1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

SoCal VF Party, March 27th-30th, 2008

Discussion in 'Tournaments and Events' started by Plague, Dec 21, 2007.

1. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    <span style='font-size: 14pt'><span style='font-family: Arial Black'>OK...</span></span>

Think about how many New Year's resolutions you've made and ignored: Eat less, exercise more, stop smoking, etc.. They've probably all been admirable endeavors and, likely to your dismay, no fun at all. Fortunately, I've got a resolution that you'll enjoy (repeat after me)...

<span style='font-size: 14pt'><span style='font-family: Arial Black'>In 2008, I will play VF5 version C with a ton of real people, and no lag at all.[/size]</span></span>

"But wait," you say, "that sounds harder than everything mentioned so far - everyone is so spread out. I'd have to travel all around the globe!"

Fear not.

From March 27th to the 30th, 2008, everyone who's anyone in the world of VF is gonna wanna be in one place - Riverside, California.

"You're joking, right?"

Actually... no

For the last two years, players from around the world have come to SoCal in March. This year looks to be all that and more -

<span style='font-size: 14pt'><span style='font-family: Arial Black'>OMG! Time for VF5:Unlagged!![/size]</span></span>

Post in this thread so you can be added to these lists...

Confirmed players: [/size]Plague, HowBoutSum, SweepTheLeg, L_A_Akira, ShinobiFist, KoD, KrsJin, boxedwishes, kungfusmurf, SicwiDiT, Nocturnal, DRE, FatalRose, <s>DancingFighterG</s>, Renzokuken, Enfantin_Chloe, DubC, CheF_FraSH, Konjou_Akira, adamYUKI, tonyfamilia, Shag, Matt_K, Richard, s_aki, Oioron, Ladon, Brisal73, Scamp, dennis0201, haunts, INCIDENT. xPINETREEx,[/size] and [/size]Llanfair![/size]

Definite interest from: [/size]Srider, EmX, Fulaani, Shadowdean, NykkoMT, soakrates, Beligerent_feck,[/size] and [/size]Unsafe_Dan![/size]

It's gonna happen in a huge way and you won't be sorry if ya show up - so here goes...[/size]
    <span style='font-family: Arial Black'>

It's time to play at Plague's house!</span>

Pack up your 360s, converted High Grades, and Horis. Bring your VF5 skills and come to battle in-person with the best SoCal, North America, and the world has to offer. Players from all over the globe are welcome to attend. I think it's definitely worth the effort.

There's always something magical about these events and the universal thought from the people that miss them could actually be this.[/size]

Event Date: Thursday, March 27th through Sunday, March 30th, 2008.

Party Place: Plague's House - 8538 Wild Pony Drive, Riverside, CA 92509

Party Time: Most of the action happens at Plague's House for 24 hours a day starting whenever people show up. If other SoCal players provide housing, it's likely you'll find VF action there, too.

Team Battle: If any of you remember the action from March, 2007, you know we all gotta do that again!

Team Battle Date, Time, and Location: Friday, March 28th, at 9:00 pm., Plague's House

Team Battle Rules:
    3-player teams. Depending on the number of teams, we'll go right into single elimination, random seeding -or- round-robin pool play to determine the finalists. Match is won by eliminating all players of the opposing team. No character switching. No one can use Dural. You may change the order of your team prior to your next bout. 200pts of health, 45 Seconds per round, best of 5 rounds (win 3 rounds).

Now, take the adrenaline you have left and give it all to the [/size]Saturday Singles Showdown. Prove to the world that you're the best. Honor, fame, and cash await the winners...[/size]

Singles Tournament Date, Time and Location: Saturday, March 29th, 11:00 am, at the PH Woods BBQ Restaurant - P.H. Woods, 23060 Alessandro Boulevard, Moreno Valley CA, 92553

Singles Tournament Schedule:
    11:00-12:00 p.m. show up, register, and set-up
    12:00-1:30 lunch and free play
    1:30 p.m. tournament start /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Singles Tournament Details:
    Tournament entry of $10 to be split as prize money -
    1st place = 70%, 2nd place = 20%, 3rd place = 10%
    Pay your $10 when you register between 11:00 a.m. and noon. Registration does not include lunch.[/size]

The venue, PH Woods, is a restaurant. Use of their banquet room requires purchase of lunch at noon. They have incredible BBQ and a fantastic full bar.

