1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

stick setup

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by GreatDeceiver, Feb 14, 2001.

1. GreatDeceiver

GreatDeceiver Well-Known Member

Taking up Llanfair's recommendation of Happ's "competition" line of buttons (thanks a lot for the tip, I love that they have a convex design), I'd like to hear what you think of the competition stick - given that the ultimate joystick is terrible.

I believe Chanchai already said in an earlier reply to another post of mine that they were good - I was looking for an optical stick, but all I could find on Happ's site was a rotary optical, not a regular one.

My doubts lie mainly in the spring action of the stick. I hate the "tight rubber" action that is so common, whereas the action is so stiff that the stick will wobble in the opposite direction when the intention was to release to neutral. Is the competition stick better than this? I expect it not to be too tight, but still firm - and precise enough so as to rest in neutral when expected to.

Also, I'm mounting this on the TB cabinet I have set up, so I'm also looking for durability (although I wouldn't take a compromise for the latter instead of the former) - that's why I haven't mounted my DC ascii/ageteck stick parts, they're too frail for cabinet use.

any thoughts greatly appreciated.

2. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

What I recently bought to emulate Kbcat's new homemades was 2 Ultimate sticks and two of the Perfect 360 conversion kits. Now, I've used Competition sticks and the converted Ultimates are extremely similar and feel great. It's unfortunate you can't get a Perfect 360 conversion for the Competition sticks.

The joystick's spring is not really really stiff and not Agetech DC stick loose. It's a nice medium. It does bounce past neutral a bit but not enough to mess you up. It's truly a great feeling stick.

Now Rich has Competitions on his arcade set-up and he's used Kbcat's DC sticks. He liked em - and there's no one I know who's pickier about sticks, etc. I'd say his endorsement is excellent in weight.

Rich, you thoughts on Kbcat's sticks? Just to hear em again ;)

cheers,

<font color=white> Llanfair the prized <font color=green>cabbage</font color=green></font color=white>