1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

SORRY KOFU!

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Tsuujin, Sep 3, 2003.

1. Tsuujin

Tsuujin Well-Known Member

I know evo is old news now but I never really got to have my say on the matter. I have wanted to post for ages now but I have had no time to write really, anyway at long last here is what happened (for me) at Evo 2k3 in the evo tourney. I REALLY did not pause it by the way people. What happened was before the tournament there was a really big announcement made on the microphone about pausing in any console tournament. It was like if anyone paused the game during the tournament then that person would forfeit that round. I have a friend called Q dogg (a very good US Tekken player), when QDogg was in the tekken 4 tourney in the pools, he was playing some guy and he was battering his opponent, then just before he was about to win the guy paused it, but cos Q dogg was winning by such a big margin he allowed the opponent to continue without being dq'd. But to his horror the guy came back from like no energy and beat him to knock q dogg out of the tournament. Q Dogg was so gutted and all day he kept saying how he won't ever let that happen again no matter what the scenario. That mentality kinda got embedded in my brain during the day, and when the Kofu thing happened I immediately thought of Q Dogg Law :p . When Kofu paused it (or when the game paused...ghosts!!??!?!?! :) ) it was the last round so Kofu forfeit. The pause in my game was the very first pause of the vf tournament. The pause happened at a kind of equal situation when you look at the movies but at the time I was thinking about so many things at once, when the game suddenly paused like that I lost all my thoughts instantly. Then when it was unpaused my mind wasn't ready anymore and I lost concentration, I was still kinda thinking of the pause even after we continued, as we continued I was always thinking "Maybe I should have acted on that pause." "Why didn't I say something straight away?" I didn't really want to play on but Kofu unpaused it and because the judges hadn't said anything about the pause I thought they were just allowing it and that I had to continue as it was so I kinda felt forced back in the match even though I wasn't thinking or anything. Later on in the tournament while I played Ohsu, it paused again but this time it felt real weird, (when the Ryan/Kofu pause happened it was the very first big screen VF evo tourney pause) Ohsu said he didn't pause it and I didn't feel like I had paused it, it was almost like as if no one had paused it, I really felt that, Ohsu had just done a b,d/f+p+g on me so I know I wouldn't have been pressing any buttons. The guaranteed double palm (that I know Ohsu never misses) takes enough damage as it is. Anyway we both didn't know who paused it and I suddenly started to wonder if just maybe no one had paused it before in the other match as well. Then Ohsu suggested we just start again seen as it was still the first or round (I think). I knew it didn't matter, he had a guaranteed win on me and we both knew it so starting again or continuing was all the same to me. I was way outta shape to play him, hadn't practiced evo for ages cos I had been working and practicing on ttt and not vf evo. Later on I think I can remember at least 1 or 2 more pauses during the tourney in the neo tower vs (???)someone match and there was definitely a pause in the final with chibita and ohsu, when pauses occured in these matches, they just ignored the rules and continued, this made me and my pause look real lame (I wonder if they deliberately paused it then unpaused it quickly to make a point? Nah, they wouldn't do that...would they? I mean, you know, to make me look real bad n'all? Aww, who cares right?) and I felt so bad, I wished I had played on and just ignored the pause. If those matches would have happened first then mine after I would have definitely ignored the pause, I just thought it was the rules so I acted on it. When I came 3rd I should have offered Kofu a match on the spot for 3rd place, that would have been great, I regret not doing that now. I wasn't thinking straight at all. I know I don't need no advantages to beat anyone on VF. Anyway I decided to use all the money I got for 3rd place in the vf tourney to buy KOFU MEGANE a present that I will take to Japan with me and give to him the next time I go to Japan, just a little something to say sorry, you know. Of course there will be a rematch too. :) ON ARCADE WHERE WE ARE SAFE FROM START BUTTONS!

2. replicant

replicant Well-Known Member

It's nice you are apologizing now, but it's still lame that you waited until after you lost to complain and a month later to apologize. Do whatever you need to do to make yourself feel better. I'm sure Kofu understood that you were using the rules and that it would be a legitimate win, but it's still shady. <shrug> Ce Sara Sara!

