1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Stance Abbreviations for Shun

Discussion in 'Shun' started by Ladon, Jan 20, 2007.

1. Ladon

Ladon Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ladon---
    Can I get the opinion of some Shun players on the board regarding Shun's new stance, and more specifically the way it should be abbreviated during discussion (as it's just a tad annoying to type Soukokukyu so much).

So should Soukokukyu and Backturned Soukokukyu be SK and BTSK, respectively? Or should we take the translation/interpretation of it, and abbreviate that just like what was done with Choukarou (Drunken Stance - DS)? Or perhaps we should come up with brand new abbreviations for all of Shun's stuff, based on the Japanese names for the stances?

What's your opinion?

2. durden

durden Member

SK and BTSK sound good to me, what are the current accepted abbreviations for Shun's older stances?

3. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Even though I'm no Shun player, since I'm updating the VF5 command lists then I might chime in with my opinion /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I'm going with the official names as much as possible. So instead of Drunken Stance, it'll be referred to as the Choukarou stance.

For abbreviations, you might want to consider just taking the first two or three letters, for example:

SOU = Soukokukyu
    CHO = Choukarou

etc

The official names get used in the home versions, so I think some commonality might be good. Especially if people are trying to search on stance names and don't know our ghetto terms. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

4. Ladon

Ladon Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ladon---
    We might have to go with the official names if only because there's no way to come up with a translation for Soukokukyu that's universal (Lying Down and Handstand were pretty obvious, Drunken Stance was a bit of a stretch, but now this one?).

After we come to a conclusion I'll update the first post of the thread so that newcomers can instantly see what our shortcuts will be (and have been, so they're not confused when looking at Evo stuff).

What do you guys think of that? Also, does anyone know the Engilsh translation for Zapantetsu, Choukarou, and all the other stances?

5. raoul

raoul Well-Known Member

Zabantetsu
    Not a real word, but... it means [sit][board/plate][slip]

Tentouritsu
    Combination of fall/stumble (tentou) and stand (ritsu)

Oushin
    So the same kanji are normally read yokone (still not a common word though), but oushin is VF only... It just means lying [on one's] side

Choukarou and Soukokukyuu/Soukokkyuu/Soukokushuu
    It turns out these are the names of two of the "eight immortals" in chinese mythology... The romanized versions of the Chinese are "Zhang Guo Lao" and "Cao Guojiu"

My vote for abbreviations:

ZA
    TEN
    OU
    CHOU
    SOU (and BT SOU)

The main reason is that ZBT and TDR are not intuitive to me whatsoever... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif