1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Streets of Rage 4

Discussion in 'General' started by Dragonps, Aug 28, 2018.

1. nou

nou Well-Known Member

Game is awesome! Topped the first SOR for me.

I've been mainly Axel for the whole game, but at some point I'll start using Adam more. I like Axel's basic approach that stresses spacing and crowd control. His headbutt and charge kick give the CHONKY goodness in crowd control. Playing on Mania is a blast but using the whole tool kit is a must. Once I started using defensive moves, it made things a lot more manageable in this mode, lol. I'll still maintain they aren't necessary but they do help regardless.

I've read complaints about mobility and "limited tool set", especially Axel's but he I don't see it. He makes up for it with strong normals.

The complaints seem to come from SOR2 players, and people's first experiences being from that, since it the one most recommended seemed to stress more gimmicks than anything, and I think that's where the complaints are coming from?

I can't put it down, and I just came off the recent Sega beat'em ups and didn't realize I need more beat'em ups after this. It provides the right amount of feedback with the right amount of challenge.

Characters: I like Axel, SOR 1 Blaze, Adam and Flynn or my favorites. Looking forward to Shiva and Zan.

The rest are "No thanks", but I'm sure I'll come around to them at some point.

Last edited: May 11, 2020
    Tricky and Sonic The Fighters like this.
  2. nou

nou Well-Known Member

Double Dragon had a sequel. It was Double Dragon: Neon. Wouldn't mind seeing a new Final Fight, as long as it doesn't like SFIV or SFV.

beanboy likes this.
  3. SDS_Overfiend1

SDS_Overfiend1 Well-Known Member

The complaints are mainly about mobility and the A.I. being more about memorizing than just going out on a all out assault. It's a Good game. Has its faults but overall it's a good game. Thank God it was released on game pass.

beanboy likes this.
  4. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    It's the difference in speed between your character and the average enemy speed. In SOR2 (And SOR1) you were slow but so were the enemies. And the game wouldn't give you that many to fight at once. In SOR3 enemies are faster but you have a run and an evasive roll to get around. And it was easier to use specials without losing health.

In SOR4 you move like in SOR2, but it has SOR3 enemies. It manageable but becomes tedious when coupled with some other aspects of the game.

For me it's a decent game with a lot of things that feel like they were thrown in without testing or checking how they worked with other things in the game that were thrown in. Bit more time in the oven might have done it some good. Hoping the devs continue to work on it or it gets mod support. As it stands when i'm done with those hard S ranks i probably won't touch it again.

SDS_Overfiend1 likes this.
  5. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

gamepass version is god aweful though. i legit didnt like the game until playing switch version

also people know mania is designed to be unfair right? they tell you in the description.

6. nou

nou Well-Known Member

Since I jumped back and forth between Normal and Mania, I've noticed the enemies are faster and A LOT more aggressive, but I've been mostly able to use old standby's like using enemies for I-frames, crowd control moves and still do well. I can't get laxed which is what's supposed to happen, as opposed to Normal. Axel's jumps have I-frames as well, bt have to be timed right ala DMC.

Going in guns-a-blazin' will always get you killed in this genre, and this doesn't feel any different in that regard. This game feels like SOR 1 just with added abilities and the wall bounce, which is probably the best feature, since it keeps everything moving without having to wait for enemies to get up and reappear on screen.

I don't think they'll change too much since I think they really wanted to play into the character archetypes, especially for multi-player.

Nothing here felt too crazy. Challenging? Absolutely. Not on the level of Yakuza/Yakuza spin-offs like THE WALL hits you and seem damn near impossible before you figure it out.

7. MadeManG74

MadeManG74 Moderator Staff Member Tournament Manager Silver Supporter

What's the difference?

8. MarlyJay

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    It's an older build for some reason. I'm told sound effects and some move properties are different.

Tricky likes this.
  9. Tricky

yeah and the combo counter decays too quickly and doesn't actually give you the proper amount of points. Combos drop on enemies that work on the newest version. I don't know why they did this for the gamerpass. I mean different teams did ports for each system and the gamepass one just totally dropped the ball.

10. MadeManG74

MadeManG74 Moderator Staff Member Tournament Manager Silver Supporter

Wow, weird that it's an older version on Game Pass! Is that for both PC and Xbox?

11. Tricky

only for the windows store version. the steam version is fine.

MadeManG74 likes this.
  12. beanboy

beanboy Well-Known Member

Wow! I didn't know that.

13. nou

nou Well-Known Member

The team has been waiting for the go ahead to release the patch on Game Pass, but no dice. It's been a patch behind since release. I was reading about it at another forum. I have it on Switch so I just lol'ed.

Game is so good! This'll probably be in my Top 3 for 2020 games.

Sonic The Fighters likes this.
  14. SDS_Overfiend1

SDS_Overfiend1 Well-Known Member

Don’t matter which version was released. Game is decent. Shit ain’t great and I’m not in the business of hypebeasting. Unless the patch is updating it to SOR4: FS... I’m good

beanboy, MadeManG74 and Tricky like this.
  15. blossy1000

blossy1000 Well-Known Member

I just bought the game 2 days ago and played it through twice on normal. I really like it so far. At first it felt weird that defensive special isn't the get out of jail free card it used to be but on the other hand it has invincible frames, you just have to plan more when to use it and enemies telegraph a lot. I guess it would be a bit overpowered otherwise with the new system where you get your life back by landing throws. I really like that btw.

The slow walk speed is a bit weird, I guess the devs really like Sor2 (who doesn't?), but especially with some bosses with their super armor and stuff it felt annoying to me sometimes being too far away when their window to be attacked opened and it took too long to get back in time. I have to get better at it before I know what to really think though.

nou and Tricky like this.
  16. beanboy

beanboy Well-Known Member

Was that super armour thing, in the previous Streets of Rage games?
    My memory is very poor here. Lol!

17. MarlyJay

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    No, sometimes enemies would be invulnerable in certain situations but they'd never ignore you hitting them for extended periods of time. Some would be counter attacks in response to being hit and some would be attacks on wake up or when grabbed. These were always bosses too.

beanboy likes this.
  18. nou

nou Well-Known Member

Moving up and down is how I dodge and jumps. Just like I did in SOR 1. Neutral jump has invulnerability frames too, but spacing is king. Gonna start using characters with those fancy dashes(i.e. Adam) at some point.

Tricky likes this.
  19. nou

nou Well-Known Member

Stage 4 Mania. :cry: I hate Diamond. Can't let up once, all offensive all the time. I did learn that it's better to have Donovans hold weapon since they more start ups on attacks. Getting better at stuffing Diamonds with Axel's jump kick too.