1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Some innocent Tekken 4 questions...

Discussion in 'General' started by Mirkan, Dec 8, 2001.

1. Mirkan

Mirkan Well-Known Member

I have some questions about Tekken 4.
    I've just picked up on Tekken 3 and I've played Jin alot. (some Bryan too, but that's beside the point)

Now, what I'd like to know is, are all my elite Jin-skills worth nothing now? =}
    I mean, as far as I know, Jin is played WAY different in Tekken 4 (traditional karate if I'm not mistaken?)
    Is there some other character to turn to now, with similiar execution?

Is Tekken 4 more of a side stepping game now, similiar to the changes to VF3 from VF2? (shorter dashing back and forth, emphasis on evasion)

And lastly, the poke game is more important now, does this totally distract from the "floating" nature of Tekken?

I could probably read all of these answers on a tekken site somewhere, but I'm not that into the insider talk of tekken. I post here for a relativly simple explaination =)

Thanks in advance
    /Mirkan

2. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Jin's just a different character now. However, I think Jin is a lot of fun to play as in Tekken 4.

As for the floating game... it's not like it's been killed, but for many characters that can float on and on and on, it just does so little damage that the matches get pretty long. There are some powerful as heck combos in there though.

Tekken 4 plays different overall, but the movelists are very similar. It's just how you end up applying stuff that is drastically changed... You might want to try Heihachi or Kazuya in T4.

As far as I've known, Tekken 3, TTT, and T4 have always had lots of side stepping. Check out www.tekkencentral.com and go to their movies section and check out the Lee vs. Lee movies to get an idea of a lot of sidestepping (as well as a lot of float combos that overall do little damage, but you'll see a crap load of hits).

Floating nature of Tekken isn't gone.... safety poking occurs a whole lot more than before... To me, however.... due to the extremely limited amount of safe pokes, the poking game feels a bit dumbed down to me.... especially since these safety pokes have a lot over other attacks.... it's like you have 1) safety pokes and 2) nice moves that get killed by safety pokes too much. And then you end up using a very limited movelist until your opponent blatantly messes up. To me, that all adds up to a dumbed down VF3 immitating poke & counter game. VF3 did it so well imo, but in T4 it's part of the game.

However, I see the flow of T4 battles moving around a lot. At times, it's like a dumbed down VF3 in trying to be a closeup poking battle. At other times, it eventually reverts back into trying to immitate Tekken 3 because little is happening on the poking side. But then the poking game kills the T3 immitating game so it moves back into poking... It's just a weird cycle I see happening in matches and to me, it makes Tekken 4 look confused as to what direction the game is supposed to go in.

So... yeah, poking detracts floating, but I see players shifting back and forth between poking and standard Tekken (or something that tries to be like that). Poking generally wins, but sometimes it seems like both players want to go for the big damage.

Wish I could say more and wish I could speak about T4 with confidence... but I stopped playing that game when VF4 came around, though I wouldn't mind playing every now and then.

For me... Jin's fun in Tekken 3 and Tekken 4. I really enjoy using him despite how different he is between the two games.

-Chanchai

3. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Hey, Jin has a hoodie now, what more could you want? :p

4. Mirkan

Mirkan Well-Known Member

Yeah, he certainly looks kickass =)

What's up with Kazuya though? Those glasses are just.. -82 =}
    To actually have him fight in that black leather coat of his would be awesome...

5. number 6

number 6 Active Member

haha. yeah there is good and bad news.

the bad news is that Jin is a totaly different charachter now, so all your tek3 & TTT Jin skills are worthless.

the good news is that Jin is an overpowered whore, easily the best character in the game, and now requires no skill.

his b+2+4 now is a parry that is very low risk if whiffed. after most parried moves you can get 2,4 f,f d+4. if the 2 hits the 4 of 2,4 is garunteed, and so is a d+4 after. his 2,1 is a safe high, mid poke. you don't need too much more than that imho.

6. TequilaPilot

TequilaPilot Member

Yeah, Jin's always been a whore, and the new plastic surgery just changed him into a different whore. 1,2,3 easily the best poke string in the game...
    Kaz is still pretty similar to his oldself, just more powerful now.
    Anyway, all Mishimas are whores, that's my opinion. Overpowered inbreeding lightning rod freaks...