Singles Tournament Rules:
    Double Elimination. Random seeding.
    No character switching. You can't use Dural.
    Coin flip to determine who chooses stage or side. 200pts of health, 45 Seconds per round, best of 5 rounds (win 3 rounds). Best of 3 games (win 2 games). Final match is best of 5 games (win 3 games)

If all this sounds good to you - here's where to stay and how to get here...

Places to stay: At these events, my house gets really full - one time, the count was 24 people. Half were sleeping at any given time in any place they could find - including the hallway and even the stone floor. I didn't mind this at all - I thought it was awesome. However, if you want privacy and the possibility of a place to sleep undisturbed, here are some choices for lodging: The Motel 6 near Plague's house which is 2.3 miles away. Also, check back to see if other SoCal players want to provide a place to stay. If you wish to call my house your home during the party, here's a list of the soft places on which you can attempt to sleep: two couches, two recliners, and three futons. I recommend you pack sleeping bags and pillows just in case. These soft places are not reserved for anyone. If you need to sleep, you use whatever spot you can find - it's likely to be amongst other people still awake and playing VF. A shower is available. I ask that it be used at what should be the quieter times of day - specifically 9am to around 1pm when people tend to be asleep and not needing to use the restroom.

Flying in to SoCal: Please schedule arrivals and departures from ONT airport (Ontario, California). I or someone else can pick you up from and return you to ONT. If you're an intercontinental traveler, I believe you must land in LAX. Please post or PM your itinerary to confirm your visit. It builds excitement and momentum - it's the stuff that gets more and more people to say "You know? I'm gonna buy my plane tickets and go to this thing!"

NEW![/size] Transportation between LAX and Plague's House: Public transportation makes life easy! After you land, go from LAX to Union Station via FlyAway Bus. Once there, use either the Metrolink Riverside Line to the Pedley Station (M-F only) or the San Bernardino Line to the Rancho Cucamonga Station (7 days a week). Make sure to click the schedules link to see which one works best for you. I or someone else will pick you up from there. After the event, I or someone else will return you to one of those train stations and you can make your way back to LAX.

Transportation during the event: If you wish to venture around SoCal, or just want the ability to go somewhere at will, I recommend renting a car from the airport. Public transportation is limited throughout most of SoCal, and the larger cities are quite spread out (the exact opposite of, say, NYC). Most fast food restaurants near the house require a walk of over 2 miles.

Driving directions from Los Angeles:

60 East, pass the 57 and 15 freeways
    Exit Pedley (3rd exit after you pass the 15)
    Right turn on Pedley
    Left turn on Mission (first traffic light)
    Right turn on Agate (first right, no stop sign)
    Left turn on Wild Pony Drive (first left)

Driving directions from San Diego:

15 North, pass the 91, take the 60 East
    Exit Pedley
    Right turn on Pedley
    Left turn on Mission (first traffic light)
    Right turn on Agate (first right, no stop sign)
    Left turn on Wild Pony Drive (first left)

Address numbers on house and mailbox post. Silver Honda Odyssey in driveway.

PM for phone numbers if you need them.

Will you hit traffic? Yah, it's Southern California - you bet there will be traffic. Don't let that sway you! This trip is worth every minute of it.

What we provide: 32" SDTV (480i), US PS3 with VF5, two Virtua High-Grade sticks, four 20" widescreen Dell Monitors with HDMI to DVI cables + audio, two 25" (or so) SDTVs, air conditioning, fridge full of soda, various chips, pretzels, and what-not, places to sit, room for five or six (maybe seven?) VF setups.

