1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Street Fighter Fightstick awesomeness

Discussion in 'Joysticks and Other Controllers' started by Tricky, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Slide

Slide Well-Known Member

Check srk, the tech talk section someone might have it.

2. Rodnutz

Rodnutz Well-Known Member

PSN:
    XxRodnutzxX
    XBL:
    XxRodnutzxX
    Thanks man!

3. Slide

Slide Well-Known Member

No prob man. Did someone have the template for you?

If not, I'll help you look for it when I get back. You know that "I love my custom stick" thread? People post up custom TE's in there, you might be able to PM someone that has a custom TE for a template too.

4. Shag

Shag Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ShagPSN
    XBL:
    Shagnificent
  5. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Wah! I wanna Roscoe's Chichen Stick NOW! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Tricky,

I know it's been like a month, but I haven't needed to open up my EX2 until now. The K button was acting up.
    I would get 2 or 3 KKK's for one press of the button. I'm not gonna fix the mic.

I removed the stock buttons and replaced them with these:
    [​IMG]
    The white cherry switch to the right is what I needed to replace to fix my K button.

I love these buttons, but they're about 1 1/2 inches taller than the stock sanwa's.
    To make room, you can fold the PCB boards over and to the side over the joystick:
    [​IMG]
    You need to extend one of the yellow wires of the joystick's up direction about 2 inches to do this. I have jumper wires connecting the buttons to the PCBs. (Please ignore the spaghetti wire mess.)

I saw in another thread about modding the EX2 that the modder took a dremel tool to file out the notch in the holes of the original buttons. You don't need to do this with these buttons, they just screw in.

The first stick I did this to, I covered the bottom of the buttons with electical tape so that they wouldn't short out on the metal base:
    [​IMG]
    Unfortunately, thru vibration of use (PPP,PPP,PPP) the tape creeped off 2 of the buttons and shorted out the board killing that stick. On this one, I've taken the precaution of insulating the metal base too, so that it isn't a problem anymore.

I had to add about one half inch spacers and longer screws (see the first pic) to re-attach the base. There's a half inch gap between the metal base and the plastic box:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm very happy with the stick like this.

6. Rodnutz

Rodnutz Well-Known Member

PSN:
    XxRodnutzxX
    XBL:
    XxRodnutzxX
  7. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    The infamous Frankenstein Mod!

8. VFhayato

VFhayato Well-Known Member

Nice stick! yupa! what type of buttons you use?
    Happ buttons?

9. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

I bought the buttons about 14 years ago from an arcade/vending machine distributor. I don't know the brand name anymore, but Happ sounds familiar.

10. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

those def look like happ competition buttons. Good guide Yupa

11. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Re: Street Fighter Fightstick not so awesomeness

I've repaired VFNumbers' SF4 stick a couple of times now...

First, 2 of his buttons were not working properly. I swapped them with the least used, the 2 black buttons. This is actually an easy operation. No soldering needed, you just need a screw driver. The bad buttons are marked with red in the pic below. But the black buttons will eventually start to work intermitently, too.

Next, a couple of weeks later, Numbers found that his upward diagonals weren't working. The up switch's range wasn't enough to register the diagonals, so he wasn't getting the 7 or 9 directions. He couldn't do Lei's 9P+K... there was much lamenting. I replaced the stock black switches with the white Happ ones I have (see the pics above) They seem to be physically the same, and have the same mounting holes. The stick snapped back together no problem. Only problem was me getting it wired back together... that only took about 2 hrs with Num's help, and trial and error. First the ground wasn't right. Then I had the left and right backwards. Yeah, I know how to follow a circuit on a PC board... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now, we need to get Numbers back on XBL.

12. VFhayato

VFhayato Well-Known Member

wow dude! you did a really great job on this ex stick! i know modding this must had taken forever,all i have to say is great job on the wiring you did,this looks really good!. i also get confuse on ground and power and be like ok what is going on or sometimes the button just keep tapping,but good job.

13. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

Hey Hayato that's a SFIV SE stick you're looking at there not the EX2. But yeah mad props for the work you did Yupa.

14. Chibiaya

Chibiaya Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Bus Orez

Yupa: If i sent you my arcade stick? Would you be able to repair it?

15. VFnumbers

VFnumbers Well-Known Member Content Manager Lei

PSN:
    VFnumbers
    XBL:
    VFnumbers

thanks yupa the stck imo works better than before.every input is accurate now and sometimes i thought i was using a pad

16. Cozby

Cozby OMG Custom Title! W00T!

PSN:
    CozzyHendrixx
    XBL:
    Stn Cozby

I really like the stick and gate, I can get my groove step on real easy. Its too bad you have to sacrafice an arm to get one now.

17. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Maybe. Which stick? Hori EX2 or the SF4 one?

What's the problem. If it's the buttons on the SF4 stick, you should be able to fix it yourself. If it's the joystick itself, I can't make any guarantees.

18. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

You've used Number's updated SF4 stick? Great, a positive review. Glad you think it's better. Thanks.
    (I can't really trust what Numbers says about joysticks... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif )

19. Chibiaya

Chibiaya Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Bus Orez

Its actually BOTH of those sticks and both have button issues.

The EX2 stick only 2-3 buttons work on it at most

the SF4 stick the buttons autofire on their own. So fucking annoying. If i was to fix it, How would i go about fixing these sticks. I dont have any of the stuff required to fix the stick nor can i afford to buy new buttons at the moment. The worst thing about that SF4 stick is that I JUST bought it =\

20. ShinobiFist

ShinobiFist Well-Known Member

Your using a stick now *Tears* You and Cozby want to take over the world I see, lol.