1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Starting out with Goh #6- Goh vs. Goh

Discussion in 'Goh' started by Modelah, May 6, 2014.

1. Modelah

Modelah Well-Known Member VFDC Translator Content Manager Taka

PSN:
    Modelah
    Note: This post is the sixth of seven written by Midi and translated by Modelah.

Midi's VF5FS Beginner's Blog post

1. How complete beginners can win! (part 1)
    2. How complete beginners can win! (part 2)
    3. Sabaki moves
    Sideturned
    5. Ringouts
    6. Goh vs. Goh
    7. The Wall Game

6. Goh versus Goh

These are casual matches before the Central Hachiōji 5 on 5 tournament.

(1P- Midi versus 2P- Shenron)

There are a few noteworthy points worth mentioning from the video, in particular the potential strength of [6][6][P][+][G] and the Tsukamigaeshi throw sabaki, which becomes a terrifying prospect as you'll see!

I think Shenron's use of [6][6][P][+][G] will be great for beginners to check out. Note how it eats evades and backdash abare.

He's also really good at the throw-sabaki Tsukamigaeshi ([P][+][K][+][G] against throws), which makes life difficult when at -10f after he guards my [3][K][P]. Being able to do throw sabakis can make a huge difference, I recommend you practice this well!

Below are some points from the video I need to reflect upon, these notes will also serve as a (very) brief anti-Goh strategy (intermediate player level).

・This doesn't just apply to matches against Goh but experienced players will employ a lot of fuzzy guarding. You really have use your crouch throws here. Goh players tend to fuzzy after [6][P], [6][6][P], [K]against side, and after they guard. They may also try to fuzzy after your [4][6][K] and [2][K][+][G] on normal hit, and [4][6][K] and [P][K] on counter hit so look to use your crouch throws after those, too. Of course, if they try to abare look to counter hit them with an attack.

・When at +10f, looking to hit a Tsukamigaeshi throw sabaki off [4][K] or [K][+][G] is a valid tactic, but also using [6][6][P][+][G] here is a strong choice as it will also take care of evades (though it will lose to [P] and [2][P]). The most important thing here is to try to get a read on your opponents habits and act accordingly.

・More [4][6][K] abare with Goh's knee and a throw is good, but again, [6][6][P][+][G] is a strong option! A [4][4][P] counter hit will only register as a normal hit and [4][K]'s hit throw won't work so I think it has a place here.

・I ate a lot of fully-charged [4][P][+][K]s in that video when I should've evaded or sabakied them. I wasn't tech-recovering well after [4][6][P][+][K][P][P] either, I guess I was really feeling the pressure!

・I've started using [1][K] a lot recently but need to practice my normal/counter hitchecking, the same goes for my [2][K][+][G] and [6][6][P].

From the author
    Well, I hope this post was a nice change of pace for you guys! Please check out the video, hopefully you'll see some other cool ways to play him!

Midi

Additional posts- These follow the main post (edited)
    No. 169
    Whenever I knock my opponent down I tend to backdash away because I don't want to get hit by wakeup attacks. I also try to distance myself and go for [3][K][P] for oki, is this the right thing to do? I'm not sure how to do okizeme properly. Most of the time I just let them get back up and everything resets to zero. In your video I noticed you guys were much more aggressive, can you give me some pointers, please?
    -Ess​

No. 172
    Backing away after a knockdown is actually a good strategy, sometimes. If you can time it right you can bait your opponent into trying a wakeup kick, backdash away, and then punish them when they whiff. This approach has little risk for great damage returns. However, if you're too far away they won't do a wakeup attack (though I've seen advanced players do it from force of habit sometimes, tsk tsk tsk).

Reasons to get in close after a knockdown:
    1. On hit a wakeup kick doesn't do a lot of damage, and if you guard it you'll have a large frame advantage
    2. You are confident you can guard against a wakeup kick
    3. There are guaranteed ways to punish opponents who recover by rolling back and try a wakeup kick​

1. On normal hit a wakeup kick's damage is low, and the disadvantage small (-3f). On guard you'll be at +6 so it's often worth shouldering the risk and trying to guard one.

2. Once you get used to the game, you can often tell by looking if your opponent will try a mid or low wakeup kick. When you can read your opponent, your guard success rate will improve. The frame advantage on guarding a wakeup kick is large so that's why we go for pressure on oki.

3. A guarded wakeup kick after a back roll recovery gives you an advantage of +15 frames. Guarding a mid wakeup kick will guarantee [4][6][P], guarding a low will guarantee [6][P], [3][P][P] and low throws. That's the good news, the bad news is that it's very difficult to tell which kick they will use.

I hope this helps. Of course, everything depends on how much health you have left, your opponent's habits, ring positioning and so on.
    -Midi​

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  2. Cozby

Cozby OMG Custom Title! W00T!

PSN:
    CozzyHendrixx
    XBL:
    Stn Cozby
    For a low -15 punisher, 3pp is definitely the way to go.

Off topic: I'd op to use 6pk with Sarah, but there's some low rising kicks where it'll whiff, so I use 7k instead

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  3. DK

DK Well-Known Member Content Manager Jean

@Modelah Do you know what the name of the twitch channel is?

4. Modelah

Modelah Well-Known Member VFDC Translator Content Manager Taka

PSN:
    Modelah