simple replay and saturated it with awesomeness.

... And then froze the saturated awesomeness, and added more to make SUPER SATURATED AWESOME.

</kiddish_thrill>

That DVD is his baby, people. And I think I know Plague well enough to know that he'd never skimp on quality for the sake of getting something done faster. That's why I respect the bastard! He's like this at work, as well.

It's a shame that this DVD is limited edition... I would've paid to reserve a copy if I had the chance there.

10. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

Woulnt be cool to send sega a copy of this dvd? I have this feeling that somehow that dvd will have type of good impact on someone at sega. Some gut feeling I have....

Good stuff plague. One question though, 4 hours of replay!!? I'm guessing you hand picked this and kept the best matches? Right? [​IMG]

11. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

Plague, looks like you need to make an extra copy [​IMG]

12. MP

MP Well-Known Member

PSN:
    MonkeypunchVF
    Still looking forward to recieving this, sounds like it's going to be incredible, please take it easy though Plague [​IMG]

13. Rodnutz

Rodnutz Well-Known Member

PSN:
    XxRodnutzxX
    XBL:
    XxRodnutzxX
    What he said... I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE SUPER AWESOMENESS THAT'S GONNA BE ON THAT DVD! Oh and Nelson(ghettoSHUN) can't wait too. He is mored hyped than me about getting the extra copy I purchased for him lol

14. tonyfamilia

tonyfamilia Well-Known Member

This DVD is just what the scene needs right now to get morale up. Let's not forget that we still have one of the best fighting games of all time on our hands.

SF2, SF3, SC, DOA still get played. Tekken Tag still gets played. Hell, even World Warriors still has fans and people that play it.

I know that once I watch that DVD is only gonna make me want to play even more than I do now.

VF5FS announcement or not, let's keep playing VF fam and let's keep our scene alive. Even if only online for now [​IMG]

Go Plague, go! [​IMG]

15. BLACKLAC

BLACKLAC Well-Known Member

Almost forgot about this Ha [​IMG]

Quality over quantity!

16. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE

OK. Couple more hours spent on the DVD. Two more fights synched with some killer live-action sound and video. Twelve more to go.

It's been a while since the last update. Still busy at work. GoatCheeseBlues and I just finished a website/web banner/print ad for Fire Sprinkler Systems. We're also hammering on another, much larger site. Gonna be putting more time into the DVD, though.

17. tonyfamilia

tonyfamilia Well-Known Member

Hey, Plague, is this project going to be ready before 2011?

18. Leonard_McCoy

Leonard_McCoy Well-Known Member

Your avatar looks great, Tony. Love it!

(Nothing else to see here)

19. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    That is the plan. Taking today off and guys are coming over for VF. I'll do some more matches tomorrow. Got another big project done. Brian and I have been working on this one (and many others) for about seven months... Great Minds Robotics

20. L_A

L_A Well-Known Member

these arent the SoCal VF 2009 DVDs youre looking for... move along.