1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Stepping?

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by Slide, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Slide

Slide Well-Known Member

I'm trying to improve my stepping game

Take a look at these two videos, to get an example of what I'm talking about:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0GWeZpwzFvI"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0GWeZpwzFvI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

^that's what I'm trying to get to. It's hard, it's harder than alot of other techniques and commands. I'm only somewhat consistent on one side.

Here's another video:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ev93aKexCyw"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ev93aKexCyw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

I think getting all different kinds of stepping techniques down will help my mid range game alot. So far, either my opponent tries to move as fast as I am, or they completely freeze up(that opens up alot of mix ups now). They never know when they can catch you again if you're playing so nimble like that.

Are there any shortcuts, or does someone have a notation that helps buffer?

I know in the 2nd video everyone calls it the "Minami Step", what are the names for other ones(in VF) and does anyone have any examples? I know another one called Box Step.

Videos I've seen of alot of players in the West(and have played on xbl etc) don't step at all. Is it not really necessary in VF5?

2. KrsJin

KrsJin Well-Known Member

From what I know and have read, it's less beneficial in 5, but seems to definitely help. If anything, it seems like a good way to keep momentum, create confusion (against better players), and help keep your focus. Outside of the technical benefits. Like the Minami step isn't the same anymore, for better or worse. Looked sick as hell that's for sure lol.

I'm no pro at it, but to help my movement, I just force myself to do needless motions, until the steps feel comfortable or I can perform them without thinking. I especially do it after rounds if my pace feels off or want to try learning new patterns. I think practicing dashes after evades are good for many reasons, so I'd recommend a /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif~ /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif type motion to practice.

I think I just posted to hear my own thoughts lol. Someone who knows what they're talking about will come along and help us haha.

3. Slide

Slide Well-Known Member

Dashes after failed evades is something I do quite often before I've tried to up my stepping game. However, the stepping Edomaru and that Akira player were doing was insane, and I've been trying it out in matches and you straight evade moves and freeze your opponent up. If you can get something like that down, I think it could be quite rewarding.

Adding this stepping to my game has sped my Sarah up alot.

I think I've found a sort of shortcut to getting this down.

Basically you dash or backdash and do a quick quarter circle motion starting from 2 or 8 motioning to 4 or 6, then tap 4 or 6 again and it will dash again, and you repeat it.

So for example, using the one I've been trying to get down the most is this:

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif - /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/ub.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif - /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif - /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/ub.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif repeat.

4. Aoimaster

Aoimaster Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who adds jumping to stepping? I find it beneficial with the crouching back dash. Helps me setup after clashes, more risk than reward.

5. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    I havent done much research on VF5 stepping, but if you ask me, its more useful now due to VF5s weird hitboxes (its easier avoiding stuff) but I think theres also a caveat in the VF5 increased delay of /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif-canceled crouchdashes and dashes (Im not certain how it was in VF4 so if some knowledgeable vet can enlighten us it would be cool). So if you want to do stepping now its best be done without utilizing G-button much I think.

I admit I havent been stepping nearly as much as I used to in VF4 and I know the reason. Its because I DON'T HAVE A SANWA STICK! Hopefully I can remedy this soon.

6. Aoimaster

Aoimaster Well-Known Member

No sanwa stick=FAIL!!! Seriouly though, when I switched over from using Hori crap. I literally improved 100%. Wondered why my fastest inputs were getting mangled.

7. Slide

Slide Well-Known Member

Actually I use jumping quite a bit, jumping K. On counter hits I can get a pretty good damaging combo off of it so it's worth doing every once and awhile.

Oh so there's G cancels in the stepping? Do you think that there's G canceling going on in the first video?

I've got a custom sanwa being made I can't wait till that's finished, all of this will be much easier then.

8. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

Dai Bison moves around like that on me and I have no clue what he's doing, lol. I'd really like to know what you have to input to move like that too, i've tried it numerous times but my fingers fail me.

9. Stiff

Stiff Well-Known Member

Isn't it dash cancelling Evades and guard cancelling dashes?

Whatever it is I can't do it. Dashing back and forward is hard enough for me! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif One day though...

