1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Someone Tell Sega before it's too late.

Discussion in 'General' started by powerincarnate, Oct 19, 2006.

1. powerincarnate

powerincarnate Well-Known Member

El Blaze's Voice acting is atrocious. I can't think of a worst voice for anyone in any fighting game I've ever seen. First of, it seems to deep for someone who Namco is gonna make weigh some where in the 130 range. 2nd, it sounds nothing like a mexican. Obviously I understand that that you can't "put" people in categories, but you could in general differentiate people from regions and from countries. IE.. and English vs. Austrailian vs. American. A Texan vs. a Brooklyn New Yorker vs. a South Carolinian. So I'm sure you can differentiate a Mexican.

While your at it, PLEASE get rid of Lion's voice actor. His complaint comes from the fact that A. He doesn't sound French in the slightest and B. It almost seems Mortal Kombatish where someone is given intentionaly bad Voice Acting to emulate some Hong Kong dubbed movie.

While your at it, Fix the Weights of characters, though it really doesn't matter in the grand theme of things unless it switches which category characters fall in. For example in VF4 Vanessa was clearly bigger than all the girls, but she was somehow the same weight as Sarah and was just 13 pounds heavier than Pai, thats just 13 pounds, that is insignificant, considering Vanessa is Taller. One look at Vanessa and you'll see that she's even bigger than guys like Lion. Finally she's supposibly Butch and if anyone lives in the real world, you'll know that girls with that big of a thigh, butt, and legs in general, in addition to muscular arms, should be closer to 145-150 than 121 considering her height as well. Trust me, I ran track in college, I have an idea of how much muscular women should weigh. Goh 146, KAGE is basically around there, the character models simply don't match the weight of their character as if their bones are somehow hollow to reach such weights. Vanessa in VF5 is clearly smaller and her weight should be in the 135 range by my estimate.

Again, the weight issue really doesn't bother me because I just forget about it pretty quickly, but Blazes voice really does have to go.

2. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

OK, thanks for the suggestions, we will consider them.

3. RagingSilver

RagingSilver Well-Known Member

yea I agree there with blazes voice, then again Lau's voice has annoyed me since forever. His voice is like nails on a blackboard to me.

As for the weight issue, who really cares, it's prolly just muscle weight that gained her 13 pounds extra. Ah well, there nothing you can do for the voices, whats done is done and people recognise the voices in later games.

4. Cuz

Cuz Well-Known Member

I'm walking there now.

5. powerincarnate

powerincarnate Well-Known Member

Muscle weight does now account for the Sheer Size difference between Vanessa and Pai. Remember muscle is heavy and dense and 13 pounds considering the height difference is essentially identical body type. Again, it's when you go back to the book or on the site do you I see the weight issue as I don't really care about it that much, BUT who knows, if the weights were more realistic, Vanessa would be in the Kage group of Weight and thus not float as much.

I don't mind Lau's voice, maybe because I'm not chinese (isn't it actually Japanese in the game) plus I like the Aiyeeee sound when I give someone that mean Roundhouse he has. Now I'm not saying this is Hollywood level Voice actors but you run through the guys and they are half-way decent and then BOOM Lion and now BOOM Blaze. Lion sounds like someone actually TRIED to have a very bad voice sort of the Good Bad voice acting that some people like in movies like Evil Dead, one that was dominant in the obvious attempt in the Konquest mode in Mortal Kombat Deception.

Blaze, I can't even categorize it, It's Not even Good Bad, It's Bad Bad. This is a definite "What were they thinking" decision that we might have to deal with forever in VF games.

6. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

nah leave it as it is, it woulnt be VF if it doesnt have SOME bad voice acting (not all of them are bad). I heard am2 some of the am2 devs know the voices are "bad" and just did it intentionally.

its part of the enjoyment anyway. in every gathering i've been or arcade (in nyc heheh) you always see people making fun of the voices, shouting out the lines at ramdom times. bad voice acting in VF is a GOOD thing! its hella funny...

after writing this i feel im twice the man i used to be. anyways...gonna eat some HOTDOGG!!

ps. weight balance issues are nothing to meeee.

ok ill stop..-_-

7. Dandy_J

Dandy_J Well-Known Member

HOTDAWG~

8. tonyfamilia

tonyfamilia Well-Known Member

I know what you mean, powerincarnate, it's like all this game needs to take it from "great-playing fighting game" to "the greatest fighting game of all time" is a cooler presentation.
    Everybody knows that content is way more important than packaging but in order for VF to excel in sales, stateside, they need to change their PRESENTATION.

