1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

SoCal VF party w/ Myke, YOSUKE, and more!

Discussion in 'Tournaments and Events' started by Plague, Jun 24, 2007.

1. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    OK! Last day! Final chance to play Yosuke and Itazan runs from 4:00 to Midnight at the house tonight (they're leaving tomorrow at 7:00 am). One full set-up is here and I've got one HD monitor waiting for a PS3, game, and 2 HGs. See you all tonight!

2. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    <span style='font-size: 17pt'>More Shoutouts!</span>
    After transcribing the brackets I realised that I forgot to mention a couple of people!

ironzen - it was great meeting you, and I think the Boston scene is lucky to have players like you. I'm not sure how long you've been playing, but I feel like you're relatively new but have come a long way with Lion. In a way, you reminded me of Dobi when I first met him. Keep up the playing and practicing (and kick Shang's ass!) /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Bradermy - aka BradToTheBone, great meeting you man. I wish I had time to watch you play in the Hold'em tourney in Vegas! I enjoyed our games and keep on sharpening that Brad of yours /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

INCIDENT - it was a pleasure to meet you Luis, and great of you to come all the way from FL, compete and hang out with us! Oh, that Nintendo shirt was fucking cool too! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

<span style='font-size: 17pt'>Funny Quotes!</span>
    It's become tradition in that in every VF gathering, we come away with famous and funny quotes, and this time was no different. This is just a list of stuff, in no particular order, that made me laugh. And by laugh, I mean in the side-splitting, thigh-slapping, oh-my-fucking-GOD-I-can't-breath way.

"You ain't no denkai!" -- denkai
    Made famous by the infamous denkai himself.

"You bestud" -- denkai
    It was all in denkai's unique delivery that made this so funny, and probably the most repeated line over the week! And it's still going strong in the shoutbox and IRC!

"Belee dat! Word is born! -- BigBoy
    This one came about at around 3am-4am one night when we (well most of us) were still up playing. Some of the commentary BigBoy was providing while playing against him was just soooo hilarious I had to laugh inwards just to inhale! I don't exactly remember how this quote came about, but the emotional value I now associate with it far outweigh my need to know! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

"Save it!" -- Yosuke
    So we would be saving replays of matches that we thought were exciting, interesting or just worth seeing again. But when Yosuke would yell, "Save it" after particular matches, his criteria was mainly based on the fact that Denkai lost the match, and it didn't matter how! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

"Fuck that Chinese bitch up Myke!" -- chief_flash
    During my finals match against Tokido, I hear this being yelled at some point during the matches. It sounded so gangsta that I was envisaging some big, burly black guy yelling out in my support, perhaps a tad overzealous! I also thought that it was touch racist, thinking the "Chinese bitch" was a reference to Tokido. The room kind went quiet for a second after that /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif It wasn't until the drive back to SoCal that I discover it was flash who said it, and the "Chinese bitch" was a reference to Pai! ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<span style='font-size: 17pt'>Random Stuff</span>

Coach Nuki
    For those at Evo, you might recall that whenever Nuki was watching one of his 2D friends (tokido or ino) playing, and struggling, he would often start yelling out advice and try to help them out. I'm not sure how it is in Japan with singles tournaments, but I think we all agree that coaching during a tournament is generally frowned upon.

So I experienced this in my finals match against Tokido. I could hear Nuki yelling Pai moves to Tokido, and I found this unsettling because I could understand what he was saying, and started to falsely anticipate and hesitate.

I also noticed Nuki doing this in other matches during the Semi finals. I didn't think that was cool. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

Starbucks didn't mispronounce my name!
    You know when you place an order at Starbucks and they ask for your name? Usually, saying Mike with an Aussie accent gets confused for Mark. A lot! But this time around, they got it right! Weee!

Bioshock!
    Talking to PhoenixDth and GoatCheeseBlues made me want to play Bioshock. And the day I returned home, I went out and bought the game. Trouble is, the support for accelerated mouses (mice?) is buggy making the game for me totally uncontrollable, and hence unplayable. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif

Riding in Plague's Buick Gran Sport!
    If you've been at THE HOUSE (Plague's house) then you may have seen his Gran Sport parked in the garage, usually under cover. Well, I had the privilege of riding in it, and was this close to taking it for a spin myself. Maybe next time! That car is an absolute beast and I couldn't help but grin all the while riding in it! RARRR!!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Cirque du Soleil: Love
    Saw the show in Vegas. Awesome. Just felt like saying it again /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Itazan only does single throw escapes
    So we were driving to LA Akira's one evening in Plague's van. I asked Itazan how many throw escapes does he usually enter on average. He answered one, and my jaw dropped! In all the games I played against him, he almost always guessed the correct throw escape. It was right then that I gained a new appreciation (heck, call it admiration!) for how high Itazan's skill is in this game. His ability to read his opponent in any situation is scaringly accurate!

One thing he told me about my game was that, as Kage, I would tend to resort to /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif to counter against his throw whiff. I would use this throw because it's Kage's most damaging single-command throw, and when you're reacting to a throw whiff you have to be fast! So whenever he whiffed a throw, he would only ever escape the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif direction, and as a result, would always, always, always escape my throw! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif This revelation about a habit of mine was like an out-of-body experience. Just wow!

So later on during some games we played, there were occasions where he'd whiff a throw again and instead of reacting with /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif I just went for a neutral instead, and succeeded!

The first time this happened, he turned to me with an acknowledging smile. And each time that followed where I would successfully neutral throw him after his whiffed throw, we'd both laugh! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Itazan = top tier! He inspires me to be a better player.

3. ironzen

ironzen Well-Known Member

hi myke,

it was great meeting you as well. i remember watching your kage in the evo2004 DVD and was very happy to see a kage make it that far (i used kage at first).
    i appreciate your comments. dobi and i have been friends since highschool. he was the one who inspired me to use lion and play VF to begin with.
    i enjoyed the few games we played and next time around i will surely try to play against you more. your kage is very strong. good shit again on taking down nuki.
    and yes, i will destroy shang! every one attending the Oct.5 gathering is going to!

4. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Itazan only does single throw escapes</div></div>
    I guess my technique of always going for 2 escapes isn't that bad then... thanks for the insights on Itazan's play Myke.

5. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    Itazan leaves today. Twenty-five days of VF5 madness comes to an end. Although it's nice to have the house to ourselves again, I'm sad at the same time. My life would missing a piece had I never known the VF community.

Here's to more fantastic SoCal VF events - you are all part of them in some way or another.

Thank you,

Talis

6. Renzo

Renzo Well-Known Member

I love you talis! =\

7. Neko

Neko Well-Known Member

Hi all! Has anyone capped the vids from this gathering? I am really looking forward to it.

Thanks
    N

8. Shag

Shag Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ShagPSN
    XBL:
    Shagnificent
    I know that Plague is working on converting the replays saved. He found up to 139 replays!

9. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    <span style='font-size: 8pt'>Shh! Don't tell anyone.</span>

10. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
  11. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
  12. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
  13. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
  14. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
  15. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
  16. YOSUKE

YOSUKE Well-Known Member

they make me feel visiting CA.

17. danny13

danny13 Well-Known Member

I just watched the vids.

Myke is broken!

18. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

Yeah Myke, Kage roll is broken. Didn't you know it's soft banned in Japan? Jeez.

19. danny13

danny13 Well-Known Member

Its soft banned in SG too!

20. Gernburgs

Gernburgs Well-Known Member

What does that mean?!? Which roll? Some dude did some crazy rolling thing at me yesterday that I had no idea how to stop! He's 150 and 12 with Kage, he's tough to beat! Lion(something) can't quite remember...