1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

soul calibur 2 hits japan. how does it affect VF4?

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by akiraattack, Jul 10, 2002.

1. akiraattack

akiraattack Active Member

today I was the lucky one that actually was the first guy that played soul calibur 2 at sega world akihabara. because the sega staff there were just putting the arcade boards in the cabinets. although the game itself looks nice. it is is not much different then soul calibur 1. also I finished the game with my first go. after 7 stages you get the end boss which looks almost the same ast in soul calibur 1. the only difference is, that the boss will change his weapon after he loses about 25 percent of his life. anyway the ending is crap, but that is most of the time with these kind of games. so who cares. about the multiplayer. it is fun, but not as much as I hoped. actually I won my first 9 matches against human opponents, lol, but that is because I used taki and just pressed some buttons. so yes it is very buttonsmash friendly. overall a nice game, but what most surprised me.is that a lot of japanese people did not care at all. even when it was late in the evening. not all of the cabinets where full. but as usual vf4 was. so my guess is that the soul calibur 2 will be fun for a while, but it will not have the lasting effect VF4 has.

talking about VF4 evolution. I have seen a poster of VF4 evo which looks great, with the 2 new charachters infront of it. you can see this poster hanging at ikebukero. maybe some people have already spotted this poster somewhere else too. it really looks awesome!

2. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

YOu can also see this poster on any number of threads here, that were taken from sites that covered SEga's Private Show.
    I liked SCII -- one thing about inferno though. It's hard to tell what the hell he's doing as there's so much fire flying everywhere. Kewl affect.

3. SG-Lion

SG-Lion Well-Known Member

I am a Soul Calibur fan myself... start from Soul Edge... do you play Kilik and Mitsurugi? How does both characters compare to Soul Calibur?

Sg-Lion
    KilikPlayer (my id in www.soulcalibur.com) /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

4. GaijinPunch

I played w/ Taki & Maxi Pad. I didn't play the other games enough to make a good comparison, but the feel of the game seems the same -- heavy action.

I'd say it's more like Star Wars and VF4 is more like a Jacky Chan flick.

5. akiraattack

I played soul calibur 2 today again, but it is a nice game, but it just do not give that feeling that soul calibur 1 had or soul edge when you played that.
    it is still a nice game without a doubt, but just do not expect that you will totally fall in love with it. also the single player experience is far too easy. everybody who can smash buttons will easily finish this game.
    I do had some great battles with some human opponents, but still even when I won it did not give me that ultimate feeling when I defeat someone with vf4. maybe it is because if you just press a few buttons and swing your joystick you get the most crazy moves. also I found one major bug. when I was playing with the nunchaku guy against a human opponent I put him high in the air. then he landed against a wall. and before he felt down I hit him again and again because everytime he was lifted up from the wall. he just did not fell on the ground. actually it was pretty lame to win that round, but you think by yourself, this can not happen. actually he will fall down on the ground, but it just did not happen. very weird. also the camara panned out and in like crazy.

anyway the most crazy thing I did today was swimming in lake okutama-ko. I know it is forbidden, but damn swimming in the river was impossible, because of the thyphoon that just passed tokyo so that is why I used the lake. anyway can somebody explain to me why it is forbidden to swim there? because the only thimg I know it is forbidden is because it is used as a waterreservoir. but looks a little bit strange, because in holland we have lakes where we all swim and still we used it for drinking water. also in lake okutama-ko I saw 2 motorboats crossing and I thought they would do more damage to the water then me. anyway the lake is very nice to swim in. I recommend it to everybody!

6. RIZ

RIZ Well-Known Member

Well I hope to enjoy the game when it comes to my arcade (UP), but I know I will be the only one that really will play. That is no big, I will push the envelope and have people playing the game. So tell me, did you get a chance to play Misturugi? I know he has new moves from his Mist stance(6A+B). Man, I cannot wait.

7. akiraattack

I have not played mitsurigi yet, but I have seen a couple of things from him by other players. actually he is a bit of a let down in this version. he now plays more like a lightweight charachter. I liked him more in soul calibur 1. also his outfit is not that great. I expected more of that. one move I saw that was often used. is that he strikes with both his swordholder and his katana sword at the same time. for the rest there are so many combinations. that is why it is button smash friendly just try to press kick punch at the same time. and while you have done that just press again kick or punch, the most crazy shit will follow up your first move.
    actually I think that is just a part of a let down, average to good players can lose from some one who just press some buttons. I am the example of that. I am sure that a lot of people who were standing behind my back thought, wow that ganjin must be a good player. nope. just luck combined with button smashing haha.

8. GaijinPunch

Dude - I would HIGHLY advise against swimming in anything in Japan (especially near Tokyo) other than a swimming pool. That water is poinsonous. Go to google and lookup words like, "run-off", "polution in Tokyo", and "Blinky the Fish".

9. akiraattack

a lake that is meant to be for drinking water is not poisonous. also a lot of black basses where swimming there. actually I checked google today about the lake, but everything seems to be alright with it. the only thing I have to be afraid of are japanese black bears, black basses that want to bite in your toe or fingers, and maybe some sea monster that is lurking around, or maybe some crodile or piranha that some local has put in, but for the rest the lake is amazing, really a lot of fishes swim around there. and also there is no polution at all. I mean why would they otherwise use this lake in tokyo for water supply?

but thanks for the advice about the other lakes, I will stay away from them for sure! bye the way today is a nice day in tokyo, I just wish I did not have to work /versus/images/icons/frown.gif

10. GaijinPunch

Where is this magical lake? I lived in Shizuoka for a few months about 5 years ago. We were hip to go swimming in a river, and our friends looked at us like we were nuts. I was generally told to stay away from natural water sources for swimming, except for an onsen, which boils the hell out of any bacteria.

Just check out any of the number of rivers in Tokyo -- you can usually smell them a good 200 meters away. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

11. akiraattack

the lake is near OME ( west part of tokyo ) there we always swim in the river, but if you follow the river all the way up then you will get to lake Okutama-ko lake.
    just search on google and you will see the lake is very clean. also the river under normal surcamstances is very, very clean. I mean all locals swim also in that river. just as I said try out the river in ome or the lake it is great and you have an awesome view!