1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Standing PPP Mixups

Discussion in 'El Blaze' started by ShinobiFist, Dec 9, 2008.

1. ShinobiFist

ShinobiFist Well-Known Member

Standing PPP is a great tool for El Blaze, the mix-ups are just endless. What's great is the fact that all three hits are guarantee. Here are a few examples to considered.

PPP->3P(You assume they're going to duck)

PPP->8P+K(You assume they're going to duck)

PPP->9P+K(You assume they'r going to duck*Note, depending on the opponents low attack, you may end up behind them, and your opponent will be open for a low back throw)

PPP-> PPP(You assume they're going to attack Mid)

PPP->DMP+K(You assume they're going to attack, duck, OM or Sidestep)

PPP->P+K+G->K or P(You assume they're going to Punch High)

PPP->2K+G(You assume they're going to attack High, Sidestep or OM)

PPP->1K+G(You assume they're going to attack High or Mid*Note this varies towards certain characters on Mids)

That's all for now, if anyone has anything to add, please post. BTW, special shout out goes out to CIDKID and SDS Overfiend for the tips on El Blaze through out the year, especially CIDKID.

2. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    Afaik Blaze is -4 after normal hit PPP.

3. erdraug

erdraug Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

XBL:
    erdraug
    And these seem to be his reverse nitaku options to keep pressuring. But let's not argue over semantics, this is a great list /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

4. ShinobiFist

You make it sound like is a bad thing, lol. One thing I forgot was crouch dash into volcano knee, or throw. I only go for it if I think my opponent is going to sidestep, or attack high(For Volcano Knee)

5. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

Eh, throwing when you're at -4?!

6. erdraug

XBL:
    erdraug
    Why not, i've you think your oppoenent will freeze up expecting the last kick of the string - even better when you've trained him to do so /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

7. KiwE

KiwE Well-Known Member

The problem as I see it is that PPPK is four highs in a row and K in that string isn't special high. I know you mean on hit but it hinders a lot. I still see what you're saying but shrugging of -4 isn't really easy as it hinders a lot. You can't PPP(normalhit)>PPP away a mid here up to 15frames cause of it.

If your opponent knows, and understands this, basicly not a single thing you wrote will work against an elbow back exept DM P+K. DM P+K isn't really a unique situation here though, everytime you're in diss you have the option to use this against a linear attack back right? For the opponent to do SS or OM here @+4 seems very odd to me. I think you're putting a lot of credit into the fact that people freeze up and/or are afraid of PPPK (the final kick). As such 2p will probably come a lot and then 8p+k is probably the shizzniz etc. I guess a lot of this works better ingame then on paper.

Edit: What about backdash, eteg and boxstepping?

8. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    I actually wrote a post saying this, but then deleted it thinking Im bashing new writers too much..

9. tonyfamilia

tonyfamilia Well-Known Member

Not to put anybody here down but what you guys are talking about is theory fighter. In real fights, CidKid has shown just how effective PPP is and using some of the mixups that ShinobiFist posted.
    And I'm not talking about he used it only against scrubs either, I'm talking about really good players.

El Blaze's PPP is better in the heat of battle than frame data can ever describe. Not saying it's unbeatable, it's just stronger than a lot of people give it credit for.

I remember at NYG7 KoD and some other guys were testing out different ways of dealing with it. NTMTCM but I don't think they would have gone into Dojo mode to test it if it wasn't as effective in application as CidKid clearly displayed.

10. Slide

Slide Well-Known Member

Agreed.

This is an issue, and why people that know stuff don't post it or are very hesitant to do it. Cause people paper fight, and stupid arguments break out. Players that have knowledge don't need to post, if everytime they do they got to defend themselves all the time.

Notice how certain character specific sections are bare, with no juicy stuff.

11. _Denkai_

_Denkai_ Well-Known Member

Yes PPP is -4 but a wise player will toss out that K from time to time and it hurts on counter hit. You'll be a fool to attack every time ppp connects and a low attack isn't wise to use in that situation simply because El blaze K will jump over a low attack and you are at risk of getting hit with 8 P+K. It's a great guessing game for El blaze

12. KoD

KoD Well-Known Member

PSN:
    codiak
    Bounce combos from interrupting the K or 8P+K hurt blaze a lot more than he hurts the opponent by doing the K without delay.

Big reason it works (and yeah, like tony & etc said, obviously it does work) is cause people aren't taking advantage when blaze is floating in the air.

13. _Denkai_

The K should never really be delayed to begin with. People that take advantage of the -4 disadvantage jabs or grabs the moment they get hit with PPP and the K will always hit those players. Most players will P again or 3p as a delayed attack

14. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

So smack him out of the air and fuzzy guard pretty much beats all the options listed in the OP, awesome.

15. _Denkai_

Which 1p beats both of, which is something blazes do alot when PPP connects. Of course you will say "but a mid will beat that!" and yea it would but you see that's the point the guessing game is very powerful for a blaze to keep the pressure on all the time.

16. erdraug

XBL:
    erdraug
    So essentially we're searching for high crush moves that are NOT lows, so the last kick won't jump over them, right? But something with an easy input, which could be done on reaction mid string?

I like lists, can we make a list?

17. ShinobiFist

Thanks to the people who actually play the game that posted, thank you. Before going into NYG7, I was going to Konjou house to play VF with the BEST players in the city, if not the Country. Playing CIDKID and Konjou's roomate for at least 8hrs of marathon matches on night made realise how useful PPP was, especially on counter hit.

I got to use that flow chart I posted against alot of people in NYG7 to effective use. I remember sharing this tactics with Air Jacky, 75, Cozby, VFnumbers, KoD and others. PPP has to be use like boxer, once it lands, wait, then decide what your going to do, then BAM! You pop them in the mouth.

People mention, "I'll do this, if he do that" guess what, if I think your going to do a non-linear attack, I'll side-step and hit you with a 3K to crumble you...We all could play this game of "Theory Fighter 5: Paper Champion Editon"

But apparently, CIDKID, Denkai, Konjou, Adam, DaBadSeed and SDS are a bunch of scrubs for telling me how to use those tatics and improving my game, lol.

18. ShinobiFist

Fuzzy Guard, and I'll low throw you, AWESOME! Did you read the OP? I guess not, it says "assume" next to all the options I listed. First of all, this a flow chart, not guarantee chart. A great deal of guessing goes into all those setups. I could delay the majority of the attacks, and maybe beat your attack or not. But, again, like I said, is a very effective flow chart.

19. KoD

KoD Well-Known Member

PSN:
    codiak
    What does counter hit PPP have to do with it? If you're just tapping PPP and then guessing, all counter hit on the first hit does is give you like 6 points more damage.

About the whole theory fighter vs living the real life on the streets stuff . . .

"PPP is great" crowd: do you agree that when you use it as a guaranteed punisher instead of PK, all you're doing is trading a couple of points of damage for -4 and some (limited, different) options. Is PPPK without delay really better than, i dunno, PK46P+K crumple?

"Theory fighter" crowd needs to realize that it does work. String followups let you get away with all kinds of nonsense against people who hesitate because of 20 points of damage (i'm including myself here, and i'd much rather play cidkid's leifei than his blaze).

20. Slide

Slide Well-Known Member

I'm not a Blaze player and won't act like I am, but I am a part of the "PPP is great" crowd.

I personally say use both, mix them, sometimes guarantee with PK sometimes guarantee with PPP. So with my opinion, take what you want.

Coming from a Sarah players mindset, always going for the better or best option can sometimes make it not so "better" or even best, anymore.

Unless it's a significantly stronger damaging guarantee of course.