1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Soul Caliber -vs- VF3tb

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by Guest, Nov 3, 1999.

1. Nutlog

Nutlog Well-Known Member

Pardon the referenced flashback to Soul Edge (shudder). Insert any 3-string from a character for that illustration, or the 8WR BAB string, the point still is valid for almost all you'll find.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

I have to agree with ice-9:

I am of the opinion that many moves in SC are not quite balanced and much too powerful. The vast majority of the attacks in SC are not counterable. Evading is not that powerful and not fast enough in close combat.

In VF3, when I know the opponent is going to do something, I can easily punish the opponent.

Similar situation with tekken. A really slow side step and uncounterable moves
    can be really anoying. ie. laws b+rp,lk,rk is really anoying. Some people at
    my arcade do nothing but that, and beat people about 10 times better than them.
    Very anoying.

3. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Someone here {forgive my early age senility} said something about that SC favors the attacker, and VF favors the defender. I think this comes down to what type of fighter they are. In weapons combat...almost always the attacker will win. The attacker sets the pace of the fight,t he tempo, and where the weapons are...a more aggressive, but less skilled fighter has a better chance of winning than a more skilled but less aggressive attacker. I know this from doing SCA {basically recreating weapons fights with foam weapons and the such}. Virtua fighter captures one of the main essenses of a hand to hand combat is that the aggressive defender will usually win. That is the person who waits for/creates through carefull attacks/defense an oppening and then exploits it.
    _josh

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Well, as long as this thread doesn't seem to be able to die, I may as well add my comment. Right at the beginning of the thread it was stated that the number of moves in SC "dwarfs" the number of moves in VF3tb. I'm not sure I agree. A lot depends on how you define a move, but I believe character by character, on the average, a VF3tb character has approximately as many moves as a Soul Calibur one does. The move count of course varies from character to character. Jacky, Lau and Shun for instance, have a huge number of moves if you count them the way the (outdated for other purposes) Firestarter move lists did (check them out at Harcoregaming.com); Akira and Taka are more limited. Since there are more characters in total in SC than in VF3tb, yes,there are more moves in SC. But a specific VF3tb character can provide great move depth if numbers is the criterion. And if you look at the complexity of learning and using such moves as the SPoD, DLC, Wolf's low drop kick, Lau's 4-hit low kick combo, Kage's Shinsodan and its variants, etc., there is a great deal of move depth available in VF3tb, more I believe than in SC.

Cheers, Imashroom