3. Tsuujin

Yes, you're right, it is lame that I complained after losing the game but I really felt like I wouldn't have lost if it hadn't been paused. I mean why was the game allowed to be continued anyway, it's not like I had said I didn't mind the pause or anything.

Huh, I like the way you use the word "waited" like I been sitting in a rocking chair knitting jumpers since evo.

Evo put me back on a lot of work and I was behind on schedule when I got back and my life outside of work isn't exactly free either. I have been busy on all sides that's why I didn't post sooner.

Also it's not like no one knew how I felt anyway, I was suprised that no one had said anything. Shows a lot. I had also spoke to peeps on IRC a couple of times about how sorry I was and stuff. Anyway, minor.

4. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    I had already talked to Ryan about the whole pause issue quite a while ago, and I feel he's genuinely sorry it went down like that. I personally don't like it when this topic keeps popping up because I'd rather remember the good things about Evo which far outweigh the few not-so-good things that unfortunately occurred.

Most agree that Ryan should not have kept playing if the pause affected him so much. Continuing to play on suggests you've accepted and let it go. Like Ryan said, it happened at a seemingly neutral point in the match as well, although it was the final round, so it wasn't obvious to anyone watching that the pause affected him much, if at all.

Contesting the pause after the match may not have been good form, and I don't want to point fingers at anyone, but I think the decision to enforce the pause rule after the match by the staff at hand was a poor one. They should have told Ryan, "sorry, but you kept playing on." But they didn't, and instead, penalised Kofu.

Both people claim they never paused but one thing I've noticed on the Evo Joysticks is that it's VERY EASY to accidently pause the match. The SELECT button is like in the 1 o'clock position relative to the Kick button and maybe an inch or less away. Pressing the Select (as well as Start) button pauses the game. While the Select button is recessed into the unit, it doesn't need to be fully pressed before it activates. So what I'm saying is, either of them could have paused it without knowing. As Ryan mentioned, pauses occured in other matches during the finals. Maybe it was nerves in the hands, maybe it was the stick jiggling around slightly, or all of the above. Enforcing a rule like this is difficult, but policing it retrospectively is not the way to go, IMO. A lesson learned for all.

Ryan, I'm waiting for my jumper! Size M, ok? :)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  5. TexasLion

TexasLion Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JunoSynth
    I don't get something, if Kofu and Ryan both denied pausing, then what determined who should get disqualified? Why was Kofu found guilty? He didn't really have a chance to speak his say due to the language situation, otherwise maybe he could of explained his side (or did he explain his side before the judgement?)

Also, I've had sticks where the Start button has a loose wire or something and it pauses periodically. Not that this is what happened but it does happen.

6. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

I wasn't even there, and I can tell you that's pretty lame. You can't call a technicality after that fact... especially after you lose. Not just in Evo, but anything competition. You make a choice, you stick to it.

7. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    I don't think Kofu denied pausing strongly enough. Kuni was on hand to translate so I don't believe there were any language problems either. In retrospect I regret not getting involved, but it all happened so fast. It was like, as soon as the match was over, Ryan turned around and talked to somebody, then some other people got involved. Everyone else (including me) is just sitting around waiting for the final match to be played, 'cos it was 1-1 at that point, and wondering why the long hold up. Everyone's getting restless then suddenly an annoucement is made on the PA -- Kofu is DQ'd for the pause. People are in shock, boo's are heard, etc.

8. GaijinPunch

Cross-Culture lesson 101 for people who've never met a Japanese before:

He wouldn't have, nor would about 99% of the Japanese population. It's in their culture to avoid confrontation. He's probably plotting his revenge right now. Looks like I've got something to chat w/ him about now.

I generally hate stereotypes, but this one fits in most cases. And I know Kofu well enough to assume so.

9. kungfusmurf

kungfusmurf Well-Known Member

It must be because I'm Chinese and when i was in Japan, they actually assumed that I was a Nihojin. I would have to disagree with Gaijin's opinion of 99% of Japanese wanting to avoid confrontation. Seriously, I'd nearly got in a fight at least twice, once on the street and while practicing karate.

10. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Well...I HAVE gotten into a fight before with a Japanese VF crazy, but I will concur with GP on this one.

I don't even know Kofu, but I can easily see how the vast majority of Japanese (and Asian too, I suppose) would have tried to avoid confrontation in that situation. Don't forget that Kofu is a guest, a foreigner in another country and has to put on a polite face to his hosts. Heck if someone tried to beat me up in a Singaporean arcade, I'd engage...but if it happened in Japan...

Also, I assume that while Kofu doesn't think he paused the game, he's probably not 100% sure either (i.e. who knows what one pressed on home joysticks). Certainly not to the degree where he'd make a big deal out of it at a tournament with many people (foreigners, hosts) watching.

11. GaijinPunch

Hehe. I don't know many other asians besides the ones in the states, so I can't comment. I've heard that Singaporeans won't back down like Japanese.

Ice's little incident was totally isolated... well, sort of. I actually knew the attacker, and I think he was having problems. Again, I think he was on medication. It's few and far between though. As pissed off as I've seen people, rarely does it get ugly, and you gotta remember, how many people are playing fighting games in Japanese arcades? A *LOT*.

Funny enough, I had to tell a guy to fuck himself on the street yesterday. Rarely happens, but it does.

The guest thing as well -- no way Kofu was going to throw a fit over it.

12. Tsuujin

Yes, you're right, it is lame that I complained after losing the game but I really felt like I wouldn't have lost if it hadn't been paused. I mean why was the game allowed to be continued anyway? Wasn't that the rules? It's not like I had said I didn't mind the pause or anything.

As the rules had been already stated, I thought the match would be stopped or cancelled. I was suprised when it was continued, I was waiting for someone to say something. When the match was continued I wasn't even thinking about the match properly anymore.

After the match, Kuni san came out and spoke to Kofu, I didn't hear all of what they said cos they spoke quietly but I did see when Kuni san was asking Kofu if he had paused the game or not, so I know Kofu got to have his say.

It saddens me that you use this negative topic which is obviously only gonna cause trouble to further your relationship with Kofu. It not only is a bad memory for him but it is also a very embarrasing and regretful memory for me. If I were you I wouldn't bring up such dark subjects, you said you had a good relationship with Kofu already so why do you need this subject to provide entertainment between you both? Surely you have better subjects to be getting along with? When you mention evo2k3, what do you expect him to do? Jump up and down with glee? He's more likely to swear blind about how much he wants to beat up that Kage player from the UK. I hope he can forgive me in time.

Gaijin Punch, if you know Kofu well, could you please tell him that I am really sorry for what happened at Evo2k3. If I make it to Japan of course I will tell him myself as well but I would appreciate if you could tell him for me. Thank you

Anyway on a much lighter note I still wanna piece of you on Evo. If you still play in Tokyo, I will be seeing you in just over a month Mr. Punch /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif . I came to play you once before, I heard you played in Shibuya Gigo, but when I went there you didn't come that day.

13. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

I feel compelled to reply on this statement. I've watched the clip where the pause occurs. I've watched it frame for frame in the seconds surrounding the pause.

Ryan, your Kage was in the midst of a combo. [9][K][+][G] -> [2][P] -> [6][P][+][K][P][+][K]. The pause happens right between the first and second chop. Kofu's Aoi was airborne. Nonetheless, the pause occurs at a time when technically neither player's inputs would've have mattered. The combo was still coming out in mid animation. I really don't see how this pause affected your game at all - especially enough for you to say now that the pause was cause to your loss.

Who paused? Who knows. Could've been the experienced Japanese player mashing buttons while his Aoi was airborne. Could've been you mashing out the combo.

From what I could gather, it happened at a time in the match where if mattered little to the outcome.

14. Nashi

Nashi Well-Known Member

Rule violations must be reported at the time they occur. Otherwise, they will be ignored.