Presentation can make or break a product.
    Cooler voice acting, cooler win/loss poses, cooler intros and, for the love of God, a reward for beating the game. Even a CG photograph when you win the game would be an improvement.
    I'm not saying that they need to take it over the top and put explosions, robots, animals, laser beams, etc. like Tekken. But VF has got DBZ, Tekken, DOA and MK beat when it comes to gameplay but it still doesnt sell as good as any of these games.
    What gives these games the appeal to draw in huge crowds is eye candy and a cool look/feel.
    VF feels like work when compared to these other games but then it doesn't offer any scantily-dressed femmes or even subtitles to what the non-English speaking characters say.
    It IS perfectly balanced, it DOES have perfect gameplay, but can it sound and look better? Can it beat Tekken, Soul Calibur and MK in sales if it did?The answer, SEGA, is YES.

P.S. I know nobody here works for SEGA, but I wrote this just in case they actually give a damn about us stateside and decide to read this thread.
    Aangh (shrugs) wishful thinking...

9. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    tonyfamilia said:
    P.S. I know nobody here works for SEGA...

[/ QUOTE ]
    Actually, that's not true...

10. Sebo

Sebo Well-Known Member Content Manager Taka Content Manager Jeffry

PSN:
    Sebopants
    Meh. I love El Blaze's voice. Yes it is awful, but "What are you waiting for? COME GET SOME!" *begins coolest nuetral stance in game*

The only thing that bothers me is his height (Eileen is around the same).

11. Poppa

Poppa Well-Known Member

http://virtuafighter.com/versuscity/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/143927/an/0/page/0#143927

My ideas are somewhere in there...

Basically, I agree with Tony. Except, I only want stuff like Customizable taunts mid game (wouldn't that be cocky to pull off a taunt in the finals of a match? /versus/images/graemlins/cool.gif ). And, of course, customizable start and win/lose quotes.

As for the voices, I think they should all speak their respective languages (i.e. Lion speaks french, Brad Italian, etc...).

And put subtitles in so we can understand what they're saying, but make it optional (i.e. English subtitles and only do it for Japanese and Spanish).

And for Vanessa (since her country of origin is unknown) it would be cool to have her speak multiple languages (eg: Greek, Russian, English (with a British and American accent), German, etc...). It would really give her that "unknown" aspect.

Of course...for guys like El Blaze, I wouldn't mind if they still spoke some English (HAWT DAWG!!!). But most of his quotes should be in Spanish.

I would also like to have character interaction quotes (i.e. if both players hold down certain buttons, they'll do something together like Pai and Lau will...ummm...hug?). And they can have "nice" double character quotes or "mean" double quotes (i.e. one player holds down the buttons for the nice duel quote, and the other for the mean, so player 1 will start the nice quote and player 2 will bitch slap player 1; and if they both try the mean quote, they do a stare down or something).

Also, different voices for the announcer would be nice (I think this was in VF4), like a sexy sounding woman, a beast, a nerd...

Ummm, ya. That's about it. Everything else is in the link I gave.

So, all of these ideas don't actually affect the game itself, they just make the game more pleasant to play and organized. If you looked at the link, I had an idea for tournaments being all organized by the game itself. This would simply make stuff like VF parties or tourneys like Evo 2k more organized and simpler for the organizers themselves.

As well, everything should be customizable, cause it gives everything a huge replay value and will deliver on the eye candy (like my idea of changing the colour of the health bars or the colour and fonts of the menus (both somewhere in the link I gave).

12. [ QUOTE ]
    GLC said:

[ QUOTE ]
    tonyfamilia said:
    P.S. I know nobody here works for SEGA...

[/ QUOTE ]
    Actually, that's not true...

[/ QUOTE ]

Who's the lucky sod then ...

13. ThisGuy

ThisGuy Active Member

Im not one to usually complain about voice acting in a video game, but... El Blaze is on a whole different level.

I'd feel much better about him if he said "SSSIIIII CARNE ASADA!" In stead of the awful "YEEEAAAHHH HOT DOG!" /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

14. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

Its too late

15. HervE

HervE Active Member

Fishie, with constant updates it's never too late. I don't think it matters anyways. I have a feeling Sega doesn't scout this site for idea.

I agree about Vennesa, but it's not a big deal. They could just make her look smaller it wouldn't matter.

I think El Blaze should just speak Spanish. It's hard to be annoying if no one understands the words.

Lion is fine don't mess with him.

16. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

It's too late. Now subtitles... that's a good suggestion.

17. Shag

Shag Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ShagPSN
    XBL:
    Shagnificent
    I'm in the minority, I love El Blaze's voice. /versus/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Why does he have to speak Spanish? All of the famous Hispanic/Latino wrestlers speak English: Tito Santana, Carlito, Rey Mysterio, Eddie Guerreo (R.I.P.) /versus/images/graemlins/frown.gif

18. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Tito Santana

[/ QUOTE ]

<3<3<3

19. foda500

foda500 Member

I <3 El blaze voice

20. INCIDENT

INCIDENT Well-Known Member

Start running....................... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!

Yeah. Too much fun.

Oh, and before I forget....

I WILL BE INVINCIBLE BEYOND ALL IMAGINATION!!!!!!!!

*dropkicks the camera*