1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

StageGate - NYGX

Discussion in 'General' started by Chief_Flash, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Chief_Flash

Chief_Flash Well-Known Member

XBL:
    T1L ALL AR3 0N3
    upload_2015-8-19_13-47-29.png

I think this warrants a candid discussion...

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  2. Blitzball Champ

Blitzball Champ Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Blitzball_Champ
    XBL:
    Blitzball Champ
    As a spectator, maybe someone can clarify for me. In my history of fighting game tournaments, usually the stage select is RANDOM. I believe that anytime after a match, if the loser wants to change stage, they get confirmation from the winner before doing that. Either that or I thought that it worked the same way with character lock in that only the loser of the match could switch characters. I can see what Chief Flash's point is, my only question is was this specific rule made clear at the beginning of the tournament before it started? If not, then it really is what it is.

Kruza, SDS_Overfiend1 and Chief_Flash like this.
  3. Mold_Monkey93

Mold_Monkey93 Well-Known Member

This is really debatable and depends on the eil or aoi. Eil takes more damage but Eil geta max damage on Aoi as well. Eil has carry specific combos and set ups (ie:me vs B*) I will say one thing, Eil is more favorable in a bigger wall stage like her own, or even a half wall, as the half wall throw does more points.Aoi has two directions of throws to initiate wall combos while Eileen has one. Eil back throw does most damage but can favor forward more. Eil also has carry from side crumple, and side wall crumple. Could have went either way. A smaller wall stage doesn't help either but it gets to the point faster.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
    Kruza and Chief_Flash like this.
  4. Blitzball Champ

PSN:
    Blitzball_Champ
    XBL:
    Blitzball Champ
    Oh wow! That is pretty detailed strategy in order to really warrant a reason to pick a specific stage. Interesting. After all, this isn't like Street Fighter 4 or Guilty Gear.

Chief_Flash likes this.
  5. Craigbot

Craigbot Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Craigbot
    I know when the player loses, he/she either can switch their character and/or stage. Sometimes, the stage selection can either be random or by player's choice. If both players agree to keep the stage, then that's no problem. If there's a conflict, then the judge/referee will step in and decide whether the stage will be locked or changed.

The rules should be set and laid out so all players/referee/commentators will know what is going on and if there are any disputes, look at the rules. If an error is made by one of the players, let them know so the correction can be fixed and move forward with the matches.

Kruza and Chief_Flash like this.
  6. Blitzball Champ

PSN:
    Blitzball_Champ
    XBL:
    Blitzball Champ
    So really, the best solution that could have been done was a do over of the final match by doing RANDOM stage select?

Chief_Flash likes this.
  7. Combolammas

Combolammas Sheep

Loser was allowed to change stage. I do not know whether it was supposed to be random or if rules allowed choosing. No one, including the other player or organizers interfered on the spot however. If it was not ok then it should have been called out then and there. What's done is done.

8. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Unless it's explicitly stated that all stage changes are random in rules beforehand it's absolutely fine. If that is the rules then the game should be set as such so picking change stage after a match picks a new random one, rather than giving the choice.

Different tournaments have different rules. In japan they'll pick a specific stage to blow you up. Over here (UK), it's locked to random, so if you lose and want a change it could be better, worse or exactly the same.

The TO has to decide and manage this. It's also up to both competitors to say. Using the tools available to you is part of tournament craft.

To speak on specifics, the taco stage massively favours Aoi in my opinion. I thought Tricky was suiciding, but he pulled it off. I tip my hat to Tricky. Well played, sir.

9. Craigbot

Craigbot Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Craigbot
    He more liked used the stage to his advantage, thinking Bounty would like it but pull the wool over his eyes. That's being clever and smart!

Chief_Flash likes this.
  10. Libertine

Libertine Well-Known Member Content Manager Brad Silver Supporter Content Coordinator

Tricky chose that stage after a stage had already been chosen! He cheated!

I remember telling Jacko that Tricky chose the worst stage possible to fight Aoi. LOL. I told Tricky afterwards, and he told me that he chose it so he could more easily get wall combos. I still think that the stage was better for Bounty, but Tricky managed to mash for the win.

I wonder what would have happened if the original stage was used...

11. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

TO announced before start of the tournament that stages are allowed to be selected for the loser.

12. IcKY99

IcKY99 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    IcKY99
    XBL:
    IcKYIcKY
    Please dont let this become like the Smash bros babies that want to ban/pick certain stages after losing, if the loser is going to do a stage change, just let it be Random and thats it, how it would be Via the arcade

BlackGeneral and Chief_Flash like this.
  13. Tricky

It is not random at arcade. You pick the stage.

jimi Claymore likes this.
  14. IcKY99

IcKY99 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    IcKY99
    XBL:
    IcKYIcKY
    well either way make it random!

BlackGeneral, Jacko and Chief_Flash like this.
  15. Chief_Flash

XBL:
    T1L ALL AR3 0N3
    Kamais_Ookin and Jacko like this.
  16. Chief_Flash

XBL:
    T1L ALL AR3 0N3
    Commissioner @ShinobiFist discovers new evidence concerning StageGate....

So let me get this straight... @Tricky PAUSED the game after it started and picked stage and @BBountyHuntyr didn't get to say shit. While @tonyfamilia PAUSED the game after it started vs. @BLACKSTAR and Tspam had to forfeit the round.. What is THAT about? nWo hate? @Shang what say you bro?

17. ShinobiFist

ShinobiFist Well-Known Member

So out of all the matches everyone had during the weekend. Tricky's final set was in Arcade Mode? Seriously??? Why not go back to the menus and pick Versus mode. Everyone knows standard tourny rules in the states. So people chiming in about Japan this, Europe that is nice and dandy, but we talking about how is done in are scene for years. If I knew this beforehand that people made their own rules I would have picked Dural because the TO never mentioned it about her being banned. But is common knowledge, smh.

18. Jacko

Jacko Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JackoRCB
    LMFAO StageGate oh man...how I love it.

BlackGeneral and Chief_Flash like this.
  19. Tricky

TO's need to come here and tell folks what the rules were. We are debating facts here like they're opinions. Feels like I'm on Fox News here.

Chief_Flash likes this.
  20. Chief_Flash

XBL:
    T1L ALL AR3 0N3
    Upon reviewing of the tapes, the commissioner found two incidents that occurred that led to the incident now known as, StageGate:

Incident #1
    Team VFDC MOD vs. Team Rodney, where @BLACKSTAR accidentally tripped the wire on his joystick causing a "Disconnect" message to appear on the screen while pausing the game. At this point @BLACKSTAR was instructed by the TO to forfeit the round, and he did so.

Incident #2
    Team VFDC MOD vs. Team nWo, where @tonyfamilia pressed the start button on his joystick resulting pausing the game in progress. At this point @tonyfamilia requested to continue the match, where @BLACKSTAR replied with: " I want the round! I want the round!!". @tonyfamilia then proceeded to self-ro forfeiting the round to @BLACKSTAR.

However in the case during the grand finals of @Tricky vs. @BBountyHuntyr, upon beginning of the round, where random stage select was enabled, @Tricky pressed the start button, returned to stage select and picked the taco stage. These action were done without the prior consent, knowledge nor approval of @BBountyHuntyr.

It is the commissioner's view that @Tricky broke the rules when he stopped the game in progress, and that at minimal @BBountyHuntyr should have given the choice of accepting the forfeiture.

Discuss?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015