10. Jide

Jide The Super Shinobi Silver Supporter

PSN:
    Blatant
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif. Alternate with forward or back and Up or down.

While stepping is a neat tool some top players don't even use it. Play with your own style or try and create your own step!

11. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

dashing is generally a faster / more precise way of moving, it can close or widen the time frame and distance of your movement so i think it's good for:

A) spacing yourself
    B) closing down an opponent
    C) defense

VF5 dashing rule:
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif ---> cancels with /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif / /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif//forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif / /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif / /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif / attack
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif --> cancels with /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif//forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif / attack
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif --> cancels with /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif / /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif / /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif / attack
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif --> cancels with /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif / attack
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif//forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif --> cancels with /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif / /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif / /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif / /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif

these are the explanations of my reasons.

A) spacing:

in VF4, it used to be /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif - repeat
    but now it's changed to /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif//forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif - /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif//forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif - repeat, sometimes backwards walk depending on the character can get you the distance you need pretty effectivley.

B) closing down the opponent:

for example, you knock down your opponent and dash with /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif, however depending on which way they techrolled, you can close them down better with /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif//forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif and attack much sooner giving them less room to act apon, also /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif from a crouch position is a good offensive / defensive move to advance forward while staying safe from a low to high motion. usually it's good during an opponent's string or catch throw game like sarah's flamingo. it's aim is to keep you between low and high for longer while you generally dont stay at either for too long.

C) defense:

well, any dash that cancels with /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif makes a good defense, for example you can cut off your movement at any time and guard an attack. or you can guard while moving. i like to stay from low to high with /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gifetc getting as many /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gifs as possible while going low and high, it's good when im outside of nitaku range so it's harder to be closed down.

some other stuff are like box step:

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif--/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif//forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif--/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif for when you want to kill more birds with one stone by backdashing a short move, evading a long linear and guarding a delayed attack.

have funĀ¬

12. Slide

Slide Well-Known Member

Nitaku range?

Oh and thanks for explaining what box stepping is mainly used for, I knew what it was and what it looked like, but had no idea of it's purpose though.

13. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

nitaku range is when you cant use a movement to avoid a throw, for example -6 onwards becomes static defense like ETEG.

14. KoD

KoD Well-Known Member

PSN:
    codiak
    I'm still a little confused by what you're saying, BK__. When you say "nitaku range", do you actually mean "within reach of opponent's throw" or "-7 frames to -11 frames"?

Cause there's all kinds of stuff that's -7 or worse but is not throwable because of distance.

15. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm still a little confused by what you're saying, BK__. When you say "nitaku range", do you actually mean "within reach of opponent's throw"</div></div>

yes-- as that is what creates nitaku /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

if i can nolonger move outside of throw range in any shape or form, then stepping wont help me.

16. KoD

KoD Well-Known Member

PSN:
    codiak
    Ok . . . so then why mention

" -6 onwards becomes static defense like ETEG "

(which is inaccurate, btw), since it has absolutely nothing to do with range?

17. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

the general rule of nitaku is still within -6 (or -7 if i include fuzzy guard as you rightly mentioned, but infact breaks nitaku as it did in Vf4). situations that are out of throw range are acceptions which has also been there since VF4.

18. LM_Akira

LM_Akira Well-Known Member

Just to point out, that is in fact Minami Akira in the second vid, highlighting his crazy stepping style in Evo. There was a Korean player called Dongpal/Dongpil? Akira who had a very similar style and nice stepping.

Evo stepping no longer works in VF5 as it did, so I don't think it's possible to "Minami step" anymore, BK has listed some of the details as to why.

I'm trying to find Maddy's old thread on Minami stepping but can't seem to find it...

19. Slide

Slide Well-Known Member

My stepping has really really helped my game out.

I've become a kind of hard target.

Basically it's allowing me to setup crumple kicks at the proper ranges, and it's got my opponents looking like they shadowboxing.

20. Chief_Flash

Chief_Flash Well-Known Member

XBL:
    T1L ALL AR3 0N3
    in vf5, nitaku starts at +-7 adv/disadv. you can avoid throws at -6 without attacking. not sure what you're referring to here...i may be reading it incorrectly?