1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Spider-Man the movie

Discussion in 'General' started by ice-9, May 1, 2002.

1. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Hey guys, taking a short break from my paper.

Got the chance to see this movie on sneak preview last night here in Singapore...don't know if it's out in America yet.

Anyway, the movie is FANTASTIC! Definitely the best comic book adapted movie yet...yes, even better than X-Men. The story in the movie is not at all faithful to the comic book, but I felt the changes were for the better and more suitable for a movie in this present day.

The story and plot is solid and keeps the movie moving along at a brisk pace. The action is great and the web-slinging scenes are breathless. The romance scenes of the movie are a little "eehh" but are at least average. Spider-Man himself looks good and the rendition of the Green Goblin is awesome. The movie also had a few funny parts.

The biggest compliment that I can give the movie is that if some 13-year old watched the movie first, he would like Spider-Man better than had he been introduced via the comics.

One caveat is that my sister and a guy friend who watched it with me didn't like the movie all that much, but I definitely recommend watching it.

2. Mike90210

Mike90210 Well-Known Member

Its gonna be out later this week. I think Ill probably watch it on Sat. You got me all psyched to see it!

3. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Awesome, thanks for the heads up!!!
    Wish you well on your papers and up-comming tests. Congradulations!

4. sayow

sayow Well-Known Member

LA Impressions

Hey, I saw it on Saturday with my wife. I have to agree: the movie is FANTASTIC! While comic book adaptation movie was pretty good, I'm still partial to the X-Men effort. Without a doubt, the story in the movie is not at all faithful to the comic book. Hey, it's Hollywood... I liked the changes, too. They made more sense IMO. Maybe the comic book will take that lead... I know, I'm being cryptic. I don't want to spoil it for anyone yet; it's only been out in the theaters for a few days now. To help you out a little bit, Spider-Man originally appeared in Marvel Comics “Amazing Fantasy #15â€Â, in 1962 courtesy of the great Stan Lee; the movie setting is present day New York.

I wasn't sure that the main actor and actress would pull off the illusion. Thankful, they both performed well. Tobey Maguire is a great Peter Parker. I had serious doubts that Kirsten Dunst could 'be' Mary Jane Watson. She's not the first one I think of as being glamourous and uber-babe-like (eventually) but she did quite well. Willem Dafoe has always been a great villain on screen; his transformation into being the Green Goblin/Norman Osborne is nigh perfect.

Spider-Man has always been one of Marvel Comics' biggest properties. Spider-Man accounted for three-quarters of the receipts for the top 12 films, $153.3 million, according to tracking firm Exhibitor Relations. The total represented a 112 percent leap from last weekend, and a 54 percent jump from the year-ago weekend when The Mummy Returns opened at No. 1 with $68 million. I think my collection just went up a few pennies this weekend... LOL

Side note: the trailer for the Incredible Hulk ROCKED! Summer 2003 will be fun...

5. nycat

nycat Well-Known Member

Re: Spider-Man the movie( caution)

I was ten when the first series of Spiderman appeared in Marvel Comics. The price of a comic book had recently gone up to: 12 cents a copy. The original introduction of <font color=red>Spiderman</font color=red> back in the late Spring / early Summer of 1962 was a dozen pages. The movie stays pretty true to the storyboards of the original by Stan Lee, which is amazing. Thankfully, mention of The Ed Sullivan Show was omitted along with a few other minor changes. Here it is, in all its comic book pre-digi-glory. <a target="_blank" href=http://kits-silver-age-comics.com/af15/15.htm>http://kits-silver-age-comics.com/af15/15.htm</a> Entertaining for anyone from 8 to 50.

6. sayow

sayow Well-Known Member

Thanks, nycat! It was a pleasure to walk down Memory Lane again. But why limit the enjoyment group to ages 8 to 50? LOL j/k

7. nycat

nycat Well-Known Member

8 to 50 .. that was the range of people that seemed to enjoy <font color=red>Spiderman</font color=red> when wifey and I saw it on Sunday. The infant in row three; it cried or slept through the whole thing and I don't think their was anyone older than me in attendance.
    /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

8. alantan

alantan Well-Known Member

Re: LA Impressions

saw it with my GF. IT sucks. sigh... dunno why you people liked it so much. The problem with the show is that there is tooo little action. When I watch a show like spiderman, I want some action, more explosions, etc. I mean it is not sentimental enough to be a love story, not exciting enough to be an action movie, basically I dunno what kind of show it is.

9. Tetra

Tetra Well-Known Member

*see generation gap*
    Alan must had a 51 years old thinking that's why it's not entertaining to him /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

10. mlacen

mlacen Member

it did have alot of love scenes thats for sure but i think it was an awsome movie with plenty of action. If you think about it , the truth is that you will always want more action in movies like that. I felt the same way about Xmen but that doesnt mean it was wack. Remember they had to make it appealing to all types of audiences not just us teenage to early 20 males. well thats my 2 cents

11. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

I like Kirsten Dunst.

12. sayow

sayow Well-Known Member

Making Spider-Man a Movie from a Comic Book...

There's just a lot of foundation to lay before you build a good house, eh? And to do that in less than 2 hours... Spider-Man is still one of Marvel's hottest commodities even without the movie. The makers of the movie obviously knew there would be a very outraged public (i.e. comic collectors) that would berate the movie if proper attention was not paid to Uncle Ben and Aunt May; they are critical Peter Parker's development early on and they are a constant motif that Peter Parker draws upon in the comics version. We're just not going to get a whole lot of action out of too many scenes involving them. But now that he's got a good, strong place to launch from, I think we can expect Spider-Man 2 to be like Indiana Jones 2. IMO IJ2 had too much action. Hang on to your seats, webslingers...