1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Struggling

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by BentLee, Mar 26, 2002.

1. BentLee

BentLee Member

What is the preferred method for struggling? I'm a noob at
    VF4 but not at struggling. In SC is was hold G, then
    464646 out of a DOS. In MvC2 it was rubbing an open palm
    across all the buttons+46464 or something out of a Magnetic
    Tempest combo. I'm looking for something similar for VF4.

2. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Hold G, rotate stick 360 degrees real quick while tapping p n k repeatedly.

Do it real fast as well.

3. chingdude

chingdude Well-Known Member

summers,

do you know what technique shinz prefers? he has always impressed me with his stagger recovery ability (ex: vf3 world tourney). thx.

"~"

4. Bu_Jessoom

Bu_Jessoom Well-Known Member

This is kinda off-topic( or is it?), but I wanted to see what you guys do in these kinds of situations; Akira does ST >> You struggle in case he doesn't do the c-sglplm >> m-dblplm combo. Since the c-sglplm is the only guaranteed followup to Akira's ST throw, would you not struggle out all the time, since it's trivial that the opposing player would use the c-sglplm for sure? What I am thinking is, if I throw somebody with my ST, and I notice (by listening to the stick movement/ button mashing) that my opponent is not struggling, I will crouch dash after the ST, and shldram them for a combo for example. This means that my opponents' best bet is to struggle.

Assuming this apply's for Lau's/Pai's ST throws as well, are there any similar situations for other things?

5. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

yeah, there's a clip where an akira notices that the opponent isn't struggling and is in fact being lazy and just waiting for the sgpm--->dbpm combo to end. So he does sgpm, crouch dashes forward, then SPoD. The opponent was chibita. Nice!

Knowing whether the opponent is struggling is important when using lau's stumbling trip. If they struggle, they stand up quickly and get smacked by ST --> b,f+P. If they don't struggle at all, sometimes a buffered b,f+P misses over their head. So listening for that, you might decide to do b,b+P, d+PPPsweep instead.

6. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

honestly?
    I don't know, and don't really care abt it.

as it is..I'm pretty satisfied with what I can do.
    What shinz does doesn't seem anything special to me anymore..After so many yrs, it's like an industry standard now...just what I expect from someone whom I consider to be one of the best VFer on planet earth ( or planet VF)

7. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Heh, the secret Shroud technique (tm) vs. Lau's stumbling throw combo...
    i.e. do nothing! You'll be fine =)

If you want to figure what the best way to struggle is, then go to free training and turn on the command input display--the numbers display would probably be best for this. The key to good struggling is getting the most command inputs in in the given time frame. Every button tap and stick direction counts, so logically circling the stick is the most efficient joystick motion while rapidly tapping all 3 buttons. The faster you see commands scroll up the screen the better you're doing. Personally, I think my button tapping is what gets me out of most of the more difficult struggling situations. When I'm lazy I just tap down on the stick quickly by alternating my index and middle finger quickly. My lazy technique is good enough to get out of many pounces after being thrown.

8. Typhoon

Typhoon Well-Known Member

Depends on if you're using a stick or the PS2 pad. With stick, I hold guard and wiggle just as the icon shows... back and forth three time... so f,b,f,b,f,b. Being an ex-Tekkener I hold back at the end, so I usually eat lows after a recovered stagger. Heh.

Using the PS2 pad is alot easier for me. Holding guard, I tap back repeatedly. I can recover just as fast with this method as I can with stick, but not vice versa.

The only benefit I've seen to tapping punch as well as guard is if you want to jab immediately after recovery, which is recommended at times (Vane stagger to ff+p+k tackle). Easiest way to lend credence to the 'punch doesnt speed recovery' is to try both methods using Vane under a stagger. She will execute a jab a little faster than a (G)u+p, but thats to be expected considering speed of the move. BTW... thats a real rude reply to a stagger with Vane.. try it... youll like it!