1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Stepping?

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by Slide, Feb 16, 2008.

1. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

nitaku as i technically understand it is when you cant move from a throw by using /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif or /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif//forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif. meaning you (in it's basic form)guess between throw or attack. this state begins at -6.

what you are referring to at -7 which ive already covered is that crouch dash (fuzzy guard) breaks nitaku by 1 frame to defeat both reactions as it did in vf4.

you are right if you tell me you can move from a throw up to -7, but it's not where nitaku begins as i understand it.

2. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    BK, I think you're introducing uneccessary complexity ("break nitaku by 1 frame... what?) in your definitions which is causing some confusion.

I think it's generally agreed, accepted, and a fact that true nitaku begins at -7.

At -6 you can still crouch under a throw. The mechanism for how you crouch in time (the crouch dash) is just an implementation detail.

Talking about back dashing to avoid a nitaku situation (because you're out of range), while an interesting topic, is kind of off-topic for this thread, isn't it?

Anyway, I'm /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif ~ /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif ~ /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif outta here.

3. Chief_Flash

Chief_Flash Well-Known Member

XBL:
    T1L ALL AR3 0N3
    but if you /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif at -6, the opponent's throw will whiff and their attack will be blocked! why would you think of backdashing or ducking if you KNOW ur at -6??? NITAKU is japanese for "two choice."

SEE? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

4. KoD

KoD Well-Known Member

PSN:
    codiak
    Depending on the pushback / range of a given move, stepping (backdash ~ evade) at -6 can get you away from mid, throw, lowthrow, and lowpunch; whereas fuzzy guard will lose to the last two options.

(I'm biting my tongue on the "vf4 fuzzy guard breaks nitaku also" claim; both sides of that argument have been done to death in other threads)

5. Jeneric

Jeneric Well-Known Member

Sometimes you can't backdash throws even at -3...

6. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

fuzzy guard was a discovery to beat the choice game of Nitaku and replace ETEG.

-Nitaku is not fuzzy guard.

-Nitaku starts at -6

there's a clear cut explanation. nobody denied that you can [edit: crouch dash ] a throw at -6, but for gwwwwad daayng dar-n-tootns sake i merely sectioned the definition. can we stop beating the dead horse?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    Talking about back dashing to avoid a nitaku situation (because you're out of range), while an interesting topic, is kind of off-topic for this thread, isn't it?
    </div></div>

not that i even brought the subject up, but just to clarify again, that the issue has been there since VF4 for example wolf's df+k which could be distanced to avoid throw range.

but if we are talking about backdash/evade over backwards crouchdash then im puzzled.

7. Fulan

Fulan Well-Known Member

f you can cd fuzzy guard at -6 then it is not yet a guessing game between mid or throw, wich i believe is the definition of nitaku.

?

8. vftwain

vftwain Member

teah true nitaku begins at -7,,,anything lower than that its just mindgames and properties of moves that you can use for you advantage....this may be confusing..

9. vftwain

vftwain Member

whoa now i understand BK is talking about range at -7 you can be out of range of a throw in which ther is no nitaku. While examining frames you also have to examine spacing other variables.

10. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

thank you so much I've had my eyes opened up to YET another technique that I had no idea about Thank you again!

11. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    woops, just saw the horse twitch again....

Who is saying it is fuzzy guard? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">-Nitaku starts at -6

... nobody denied that you can duck a throw at -6</div></div>
    If you can duck the throw at -6, then how is this a nitaku situation?

Contradiction FTW!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

12. Tricky

I can't get that to work me. What's the timing on that?

13. Stl_Tim

Stl_Tim Well-Known Member

<u>It dosen't work like that.</u>

The old vf4 step was /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif_/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif is to reset from crouch to rinse and repeat. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif is added at the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif as a fuzzy or with modified moves such as akira's /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif(Doublepalm).

In vf5 I have been shown the true step is:
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif_/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif_/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif. It seems to work smoother, but what a waste of time and effort. If it isn't preformed this way it looks as if a failed evade is taken place.

FORGET STEPPING &
    FOCUS ON FUNDAMENTALS!

Peace^-^

14. Slide

Slide Well-Known Member

Hey guys the notation i did right there was just to illustrate a smooth way of doing it. Like rolling the stick from up or down, to back or forward and tapping back or forward again all in a fast motion.

Either way I stopped using that, and skipped all ways of shortcutting it.

Kaminari:

Haha forget stepping?? It's worked alot for me and keeps Sarah out of alot of trouble in certain points. It's to where I'll be doing it to some people, and then they start trying it too while playing. It's a big part of my low strikes, the reach on 2K+G man, the reach. EDIT: Dammit, is it really not worth it???

On a side note, speaking of fundamentals...

yoooo I got a Step Stance set up you gotta see, also, NORI438 posted a new video on youtube that shows some serious use of K+G and a Step Stance crumple with it(which actually led me to finding out this other Step Stance set up I'll show you next time).

15. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    does /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/ub.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/n.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif result in an evade~back dash?

Also, you can't get an evade without returning to neutral after the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif input! I think you'll ARM instead.

The input should probably be:

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/n.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/n.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif

Maybe you think you're doing a rolling motion from up to back, but you're really hitting the neutral before the first back input?

Perhaps we should get KoD to test some stepping input patterns.

16. Slide

Slide Well-Known Member

I think that's exactly what it was.

Haha I thought I was doing that, and I think THAT is why I was screwing it up too much. When I stopped I became more consistent. or something. Yeah, I thought that's what I was doing when I did it right, but then I figured it out.

17. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">-Nitaku starts at -6

... nobody denied that you can duck a throw at -6</div></div>
    If you can duck the throw at -6, then how is this a nitaku situation?

Contradiction FTW!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif </div></div>

post edited~

horse was burned alive and used for soup

18. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

Stepping is for girls, and girls have cooties. Why else would you wiggle the stick so fast?

<s>Stepping is really only useful for distance control and baiting at mid to long distances. It's otherwise detrimental to do stepping where you need to correctly and timely apply nitaku/guaranteed counters/defensive techs/etc.</s>

19. Tricky

is ARM movement affected by dashes btw? i.e. can eileen step faster since she has the fastest arm? I've found stepping to be useful at a distance but gets me into trouble up close. It's also useful for retreating. Other than that it's only really good against other people who are stepping.

20. Crazy_Galaxy

Crazy_Galaxy Well-Known Member

yeah great idea, please KoD if you read this,
    just so we know if any form of minami step is possible under this system (even if not humanly possible) :p