1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Some Lion move questions

Discussion in 'Lion' started by Nolte, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Nolte

Nolte Well-Known Member

1. What's the point of [P][P][P] / [P][P][2][P] / and [P][P][4][P]? I can't see any point of using it seeing as the opponent can just duck the third hit and get an open attack...so, any use to these moves?

2. How does Lion's Meteor Punch fair against Kage's Jumonji stance Parry and Advancing Kick? I know the Meteor has a 1-13 or 14 sabaki window and hits at 27 frames whereas the Advancing Kick hits at 29. maybe I should just test it, but I thought I could get some interesting answers.

3. In some Lion videos I've seen, [3][P]+[G] is followed by [8][P]+[K]. Why? There's better options...[3][K]?, the riskier [3][P][P].

4. I've seen Chibita follow [6][1][P]+[G] with a High Swipe slam to [2][P][4][6][P]+[K][P][P] combo. I have no clue how to get the swipe in this situation (after[6][1][P]+[G]).

5. Any guaranteed combos after [1][K]?

2. TexasLion

TexasLion Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JunoSynth
    I'm still learning Lion too so maybe someone else can offer some better answers, but here's what I know.

[ QUOTE ]
    Nolte said:

1. What's the point of [P][P][P] / [P][P][2][P] / and [P][P][4][P]? I can't see any point of using it seeing as the opponent can just duck the third hit and get an open attack...so, any use to these moves?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well [P][P][P] is good after connecting with [3][P][K] since it's the highest guaranteed damage you can get on a non counter hit. It's also good for when your opponent is at at least -12 and they only need 32 pt damage or less to die. That's a good time for [P][P][P]. [P][P][2][P] can be used in certain combos, and just as a mix up. If they expect the last low hit, elbow or knee them. [P][P][4][P] I still don't know a real useful time to do this. Usually I see people just throw it out random, or at the end or rounds.

[ QUOTE ]
    2. How does Lion's Meteor Punch fair against Kage's Jumonji stance Parry and Advancing Kick? I know the Meteor has a 1-13 or 14 sabaki window and hits at 27 frames whereas the Advancing Kick hits at 29. maybe I should just test it, but I thought I could get some interesting answers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't know, sorry.

[ QUOTE ]
    3. In some Lion videos I've seen, [3][P]+[G] is followed by [8][P]+[K]. Why? There's better options...[3][K]?, the riskier [3][P][P].

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't know this either. I do know the Japanese don't always do the most damaging combos every time, and like to mix things up. Maybe they like it since it knocks down and leaves them standing for more wake up games.

[ QUOTE ]
    4. I've seen Chibita follow [6][1][P]+[G] with a High Swipe slam to [2][P][4][6][P]+[K][P][P] combo. I have no clue how to get the swipe in this situation (after[6][1][P]+[G]).

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing really special here, all he's doing is [6][1][P][G] then he dodges ([8] or [2]) then does his evading swipe ([8] or [2] [P][K][G]) when he recovers from the dodge animation.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

None that I know of.

3. Jide

Jide The Super Shinobi Silver Supporter

PSN:
    Blatant
    [ QUOTE ]
    Nolte said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Well against the wall [4][6][P]+[K][P][P] will work on lightweights.

4. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

You can try the following as a basic guessing game:

[P][P], elbow
    [P][P], delay, [2][P] (or sweep, throw, etc.)

Honestly though [4][6][P]+[K] series is better at initiating this.

Is [P][P][4][P] the one where he does the evading swipe at the end? I forget...haven't played Lion in a while. I think the really good/flashy Lion players use that for okizeme. It's pretty safe on block, and I think it's special high?

Boy I'm rusty.

5. TexasLion

TexasLion Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JunoSynth
    Btw, [P][P][4][P] is also neccessary for one of his deadliest wall combos. It works against light weights only though (against the girls).

You have to know the distance for this combo to work. In training mode it's around half screen with your back foot positioned just over the halfway point.

Closed stance only
    [2_][6]+[P] counter - [P][P][4][P] - wall hit high - [K],[K] - wall hit high - pounce

If you delay the pounce just right it'll be the full 25pt damage tacked on. If you do it right away, it'll only be 10 pt damage. So without timing the pounce it's 98 pt damage, and with a timed pounce it's 113 pt damage. Not a bad combo to remember.

6. KiwE

KiwE Well-Known Member

[P][P][4][P] is fully circular and +1 advantage on block. It's not special high but sometimes [2][P] against it acts abit weirdly (being avoided at closed stance). It also flops on even normal hit so is in essense a safe combolauncher with advantage on block that's pretty hard to punish even when ducking (I don't think you can duck the entire string and get shldrm garanteed on Lion for example).

/KiwE

7. Nolte

Nolte Well-Known Member

About the [P][P], [P], [2]+[P], [4]+[P] strings...basically if someone blocks or gets hit by the first two punches, the third [P] is unavoidable, but they should duck and guard which will allow a -19 advantage vs [2]+[P] or a free throw or hit vs the whiffed [4]+[P]. So they are useless as independent attacks unless the opponent dosn't know this simple info. Still good for combos and round finishers though...maybe delayed 3rd hits.

And about the [6][1][P]+[G], thanks TX Lion. I couldn't tell that he was beginning a new evade. I was trying it with the catch throw evade.