1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Soul calibur 3 Pics and info

Discussion in 'General' started by archangel, Mar 24, 2005.

1. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

Though i'm not a big fan of the game just found some screens and info at this link might be worth a look.

SC3

2. Darrius_Cole

Darrius_Cole Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Darrius-Cole
    XBL:
    Darrius Cole HD
    I don't like that it will be a PS2 exclusive. SC2 doesn't look as good on PS2 as it does on Xbox. Making it exclusively PS2 guarantees a downgrade in graphical quality, something that is extremely important for the SC series.

3. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

It looks like more of the same to me according to those screens, but we'll have to wait and see if it's as bad as SC2.

I think the main reason SC2 got popular was because Tekken 4 was such a huge dissapointment. T5 is out, so things are totally different now.

Maybe the Soul Calibur team should follow the example set by their fellow Namco employees and go back to SC1 style.

4. Raptor1017

Raptor1017 Well-Known Member

Not really sure if this is still the general consensus still, but alot of people are under the believe that those pics and article or either a) fakes or b) wildly inaccurate. Due to the sheer amount of effort put into it, I'm guessing they may actually be real, even though none of those new characters seem at all SC-like. But I do believe the reports of PS only and all that are really, really wrong, esp considering the Gamecube version outsold all others.

Also, regarding going back to SC1 style, coming from someone who loved the series ever since Soul Edge, They didn't change enough in SC2 to actually call it a sequal imo. They need to distance themseles more from that style of play and move on to something new.

Oh well, at least Taki's back.

5. Dandy_J

Dandy_J Well-Known Member

6. RagingSilver

RagingSilver Well-Known Member

I was a fan of SC1 cos it was completly outstanding at the time. Then SC2 came along and I was dissapointed. All it was in my eyes was few new characters, new stages and polished up the SC1 gfx engine. SC3 from that video looks like it's doing the same damn thing. New stages, 3 new chars and polished up the SC2 engine this time. oh and a few more moves per character.

As for the create ur own char, thats gay if u get to use it in Vs mode. Cos if u can give ur guy certain moves and stuff it'll be pretty unfair to a lot but I guess ppl will be smart and not use there custom ppl.

This game ain't impressing me much right now. But I still might end up getting it cos it's the only fighting game along with T5 that my cousins play with me. So I need to practise a lil with it.

7. Painty_J

Painty_J Well-Known Member

I doubt the create-a-character is really going to be that much of an issue: In a tournament, it likely be too much of a hassle to bother with, so you dont have to worry about it in omg2fast2serious gameplay. That brings to playing with friends and with pickup people, and as we all know, games with random people tend to end poorly. I can see the create-a-char mode being pretty fun with friends though, trying to come up with the most flagrantly retarded/overpowered guy, just for the hell of it.

This could be interesting, if they try to even out character strengths so the overpowering matchups aren't so retardedly stacked.

8. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

Like really, it's impossible to play SC when you've played VF, it really is. It's like comparing mcdonalds to fucking caviar.

9. noodalls

noodalls Well-Known Member Bronze Supporter

I assume that for the create a character you'll only be able to choose from certain pre-made moves. IF you could define frame data, it would be pretty interesting (within reason of course).

Funny that in the interview (www.gametrailers.com) the developer mentions that SC2 widen the audience of the game, and then with SC3 he wants to continue that (or words to that effect). Intuition would say that putting it on three formats would be the way to do that, but that could just be me.

10. Darrius_Cole

Darrius_Cole Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Darrius-Cole
    XBL:
    Darrius Cole HD
    Define Frame Data? In Soul Calibur? That would be good. That would also be very un-Soul Calibur-like, as it could get highly complex.

11. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

Did you guys not read the article at all? It clearly says the create a fighter mode is just costume customization. You are not going to be making a new character with original moves. No game company in their right minds is going to put a genuine create a fighter feature in one of their key franchises, especially one as big as soul calibur.

12. KS_Vanessa

KS_Vanessa Well-Known Member

yea i agree. however, if there was a game where you could define characters to a T in good graphics such as SC, and not mugen, man the possibilities would be soooo awesome.
    i could design all the characters from bloodsport and more and then have my van damme clone try to beat them all. come on, if you had that option wouldnt you abuse it?

he he he, i can see my entire kung fu film collection coming alive.............

13. Maximus

Maximus Well-Known Member

I actually like the idea of creating your own character with moves that you want to give them. I mean I don't want that to happen in VF, because it would obviously screw up the love I feel for this game, but that would be a nice additionto some fighters. I had a game for N64, Deadly Arts, that you could do that. You create your guy or girl and then go and fight the characters in the game and then after you defeated them you would have the option to copy some of their moves. Heh, it's kinda funny cause after I was done creating my character he was the toughest in the game and was virtually unbeatable. But I guess that's not very fair since you obviously have an unfair advantage by having all of the characters' best moves, but that would be fun to just play with your friends who also have created their own character.

14. Jeneric

Jeneric Well-Known Member

Hmm, it's strange that they will release it to the PS2, when we're going to be on the brink of a new generation of consoles.

I actually see an opportunity for Sega to rise up here, Tekken 5 was just released and SCIII will be for this gen of consoles, it Sega gets VF5 out early on the next gen consoles they have a chance to knock out Namco for a few rounds and draw a lot of new fans in.

15. KS_Vanessa

KS_Vanessa Well-Known Member

well anything could happen. I for one hope for the day when VF is the established benchmark in 3d fighting games.

16. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

To a certain extent, VF has always been the benchmark for console fighting games. VF4, VF4Evo were both put up in the top spot versus SCII, etc.

VF Reviews have always been excellent, however complete with the caveat that the game is hard to play, even harder to master, and that the casual fighting game fan should continue to enjoy flying sparks and swords rather than the 'mecca' of the genre.

<font color="yellow">.cheers.</font>

17. StilslizeR

StilslizeR New Member

*ehem* *ehem*
    noobie here...:D

I like game SC1,2 and i also like VF4...

i played all the vf series before...but i decided to stop for the meantime playing vf...then i found this game soulcalibur...and i was impress by the gameplay, moves strategy techniques skillz....and what i like most is soulcalibur is also a mind game...and SC is not juggle friendly unlike Tekken...

yep, sc3 is ps2 exclusive only, the producer dont want to do the same thing what they did before...XB and GC is out, and no guest character will be in shown in sc3.

i guess T5 is out again to soulcalibur players...and guess what i'm gonna try playing VF4 FT again... (but dont have time to play, WORK, WORK WORK....)

SC1_2_3, T5, DOA# and VF4FT is the fighting game for me...

18. OffBrandNinja

OffBrandNinja Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    SC is not juggle friendly unlike Tekken

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? What?