1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Strategies: Anti Rising Attacks

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by ken, Mar 10, 2002.

1. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

on the subject of akira anti-rising attacks, shoulder ram works great. I find it easy to time, I try it when I see the opponent's leg start to move... obviously you get the free combo afterwards for ~80 pts. f,f+K,K is a stylish way to stuff low rising attacks, the first kick whiffs and the second nails them. It may work vs. high rising attacks, but I've never seen it.

2. danny13

danny13 Well-Known Member

Shram do works on high rising kicks. However, for akira, moves that will interrupt rising attacks most easily are knee, djkicks and standing dblpalm. Knee has longer hit detection frames compared to shram plus also if your timing was off and get hit by a rising kick, you would Mc and fly away and can do a TR. Shram in the same senario would leave you vulnerable. Djkicks and standing dblpalm has even longer hit detection frames than knee.

3. ken

ken Well-Known Member

Re: BackStagger rule

Backstagger will occur in the following conditions:

Note opponent is back-turned.

1 - opponent any position and is hit by a move with stagger properties. Ie Lei&Jacky "f, f+K".

2 - Opponent is crouched and is hit by any mid attack.

3 - A standing opponent hit by any mid attack will automatically turn around if its not a major counter.

4 - Any hit with MC when backturned will stagger.

5 - When opponent TR when "face down and head towards" and they are hit with a mid attack they will backstagger because they are "backturned(face down) and crouching(TR)".

On a side note:
    Akira's: surprise exchange causes opponent to crouch. The single palm followup is a mid attack to a backturned crouching opponent. Hence the stagger.
    "db+P+G - D, f+P"

4. BEM

BEM Member

No it's different. The opponent will be tripped and fall down. You can try a ground punch afterward.

Sure, I know it reverses sidesteps and TRs, and causes the enemy to fall over. The animation I believe I saw was totally different.

I was playing around with the move in the Beta, before I knew that it was a sidestep/TR reversal. I tried it against a rising sweep and I believe I saw the opponent go into a stumble animation similar to when Aoi reverses a rising sweep. I'll try it out next time I play. It was a long time ago, and I've never replicated it, so perhaps I was mistaken.

5. MrWhite

MrWhite Well-Known Member

The timing for Akira's shrm is made easier if you input a low K - G-cancel when the opponent is knocked down. It makes you move forward just enough to be in shrm range aswell as charging a FC instead of doing a m-shrm. The low K-G-cancel also puts you in good position for a b,f+P+K. Dont do this too often as your opps will catch on and its hard to mix up afterwards because Aki doesnt have a ground game and opps will just start blocking high and TEing. In such a case it would be practical to implement his charged version of the double hammer punch. This is only a quick trick in his arsenal but should help you with the timing necessary for other attacks.

Also if your opp. gets weary of you reving their rising mid kicks and they start opting for the low linear rising kicks ( which in my case, I find harder to have the proper timing to rev ), a dodge towards their back is recommended. My favorite sequences in such cases is to dodge their low kick, 2/3 Fujin, throw | d/f+P+K+G, throw ( doing a close-in ram and wall comboing makes the whole flowchart nasty if the option is available to you ).

6. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

What you saw may have been one of pai's new inashis. I know at least one sidekick reversal turns them around and pai sidekicks them in the back, causing a stagger. Maybe you tapped d/b instead of d? or something like that.

7. BEM

BEM Member

Possibly, but I don't think so. It was definitely against a rising attack of the crescent type, as opposed to a straight kick, which I didn't think Pai could reverse/inashi. The animation was like Aoi's low cresecent reversal - the opponent sort of reels to one side and then recovers, so I guess describing it as a stagger was misleading.

*shrug* Probably just tripping. I've never remember to experiment with it when I'm at the arcade, but I'll try to have a go next time I play, or when I get the UK PS2 version. Sorry for wasting bandwidth.

8. Ealsen

Ealsen Well-Known Member

I've been playing Shun for quite a while.
    I usually do b+K+G on rising attacks(mid & low) and it works nicely. But only if opponent head is away(I think it doesn't matter if opponent faces up or down as long as its head is away)

Not much damage but It will definitely irritate your opponent =).

9. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

old man palm is a nasty thing to use on rising attacker but the timing is hard.

10. Bu_Jessoom

Bu_Jessoom Well-Known Member

To add to the stuff for Akira, you can do his LBF also against mid-rising kicks. If you time it correctly, you can either have it duck the kick and hit, or you can have the MC hit like most have, where you can end with the traditional DJKs.

I thought that it was stance dependent first, but then I noticed that it doesn't matter. I may be wrong, but I think you have to bee really close to the grounded opponent to have the MC hit. Not sure if it depends on the position of the downed opponent either (Head towards, head away?), but it worked for head towards position.

11. Blondie

Blondie Well-Known Member

O.K. so here is what I've gotten so far, 25pts of damage to interrupt a rising attack. With Jacky my options are as followed.

Rising MK- time the b,f+K+G within the time frame and it will interrupt a rising MK.

Rising LK- I can simply anticipate and jump it? Or also possibly time the b,f+K+G again? Or time a knee in both circumstances? Also his backflip would work also? His knee would be best to use simply for juggle followup. I'm going to try these things out on this guy at my arcade that sucks, his name is Enkindu you might know him on here. LOL, this was in case he reads this. Later guys.

12. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Knee will also work on high rising attacks but the timing is stricter. Sometimes both characters will pass thru each other with neither attack hitting.

ff+K punt kick does 30 pts of damage...

13. ken

ken Well-Known Member

BIG BIG mistake on my behalf..

20 points will do.. as a rising kick does 20pnts of damage.

14. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

I think its 21 as it has to do more than a rising attack.

15. ken

ken Well-Known Member

Nope definitely 20!

16. feii

feii Well-Known Member

PSN:
    WEIHAO888
    hihi~
    got a question abt b,f+k+g of jacky.it seems tat its not guaranteed.i observed tat during the start of TR animation tat the kick hits more often.same thing for ppl who try to QR also.
    somewhere at the start of the animation, the kick will connect anytime later than tat is liable to be blocked.

ive got a question abt interuptting rising kicks.so how do u actually time yr b,f+k+g to hit?

17. nycat

nycat Well-Known Member

Re: Strategies: Lion's Anti Rising Attacks

Lion also has the following weapons:
    Against: High or Mid Kick:
    db+K
    df+K+G
    BigCat wrote about okizeme in his FAQ for VF2 Lion and also FAQ VF3ob Lion

18. Tetra

Tetra Well-Known Member

i tried akira's DJK vs rising mid kick. I always get double knockdown... DJK is 20 damage for 1st kick.

19. ken

ken Well-Known Member

20 damage is all you need!

20. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    You guys are going in circles!

The only thing that makes me curious is that some moves are listed as 21 points damage. This may hint toward the 'greater than 20 damage' rule to MC a rising attack.

How about someone do a controlled test and report back?