1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

somewhat decent new ps2 footage

Discussion in 'VF.TV' started by GreatDeceiver, Jan 25, 2002.

1. GreatDeceiver

GreatDeceiver Well-Known Member

There's a new "video preview" at videogames.com - I was surprised to see that there's footage of the new stage, among other things. It gives a pretty good idea of the graphical quality of the conversion.

I'd say it's a pretty decent download, if you can get past the incredibly scrubby aoi playing and the moronic "reporter" who won't shut up. <a target="_blank" href=http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters/products/media/0>http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters/products/media/0</a>,11100,466561,00.html

<edit> and the fact that it's ~80MB, laff.

2. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Pretty good preview. Ricardo sounds completely gay, but he does have some idea what he's talking about, which is nice for a change.

3. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Who loves direct links and no ads? meee!
    <a target="_blank" href=ftp://ftp.zdnet.com/vgs/ps2/fight/vf4/vf4_ps2_vp.mpg>ftp://ftp.zdnet.com/vgs/ps2/fight/vf4/vf4_ps2_vp.mpg</a>
    for this eighty meg monster.

4. sansan

sansan Active Member

The water in the new stage looks cool... i just wonder if there are fishes swimming inside /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

5. ItsEd

ItsEd Member

i want to custom a charachter, too bad we cant import it to aracade machines, grr.

6. Mirkan

Mirkan Well-Known Member

Poor fish =}
    Akira would turn them into little clouds of pulverized meat =}

7. Daniel Thomas

Daniel Thomas Well-Known Member

Videogames.com really came through wih their VF4 preview today. A good number of new photos and video clips from the finished version. Some observations:

-- I was surprised to see two new stages instead of one. The construction zone is nice, but it would really be funny if it was one of those warehouses from Shenmue (complete with forklift racing in the background). The water-based stage is also very cool; if there's one thing the PS2 does really well, it's water. Wonder if these locales will appear in the arcade ver.C?

-- The person who wrote the preview did a good job writing, but what's with his playing? The Aoi and Kage are terrible! Man, why can't I ever find these people at the arcades? Ha, ha, funny stuff; maybe it was his first time playing.

-- My favorite surprise was the opening movie clip, in reality Sega's brilliant commercial for Japan. How about the fact that it's still footage of the arcade, instead of re-shooting the home version? That just takes balls.

-- I thought it was clever how some cinematic shots were changed around at times. I'm thinking of those sweeps of the stage before the fight starts, and altered views of the fighters (like Lau's staccato zoom). It's as though AM2 is aware of the PS2's weaknesses, and wants to keep you from focusing on anything long enough to notice.

-- Great to see the spotlights in Wolf's nightclub. Again, it's cool to see how Suzuki et. al. work with the limitations of the PS2. Since the console can't draw textures for all those clubbers, you alter the lighting and put them in shadows. Kinda like putting Shun Di's raft on a beach in Saturn VF2. Sure, it's scaled back from the coin-op, but very smartly done.

-- BTW, same thing with the fog. True, it's done to hide the PS2's weaknesses, but at least it looks very well.

-- I can't wait to see the saved replay clips over the Internet. That alone (and the whole A.I. training bit) makes this the best home videogame of the year. Can someone find a way to view those PS2 replays on your PC?

Overall, this looks damn good. And this thing was made in less than six months! What will Howard Scott Warshaw's excuse for E.T. be now?

8. nascarbryant

nascarbryant Well-Known Member

Okay the Resolution isn't high(the movie), but i agree with you. I like what i see.
    I also recognized two new stages,allthough the construction site is only present in the sparring mode,isn't it ?
    the intro seems to be from the N2 version. i still didn't see Jacky's stage(lightning wonder), did you?.
    I like the fog very much, i don't think it is volumetric though, but it does the job, it covers the pale background textures, and ads to the atmosphere,cool.
    lei feis hand in the intro ,seems to lack some textures(only a detail). we all know that the texture issue and the lightning issue can't be solved easily. Nice move to take an other route to achieve an impressive result. animations(clothes,hair) are all there, and look very nice.

It's time to buy a U.S playstation(fucking shit the games wil be released only in march u.s)

9. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

Made in less then six months my ass .
    Iff ya believe that I have some prime (swamp)land to sell you in Florida .
    So basically when they anounced it for PS2 a year ago they decided not to work anny on it for another 6 months ?
    Get real .

Almost as silly as believing Namco´s claims that TTT on PS2 was made in six months despite them showing a PS2 realtime demo on the PS2 hardware unveiling 14 months prior .

10. Rary

Rary Member

"Made in less then six months my ass."

I think Mr. Suzuki meant that the conversion has been done for a while, and that in theory VF4 for PS2 could have been released in 2001, but AM2 wanted the PS2 to have version C, and to add new modes (training, AI, kumite, etc).