What you all need to bring:[/size] 360s, VGA/composite cables or, if you have HDMI out, just something with red/white composite out for sound, sticks, and VF5 discs. Please make the effort to bring these things - your contribution will add so much to this event. Besides the 32" SDTV, we have six ready-to-use displays (two SDTVs and four HDTV monitors). We need your gaming set-ups.[/size]

What about food? Everyone usually chips in for food. Lots of fast food in the area. Good sit-down restaurants, too. Plus, there are pizza places that deliver.

Who's gonna be there? Well, in the past we've had some of the best that Southern California, the West Coast, the East Coast, and the world has to offer - any one of them could make a return visit: Itazan, Oioron, Denkai_84, Chef_FRaSH, Enfantin_Chloe, DancingFighterG, BigBoy, akiralove, andy, Myke, Srider, Joey (GY_beta), mukatsuku_shun, YOSUKE, ice-9, bearcrusher, kurita, shin, Namflow, Rocket Pai, adamYUKI, kazu, Shag, Konjou_Akira, maddy, thebradSHow, s_aki, Ladon, DRE, Chanchai, HowBoutSum, GodEater, MADrox, Kaminari_Oyaji, stompoutloud, Jerky, SiYkO, Pushku, IronJUNKIE, Shang, Shou, Zero- chan, Fishie, growcian, afroconnexion, EL_Brisal73, L_A_Akira, Team Tokyo Mafia (PhoenixDth, Sean, GoatCheeseBlues), Ken__I, Exile, SillyWilly, KTallguy, Unsafe_Dan, CaliJared, Lion-2P, KoD, Renzokuken, Raoul, THE_WALL, snapz, sirphobos, Lawrence, Paolo, Tierzo, Riona, FatalRose, Matt_K, Type Tenchi, Banes, Mindscan, Whoa_its_Eric, Mike90210, vf5akira, Gribbly and Team Pandemic (Austin, Forrester, Jimmy), sgtsmurf, Joon, Weslyzm, 2012, firstpressing, Rikyu, Adam, Amir, Chris, Chris II, Adrian, Peter, Mike, Jacob, Collette[/size] and many more!

Sometimes 24 people (yes, 24, really) at once with five set ups running!

Maybe this time we'll get six setups going! Maybe even seven!

What's gonna happen? Lots of VF5. Major good times.

Remember this: During a SoCal VF Event - Sleeping is not important. School is not important. Work is not important, either - that's what every other day of the year is for![/size]

Please post your intent to show up right here on this thread - it generates excitement and results in larger attendance. Here's a sample...

[img]http://www.agraphicadvantage.com/plague/vf/plagues_house/070329/IMG_0013.jpg[/img]
    SiLLyWiLLy and YOSUKE watch VF5 on a laptop while people play VF5 all over the house. This must've been a VF5 event, yes?

[img]http://www.agraphicadvantage.com/plague/vf/plagues_house/070329/IMG_0014.jpg[/img]
    They say "YES! This is definitely a VF5 event."

[img]http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/2886/vf5socalgroup1ik9.jpg[/img]
    You should be in this picture, too! Don't miss out!

<span style='font-size: 17pt'><span style='font-family: Arial Black'>OMG! VF5:Unlagged!!</span></span>

2. SweepTheLeg

SweepTheLeg Well-Known Member

I missed '07 due to work -- I won't make the same mistake this year. I'll be putting in for the time off after the new year. Count me in!

3. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    A HAH! This is what I like to see! Post is up for 5 minutes and a player CONFIRMS!

It will be worth every second. Looking forward to seeing you here.

4. L_A

L_A Well-Known Member

I'll be there for sure, talis.

5. Chief_Flash

Chief_Flash Well-Known Member

XBL:
    T1L ALL AR3 0N3
    expect me to make an appearance! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif although not official yet, i'll keep u informed!