Example: During your MvC2 match, your opponent uses the Ruby Heart glitch to freeze time for 15 seconds. Near the end of your match (2 minutes later) you see that you're losing and stop the match to report the violation. Since you didn't report the violation immediately, it is ignored, and since you've stopped the match, you are now forced to forfeit. Be careful.

(This was copied from EVO2k3 rules).

The example given is similar to the pause. You have to report, and not wait for someone to notice and do it for you. It's lame but it's the way it works. Since it happened in that moment you had to report shortly after the pause.

IMO though, I think it was even more stupid that the judges gave the win to you for a simple reason: You both did shit. By the rules you'd have done shit later so they would ignore you. Instead, they gave the win to you. At least they could've made you repeat that match..

Well, what's done is done.. Stay cool =)

15. Faded

Faded Well-Known Member

I think what he was trying to say that it was the being distracted by thinking about the pause for the rest of the match which caused him to lose.

I don't really have an opinion on the whole situation.

*shrug*

Dude obviously feels bad about what went down and is at least attempting to apologise. That to me seems more important than discussing the past over and over.

16. GaijinPunch

I'm not best-buds w/ Kofu. I do see him from time to time, and we chat. He's given me a lot of Aoi pointers, mainly during the Evo beta tests. I've only seen him 4-5 times since then, but we still exchange some words. I won't bring up a sour topic to rub it in or anything, although I am curious as to his stance. For all anyone knows, he may not even care.

On the topic of the pause effecting your game... well, rules are rules, and if you want to excercise them, that's your business, although you probably should've just said, "I'd rather not continue until we get a ruling here." Then you could've avoided the whole thing.

Personally, I would've continued the match, no questions asked. No way I'd want to win on a technicality, but that's just me. I'm not dogging you -- just stating how I'd do it.

A month, eh? Rumor has it I'll be getting married in October, but since the wedding coordinator apparantly doesn't show up for work, who the hell knows. In other words, I'll probably be here -- just drop me a PM and we can set up a time. Gigo is my normal hangout, as it's close to the gym I go to, and I usually swing by there a few times a week on the way home.

Cheers.

17. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Funny enough, I had to tell a guy to fuck himself on the street yesterday.

Lol, what was that for?

PS: While the topic's been hashed to death, I just wanted to say it's kinda funny/cool that sesshourou had the best point in this whole thread. He was the only guy to actually consult the rules apparently.

What a clusterfuck - player X pauses, ryan bitches, and the evo staff member DQ's someone when the rules state that the win should have stood. To the credit of the evo staff guy, he probably had no idea that ryan voluntarily played on and that the match ended normally minutes ago.

PS to ryan - you mention getting the "win at all costs" mindset from your buddy, who was mad at himself for not taking his free DQ when he should have. I think that's kinda retarded, he really should be mad at himself for *losing* (and probably was), not for his failure to take a cheap win. I wish your friend hadn't poisoned your thinking. If you're the type of guy to say "getting third vs fourth (and not first) means fuckall to me" (and you said that) ...then you should also be the kind of person to say "getting first by a cheap win means fuckall to me".

18. GaijinPunch

I left my money clip (w/o the money) in a cab. Had to do a 50 yard sprint to catch it, and almost dismantle the seat to find it. It was a gift from my Aunt, so wasn't about to just forget about it.

Another car was having trouble getting out, and a 3rd party, that was just walking by and had nothing to do with anything started yelling at me, and to hurry up. I gave the strongest Japanese equivalent I know of, and told him if he still had a problem to swing by. He just walked off. I think he's the crazy asshole that likes to "direct traffic" in that part of town.

19. kungfusmurf

kungfusmurf Well-Known Member

Hondo? :eek: Jordan Janai desho? :LOL: Baka Yaro, hehehe. :mad:

20. Tsuujin

Yes , you guys are right, I should have just continued and not let the pause phase me. I am sorry about it but Im not gonna beat myself up about it forever. I know I can't change the past but I like to believe I can change the future and that's what I intend to do. See you in Jp Gaijin. Getting married huh? That's a big step, can she play vf :) ? just kidding. Look after yourself man.

Ryan