1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Starting out with Goh #7- The Wall Game

Discussion in 'Goh' started by Modelah, May 6, 2014.

1. Modelah

Modelah Well-Known Member VFDC Translator Content Manager Taka

PSN:
    Modelah
    Note: This post is the last of seven written by Midi and translated by Modelah.

Midi's VF5FS Beginner's Blog post

1. How complete beginners can win! (part 1)
    2. How complete beginners can win! (part 2)
    3. Sabaki moves
    Sideturned
    5. Ringouts
    6. Goh vs. Goh
    7. The Wall Game

7. The Wall Game

Here's how to set up your wall game, and some damaging combos you can do with them. There are 3 advantages to having walls:
    1. You can follow up a wall hit for extra damage
    2. You can attempt a powerful wall-throw
    3. You can go for combos that are only possible with a wall​

These are great when your opponent is against a wall but if the situation is reversed and you find yourself cornered, the risks are just as great. Always be aware of your position in the arena.

1. Follow up a wall hit for extra damage
    Opponents will be unable to avoid follow-up hits if the last attack of your combo hits them into a wall. With Goh, a common combo for this is the last hit of the [4][6][P][+][K][P][6][P] string:
    1. [4][6][P], [P], [4][6][P][+][K][P][6][P](wall hit), [3][3][P][+][K]
    2. [3][K][P](CH or crouch hit), [P], [4][6][P][+][K][P][6][P](wall hit), [3][3][P][+][K]
    3. [1][P][+][K] or [4][P][+][K], [P], [4][6][P][+][K][P][6][P](wall hit), [3][3][P][+][K]
    4. [6][6][P][+][G], [P], [4][6][P][+][K][P][6][P](wall hit), [3][3][P][+][K]
    5. [3][P][P](wall hit), [3][3][P][+][K]
    etc.​

As you can see, [3][3][P][+][K] is a common follow-up attack after a wall hit. If that's too hard a simple [K] will suffice, but I recommend practicing the former. It's a very simple follow-up but guarantees extra damage.

2. Attempt a powerful wall-throw
    Goh has 2 special wall throws (and another for half-fences: [2_][6][P][+][G]). When the opponent's back is near a wall:
    [4][6][P][+][G] and [6][4][P][+][G]- Damaging throws with simple commands. When used for nitaku pressure these can be very powerful. When near the wall try to hit a wall-combo starter or throw for a nitaku wall game!

3. Go for combos that are only possible with a wall
    When a wall is directly behind an opponent:
    [6][P][+][K]- This is your main wall-combo starter. Hitting this pushes your opponent back into the wall, putting them into a wall stagger, following with [3][3][P][+][K] will wall splat them. From there you can start your wall-combo.
    Combos:
    [6][P][+][K](wall hit), [3][3][P][+][K](wall splat), [4][P][+][K], [9][P][+][K], [4][K], [3][P][P]
    You can also start the whole combo off a counter hit knee!
    [6][K](CH), [6][P][+][K](wall hit), [3][3][P][+][K](wall splat), [4][P][+][K], [9][P][+][K], [4][K], [3][P][P]
    You can also wall-combo with [6][K](CH), [3][K][P] combos but I recommend practicing the above. They look very cool and do a lot of damage, too.

Note that depending on the distance from the wall after [6][P][+][K] hits, the opponent has a chance to struggle out of the wall stagger, but many beginners won't be able to. For players who can struggle out of the stagger use [6][K](CH), [3][K][P] combos instead.

[6][6][P]- A half-circular mid. It's slow but leaves you with only a small disadvantage on guard so don't be shy using it when near a wall. On counter hit this will sideturn the opponent and guarantee [2][P]. This will put them into a wall stagger giving you chance to combo them.
    Combo:
    [6][6][P](CH), [2][P](wall stagger), [2_][3][P][+][K], [4][P][+][K], [9][P][+][K], [4][K], [3][P][P]
    Note that some characters can use Airborne attacks to get out of this even after they are counter hit (see below).​

[2]/[8][K][+][G]- Slow but allows you to attack to either your stomach or back-facing side. When you are both parallel to the wall this will give a wall hit and a combo opportunity. Most opponents won't be expecting you to try a low attack, so you can often catch them by surprise.
    Combo:
    [2]/[8][K][+][G](wall hit), [4][6][P], [P], [4][6][P][+][K][P][6][P]
    Note: On counter hit the opponent can recover, if they recover fast enough this combo won't work on them.​

And that's it for Goh's wall game. Try to hit [6][P][+][K] and [2]/[8][K][+][G] etc. for starters. If they guard, throw them! If they try to evade, throw them! Remember, [6][6][P][+][G] is a great move to use.

Wall Q and A with Midi
    Q. Why are there 2 different inputs for the shoulder; [3][3][P][+][K] and [2_][3][P][+][K]? 
    A. This is a unique property of this move and others that are usually performed from a crouching state; while standing you can perform the same move with [3][3] plus the attack button input. From a crouch the direction input is [2_][3] plus the attack button input.

Q. What does CH and crouch hit mean?
    A. CH is a counter hit, a crouch hit is when your attack hits a crouching opponent. NH is a normal hit.

Q. Even after my [6][6][P] the opponent guards my [2][P]. 
    A. If your [2][P] is late it won't connect. At first, hit check [6][6][P] is hard so just try to buffer your [2][P] after you execute it.

Q. Even after my [6][6][P] the opponent's attack beats my [2][P].
    A. [2][P] isn't guaranteed against Goh's [9][P][+][K], Eileen's [9][P] and Brad's [9][P][+][K] among others. Try to hit a sideturned [K]CH instead.

Q. My [6][P][+][K] and [2]/[8][K][+][G] attacks get evaded! 
    A. Then start using [6][6][P][+][G]. From there, [4][6][P][+][K][P][6][P](wall hit), [3][3][P][+][K] is very strong. 

Q. The opponent never seems to up against the wall or parallel to it so neither [6][P][+][K] nor [2]/[8][K][+][G] will work.
    A. Think of which direction to evade to, or OM when you have a chance to position yourself in the ring. 

Goh's wall game video! (Japanese)

From the author
    Practicing against the CPU is definitely useful for real matches! Wall combos are a lot of fun, the ones listed here are an example, experiment for yourself to see what you can come up with!

Midi

Additional posts- These follow the main post (edited)
    No. 180
    I'm having trouble with opponents who evade a lot!
    -Ess
    No. 181
    Throw those pesky evaders! If you get hit by something it just means you read them wrong, try to put it out of your mind and go on to the next stage of the match.
    -Midi
    No. 182
    By the way, Shun, Lion and Akira are giving me real headaches! When they pressure me my defense crumbles and the round is over before I know it. I know my evading skills are not that great, but...
    -Ess
    No. 183
    Shun, Lion and Akira... They give me lots of trouble too! Sometime I hope to put together a guide on how to deal with the cast, stay tuned.
    -Midi​

Last edited: May 15, 2014