6. Oioron

Oioron Well-Known Member Gold Supporter

There's definite interest from me too.

7. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

If my work brings me to LA in march, I will try to show up.

8. ShinobiFist

ShinobiFist Well-Known Member

I'm down. Going to be in the West Coast by that time. Yes Sir! Count me in.

9. EmX

EmX Well-Known Member

Put me in the maybe pile for this one. I've noticed that flying into ONT is like $400 while LAX is $260ish right now. Why the rapage?

If I come I'll probably bring my 360 and a stick, too. We'll see.

10. KoD

KoD Well-Known Member

PSN:
    codiak
    Damn. I don't remember Plague being that freaking tall!

I'm there, pending approval by the house dictator aka 3-month old /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

11. Shag

Shag Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ShagPSN
    XBL:
    Shagnificent
    The only way I would miss this event is if by chance I won an all-inclusive trip to Cancun at the same time. <span style='font-size: 8pt'>( There's a slight chance of it happening, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif )</span>

Even so, for me it would be a difficult decision. SoCal VF meet or Cancun? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

12. SweepTheLeg

SweepTheLeg Well-Known Member

Solution: Cancun-themed VF meet. Sand, blow-up palm trees, etc. Deal? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Please come, I want to play your Goh!

13. KoD

KoD Well-Known Member

PSN:
    codiak
    Well, the little one says "neh meep gurgle", which translates to "yeah, dad, go to socal", so here's my arrival / departure times:

Thu, Mar 27 2008 8:21 AM L.A./ONTARIO
    Sun, Mar 30 2008 5:45 PM L.A./ONTARIO

14. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    Heh. I'm not. Brisal73 and I are standing on something.

DUDE! New record! Plane ticket bought within 11 hours of event posting! Your 3 month old has priorities quite in line. NICE!

15. KrsJin

KrsJin Well-Known Member

I'll be going if that's allright. Won't be able to bring my 360 but can bring a stick or two.

Can't wait, this is going to be amazing.

16. KoD

KoD Well-Known Member

PSN:
    codiak
    Yeah, my boy knows what's up ( so does his mom, more to the point ).

If you're considering going to socal & in an area that express jet aka continental express flies to, check them out. My ticket was less than 250 even including taxes & fees & stuff, direct flight, and I didn't have to fly in the middle of the night like I did last year.

http://www.expressjet.com/

Can't vouch for the quality, but airlines is airlines IMHO.

I'll bring my VSHG for sure, would rather not fly with the 360 but will if necessary.

17. Fulan

Fulan Well-Known Member

I might even show up if I got the cash to spend.

18. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    KrsJin: Of course it's alright! Looking forward to meeting you.

KoD: Thanks for posting the airline info. Should come in handy for other players.

Fulaani: That would be insane if you actually made it out for this event. I can pretty much guarantee it'll be worth the effort if you're into VF. The people who come to these things are pretty much top-notch individuals in every way.

19. YOSUKE

YOSUKE Well-Known Member

oh my gosh I havent checked VFDC since coming back to Japan haha.

I don't know if I can go. it depends on my new school... I will try to attend though. I MISS FRISCOS so much!!!

by the way, here is a link where you can watch Japanese players' matches.

http://gamecap.fan-site.net/vf5.htm

this(gamecap) is the place I used to go to play VF before coming to the US. they had a 5on5 tournament 3 months ago and had Tougaki area tournament 7 months ago. they recorded some matches. some players are fomous players, so you won't miss it!

I hope that myke transrates it in English.

well, I am going to 5on5 tournament today.

my teammates will be

Kissa(SH) in ks4
    Takumi(AO)
    gorgonzola(LA) in ks3
    Mukki akira(AK) everyone knows

oh my gosh I am going to be the first player...I have not been in a team which consists of only better players than me...

20. KrsJin

KrsJin Well-Known Member

Good luck in that tournament and thanks for the link Rei.