1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Some E3 VF news

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by ice-9, May 18, 2001.

1. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I'm typing this from spotlite's place. This year, Sega's booth was made mostly private. Thankfully, Bryan and Noah got me and the crew in and we've learned a lot about VF4.

- TAKA WILL NOT BE IN VF4. This is confirmed. Straight out of Suzuki's mouth. The reason he gave was that Taka was simplly not popular enough in Japan; nobody played him. A lot of things make sense to exclude Taka since he was so different from the overall VF system, but I personally think the biggest reason is that Sega simply does not have the time to do him right. Curses, this was definitely the worst news of the conference (heh, for me at least) and a big break from VF tradition.

- Suzuki said the new style of the new female character is very different from Pai and Sarah, especially in terms of aesthetic appeal. The new character will be more muscular and less feminine.

- Suzuki said that he wanted the network card to be implemented for American arcades.

- He also said that he would like to see a Dreamcast version of VF4 but that it was largely out of his hands and that it would be a decision made on a more corporate level due to contractual obligations to Sony. I think the reference to a contract is the interesting thing.

- There is no playable version of VF4 in E3 or the U.S.., public or private. Suzuki did not feel that VF4 was ready for showing here in the U.S., which is understandable. Apparently, rumour has it that his mind was changed at the last minute and that he had originally wanted to bring it to E3 for private showing.

- The outside of Sega's closed booth had running videos of several games. VF4 was shown but the quality was really bad--I think it was from a VHS recording. The colors were really washed out. What are you thinking Sega?? Compared to DOA3, Sega is not creating the same level of hype at the show. Inside, there were TVs that showed what seemed like direct feeds of VF4 and were much, much better. Unfortunately these could only be seen by those with access inside.

I will be back tomorrow with Hiro's questions. Hopefully I can find Suzuki and present him the paper. Unfortunately, Bryan's computer is a Mac, so I may have to show him the katakana version.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by ice-9 on 05/18/01 10:59 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

2. Guest

Guest Guest

As much as I was hopping that the-magicbox rumour was false, this has turn out other wise. And I really like Taka too.

I thought Taka was popular in Japan ? Especially since in 3tb Taka is one of the top tier character. Maybe AM2 should put Taka on diet or something.

So VF4 will have 15 characters plus Dural ?
    Anymore character announce ?

vfkidz

3. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

> TAKA WILL NOT BE IN VF4. This is confirmed. Straight out of Suzuki's mouth.

jesus. wtf is this "popularity" bullshit as a reason? vf2 lion was horribly unpopular in japan - look the outcome in vf3. this isn't the sega i know.

well, so much for lightening up. jeff, have hiro translate this: "you're a WHORE, suzuki!" and then relay that message at E3.

4. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

> The outside of Sega's closed booth had running videos of several games. VF4 was shown but the quality was really bad--I think it was from a VHS recording. The colors were really washed out. What are you thinking Sega??

i think you answered this earlier in the same post...

> Suzuki did not feel that VF4 was ready for showing here in the U.S., which is understandable. Apparently, rumour has it that his mind was changed at the last minute and that he had originally wanted to bring it to E3 for private showing.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

No Taka, what a dissapointment.....................first VF that takes a character out, I and my playmate are the same opinion(alredy!!) this isn't a worthy VF3 (tb) sequel........but it's still Vf

cya

6. Guest

Guest Guest

i appreciate that Yu Suzuki mentioned again that he would like to bring us a DC port.......................even if the the top managers are only thinking how to maxamize their cash flow...

Thanks Yu