1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Some more info from Yu about VF4

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by adamYUKI, Feb 27, 2001.

1. adamYUKI

adamYUKI Well-Known Member

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI
    From coremagazine.com:

AM2 director Yu Suzuki went on record this weekend in Tokyo to discuss his recently announced arcade project, Virtua Fighter 4. To begin, Suzuki-san addressed questions concerning why there was such a lengthy gap between the development of VF3 and VF4. In his own words: "I wanted to take some time after Virtua Fighter 3 was finished, but over the past four years the demand for another sequel has risen. Recently it's been hard getting everyone on staff together since we've been busy working on separate projects, but we've finally begun development."

Continuing, Suzuki-san discussed his expectations for Virtua Fighter 4, and what players can expect later this year when it hits arcades. He said, "I believe we can meet all my expectations on the Naomi2 hardware, it's very well balanced. The game will include two new characters, male and female. The male character was unveiled in the trailer we released, he's a Buddhist monk. We're not at a stage in development where I can discuss the female character yet. For the audio, I'd like something that will match the raw intensity of the game -- perhaps a band like Limp Bizkit. The most important aspect is the new gameplay system, you'll be able to move freely in 3D. I think this will completely change the strategy of the Virtua Fighter series. Also, we're planning a network ranking system called VF-NET, we hope it will serve as the basis for a Virtua Fighter online community in the future."

<font color=red>ORA! ORA! ORA!</font color=red>

<font color=white>adam</font color=white><font color=red>YUKI</font color=red>

2. Guest

Guest Guest

rankings and limp bizkit?
    ooerr....

3. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

VF4...music by..Limp Bizkit

WTF!!

hmmm, why not KORN (and yes I like korn)

<font color=red>PICCOLO</font color=red>
    fuck spelling!

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Limp Bizkit!?

Perhaps sticking to conventions would be better (i.e. wordless instrumentals)

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Vf-online-community, sounds cool!!!!!
    uffff, at least it will have 3D movement!!!
    but i don't think it can get better then the dodge-button.
    i liked the way you could combine dodge-button with stick to get totaly new Dodge-steps(Lion,shun) and the 3D attacks were also very cool(Shun,lion,wolf,Akira,...)

6. Finsane

Finsane Member

I was hoping for some traditional chinese instrumental music. Like the OUATIC soundtrack. At least in the chinese stages.

7. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Too match the raw intensity of the game...one must have music like limp bizkit.

Hmmmm...I thought intensity is something we created in our own heads, the rest is just gravy. No?

I guess...outside influences on this game is more 'intense' than i thought.

Nothing wrong with korn pic/images/icons/tongue.gif

<font color=red>SummErs' 'mibu's lone wolf'

8. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

To be honest - I'd be extremely content listening to Limp Bizkit style music without lyrics. Those boys are quite talented.

cheers,

<font color=white> Llanfair the prized <font color=green>cabbage</font color=green></font color=white>

9. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

I'm sure Suzuki is not proposing to have the entire game with Limp Bizkit music...does he? And yeah, I like Limp Bizkit too but...

ice-9

10. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

HAHA
    I can hear it already

"dude...not only is the game shit, it's got limp bizkit on every level too!!!' (non vfer...)

<font color=red>SummErs' 'mibu's lone wolf'

11. Guest

Guest Guest

I;d votefor more in the style of VF4. Chinese/Rock influenced, since VF has a huge Chinese influence, but that's just me.

Change the fundamentals of the game? Hmm. Maybe our VF3 skills won't be much applicable then.

12. Llanfair

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

Maybe our VF3 skills won't be much applicable then.

<hr></blockquote>

This should come as no surprise - very few of the skills learned in VF2 were applicable to VF3. Taiwan Step was gone, modifying moves with a backwards crouch dash was gone, true senbon punches were removed although PKG-Throw can still be well implemented, low-punch instant crouch was gone (no more lightning fast low-punch double palm), and so on...

These were some of the techniques that were applicable in high level play (expecially the db,d,db modification of moves).

VF4 will be new and all of us will be cut to a level playing field. New advanced strategies and techniques will be developed and a whole new VF community with likely begin.

The only advantage that veteran players of the VF series will have is knowledge of the majority of characters' movelists.

cheers,

<font color=white> Llanfair the prized <font color=green>cabbage</font color=green></font color=white>

13. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

we ARE talking about the same limp bizkit aren't we? UGH! why would anyone listen to that juvenile pile of crap?

14. Gnug315

Gnug315 Well-Known Member

Hm I disagree with that, Llan. IMO I as a veteran VF2 player held a huge advantage over those new to VF when VF3 came out. I highly doubt I could have gotten as good as I got in ½ a year of VF3'ing without the 4 years of VF2'ing that went prior. I'll agree that many/most of the specific techniques mastered in VF2 became moot in VF3, but the whole yomi thing developed from playing VF2 for so long gave me a very solid and broad understanding of the dynamics of VF that can't be compensated in any way other than personal firsthand experience.

I'm sure the same thing will hold true with VF4 to some degree, and I'm guessing a it's a greater one rather than lesser. I don't care if the best players in the world of all the 2d fighting games suddenly jump into the VF series in it's fourth installment: I as a veteran of the series will hold a huge advantage over them, my personal talents (or lack thereof) for the game notwithstanding - and not just because I'll know most of the movelist by heart from the getgo.

Most humbly, ofcourse /images/icons/wink.gif

- Jan

15. Guest

Guest Guest

I think that was more what I was trying to say in my orginal post, although Llanfair's points are also well taken. On a lower level basis, VF2 and VF3 played similarly enough so that VF2 vets had a fundamental advantage, at least from my perspective.

So, if Suzuki says he's gonna change the fundamentals....(although it doesn't look like it will be that harsh from the videos, who knows)

16. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

It's not just sequels within a fighting game though. My experience with VF3 (I wasn't much of a VF2 player) gave me a huge headstart in pretty much every fighting game I played thereafter.

ice-9

17. Llanfair

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

yomi thing developed from playing VF2 for so long gave me a very solid and broad understanding of the dynamics of VF that can't be compensated in any way other than personal firsthand experience.

<hr></blockquote>

Ahhh yes yes yes. I hadn't thought of yomi as being a 'skill' per say. I would agree mucho on that point. Good call! ;)

Yeah, my schtick was mainly in regards to mechanical variables in VF3 - not so much the metaphysical aspects of the game, including experience. Jan, your point of experience playing a large role in your abilities as they carry over to VF4 are well taken and extremely valid - thanks for pointing that out ;)

I've also noticed the same thing as Jeff - that my skills in other fighting games were vastly improved, especially during the learning stages...in my particular case I'm thinking of how I approached Soul Calibur, Tekken 3 and the recent Fighting Vipers 2. I guess in a sense, although the games themselves and their specific engines, etc, are different - they're all still within the same genre and therefore have much in common when dealing with real human opponents.

cheers,

18. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Hmm..well, maybe if its the limp bizkit of old, not the new crap..yes, I love the old limp...but..well, shit..I am not gunna bitch and moan cause it won't change a damn thing.

"Victory can be anticipated, but not assured" Sun-Tzu