1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

special mids: Aoi is screwed and other misc.

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Yupa, Mar 12, 2002.

1. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Just flipping thru the Ver C movelist and Aoi's special mids caught my eye:

df+P
    b,df+P
    ff+P+K
    PPPK

If this is true, Aoi is severely weekend IMO. If you didn't know, special mid attacks do no damage to a crouching defender. They stand the defender up.

df+P can be used as a float launcher and b,df+P creates a stomach KD for low throw or combo opportunity. PPPK and PPPSweep can no longer be mixed up for scrub combo damage.

Other notable special mids:

Akira's FC,f+P
    Shun's QCF+P
    Lau's df+P and bb+P

Lion's b,f+K+G,d+P and b,f+K+G,db+P are also special mid... making the mind game that could be played with the b,f+K+G,d+K useless now.

Wolf's f,d+K is now a special low attack... <shrug>

Wolf's PPP is listed as special mid, but Jeff's PPP is not... <boggle> (Is that a typo?)

Jeff's df+P is not special mid... also strange IMO.
    kbcat, did you miss the special mid levels when you did Jeff's list?

2. kbcat

kbcat Well-Known Member

kbcat, did you miss the special mid levels when you did Jeff's list?

oops... yes... I'll fix it now.

cheers,
    kbcat

3. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    <blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Just flipping thru the Ver C movelist and Aoi's special mids caught my eye:

df+P
    b,df+P
    ff+P+K
    PPPK

If this is true, Aoi is severely weekend IMO.

<hr></blockquote>

As opposed to severely weekday? /versus/images/icons/smile.gif Sorry, couldn't resist! But anyway, I don't entirely agree that she's severly weakened because of the special mids. She was way too abusable in ver B, so I think these adjustments at toning her down balance her out overall.

PPPK and PPPSweep can no longer be mixed up for scrub combo damage.

<hr></blockquote>
    Well, anyone caught crouch guarding after Aoi's PPP thinking they're entirely safe isn't that bright. I think Aoi would prefer you crouch actually, because it opens up more options for her.

4. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Well it was the weekend as far as my work week is concerned... /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif

Well, anyone caught crouch guarding after Aoi's PPP thinking they're entirely safe isn't that bright. I think Aoi would prefer you crouch actually, because it opens up more options for her.

I agree. That's why I added the "scrub" qualification. A good Aoi will take advantage of the fact that another knowledgable player will be crouching after he sees PPP.

5. alucard

alucard Well-Known Member

I think its only fair that its been toned down, its way too abusable in Ver.B. A 13 frame mid attack that is uncounterable(ver.b) and causes a KD on MC just doesn't sound right.

6. Jason Cha

Jason Cha Well-Known Member

"I think its only fair that its been toned down, its way too abusable in Ver.B. A 13 frame mid attack that is uncounterable(ver.b) and causes a KD on MC just doesn't sound right."

Thank god SDE is 14 frames, eh? =)

What can I say, as far as I can tell, you can't play Aoi as if she has really good or safe mids.

-Jason

7. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Thanks.

OK, Jeff's special mids are what I expected.

PPP like Wolf's

df+P
    df+PP
    df+PPP (yep, every hit is special mid)

ff+PP and b+K

8. Jason Cha

Jason Cha Well-Known Member

df+P
    df+PP
    df+PPP (yep, every hit is special mid)

<hr></blockquote>

Can someone test this out but if the d/f+p hits a blocking defender, I believe the second and third uppercuts are guaranteed.

-Jason

9. alucard

alucard Well-Known Member

Well...one frame does make a difference, especially in close-up block/counter situations where either player has a +/- 1-2 frame advantage. Don't forget that the double stop also has high priority Vs punches/high attacks, this makes a difference.

Actually, I was kind of surprised when I realized that the SDE had not been tweaked in ver.C, its a very strong move no doubt.
    Heh...perhaps Am2 didn't want to tweak VF4 so much for fear that some people might start to say things like "VF4 is tweaked to death" or "VF4 is souless". /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

IMO, Ver.C is an improvement over Ver.B in terms of game balance. Most of the cheesy moves have been powered down and more high attacks are now special highs(less emphasis on low punch).

Its just a pity that my local arcades won't be getting it, and we are stuck with crappy old Ver.Bs. /versus/images/icons/frown.gif

10. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

Overall, I think the balance in Ver. C sucks donkeys, mainly b/c Shun was my main character. Quickly went from 4-dan to shodan (GRRRR!!) back up to 3-dan though. Actually, it just takes a while to get used to in the long run. I only started using Aoi after Ver. C's release, so I try not to think about it. :) Shun's the one I'm pissed about.