1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Stuck in 2p hell

Discussion in 'Jeffry' started by Keoma, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Keoma

Keoma Well-Known Member

XBL:
    DaManWithNoGame
    I guess this would apply to all characters, but somehow I feel that Jeffry is at a speed disadvantage in a lot of situations.

I've been having a lot of trouble with players who use a template that goes sort of: mid punch/kick -> 2p -> throw/mid. Wash, rinse, repeat.

I've tried to 6p elbow, but I get still hit by 2p most of the time. I've tried 2pk, but only works at a certain distance. I've tried back dashing, which works sometimes. Maybe I'm just not timing them right, or maybe that's as good as it gets.

Looking for tips if you know any!

2. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    What are these situations? Jeff has 2 14f mids. [4][K] and [6][P], both should beat 2P at +2 frames. if your advantage is less than that the opponents [2][P] will win. This goes for all characters.

3. Keoma

Keoma Well-Known Member

XBL:
    DaManWithNoGame
    hmm, maybe I'm not thinking about it correctly. I will try to anticipate it and see if I can counter it. maybe reads is where I'm failing.

4. CheekyChi

CheekyChi Well-Known Member

XBL:
    CheekyChi
    Record the next game that happens, that way you can watch what happened with frame data on - you can see whether you had the advantage or if you did, did you react too slowly.

IcKY99 and Keoma like this.
  5. Elite

Elite Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Koenraku
    You don't "anticipate and try to counter" 2P. You should always plan your attack around outspeeding their 2P as the foundation of your play. If you do that then it forces the opponent to stop attacking when they shouldn't (some chars have 11fr P but dont worry about that for now).

at +2 (your P guarded) you can use 14fr mid (6P or 4K)
    at +4 (your PK hits) you can use 16fr mid (3P+K)
    at +5 (after guarding their 2P) you can use 17fr mid (2K)
    at +6 (guarding a lot of moves) you can use up to 18fr mid (6K).

12 + your advantage = slowest speed of move you can use (highest dmg move wins if two moves hit at the same time)

For Jeffry I would use 4K til 3P+K til 2K. 2K is a great payoff for little risk, no reason to risk 6K for the same damage.

Using jumping moves and whatnot to hard counter is not needed as long as you recognise the frames. If you play the way I described you dont need to guess WHAT they're gonna attack with only that they're gonna attack at all.

If you guard their 2P you're at +5 and should be able to TKoD them if they spam another 2P. If their 2P wins then you were either slow at reacting or the lag messed you up. You can try to just always use 4K at first to remedy those issues.

Jeffry has trouble against good defense imo, people using abare/spamming 2p instead of defending is good for Jeffry.

Strider786, Zass, nou and 8 others like this.
  6. Keoma

Keoma Well-Known Member

XBL:
    DaManWithNoGame
    Not ready to blame lag yet, but reaction time and fundamentals are probably lacking. Thanks for the informative post!

7. IvorB

IvorB Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ivor_Biguns
    When someone starts 2P'ing I just back off to be honest. I'm sure there are better ways of dealing with it. But I also rely on 2P when someone fast is applying pressure and is all up in my face so I can appreciate both sides of the story.

8. TheWeirdo 5000

TheWeirdo 5000 Well-Known Member

When I was a month or two into playing, there was this really terrible Jeffery player who would spam 2p and mix it with a mid or a throw. Eventually I went to the dojo and programmed a bot to do a few variations of that pattern and set them to random. Practiced on it for half an hour and wrecked that troll the next time we fought.

You might try doing something similar. Free play in the dojo lets you program the bots to practice against stuff that a player might be spamming. Save your replay, watch the button inputs, and then train against those moves.

EvenPit likes this.
  9. Keoma

Keoma Well-Known Member

XBL:
    DaManWithNoGame
    Don't get me wrong. Not complaining about 2p. I use it sometimes too. Just want to know how to get over this particular hump, though. I need to make some changes in line to what Elite posted.

10. Keoma

Keoma Well-Known Member

XBL:
    DaManWithNoGame
    Thx Weirdo (feel funny calling you that)! I don't want to call them trolls, because they're not exactly spamming 2p all the time, but it's definitely part of their setup.

I wasn't aware you could program the bots to try stuff randomly. That will be a big help.

11. nou

nou Well-Known Member

remember to BUFFER the your Elbow after a blocked 2p. Don't wait for their animation to end.

Elite likes this.
  12. CheekyChi

CheekyChi Well-Known Member

XBL:
    CheekyChi
    yeah, in training mode you have three storage spaces where you can store some commands, you can select one and press X to repeat that one slot or if you have more than one saved, you can press Y for it to randomly select one of them - it will loop and every time it will be a random choice.

You don't have to always attack. Just look at what they're doing and try to find a pattern. Once you see one try to take advantage of it.

Keoma likes this.
  13. YOMI

YOMI not a legendary game designer

PSN:
    buttoi-man
    Giving such detailed advice when regarding online play is pretty much useless due to lag, you aren't going to be able to utilize it in an efective way because of it. I'd just recommend blocking + lazy te their 2P spam until they do punishable move and then just work on from there.

14. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    The advice is not useless. 2P spam is already launch "punishable", meaning that if they try 2P after blocked 2P they can get launched.

15. Elite

Elite Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Koenraku
    I think you just like to argue for the sake of arguing sometimes.

pana, Sebo, Libertine and 1 other person like this.
  16. Unicorn

Unicorn Well-Known Masher Content Manager Wolf

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    2P spam is punishable move by default. Even online.
    And if you cant put anything into 17-frame window due to lag, there is no need to wait for publishable move. You will not be able to punish it as well, due the very same lag.
    So no, I do not agree with you. Your advice is either just excuse to unability to beat 2p spam; or is useless due to very big lag. In both cases, it is wrong.

R_Panda likes this.
  17. Neonomide

Neonomide Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Neonomide
    This stuff cannot be emphasized enough really. I recommend dearly going to Dojo and setting the doll to counter attack with P, 2P and 6P after a block in order to "burn" those correct reactions to your biological hard drive.

As said before, the next step is to to use the program option in the dojo for scenario practice.

18. EvenPit

EvenPit Well-Known Member Content Manager Eileen

if i cannot detect when my opponent will 2p (which rarely happens anymore) if i get hit by it the first time-no big deal, I would try and MAKE my opponent low punch just so I can get free damage off of 9p or 46kg. That said though, I don't know if Jeff has a.. "easy" move to punish low attacks like Wolf or Eileen does, but i think every character has a way rather it be the "old school" way or whatever. Thats the first thing i like to learn when I try and use another character (whats their 2p/low attack crusher)

19. Sebo

Sebo Well-Known Member Content Manager Taka Content Manager Jeffry

PSN:
    Sebopants
    No, Jeffry does not have an "easy" move to punish [2][P]. And [4][6][K][G]?

[9][P] is kinda bleh, being really slow, it either needs to be used against an opponent who is on auto-pilot so it catches them spamming multiple or doing a low with long recovery frames, or doing it in advance so the speed of the attack will beat out the recovery frames.

[9][K] is slightly more reliable due to speed, but only slightly because it whiffs a lot. If only it had a hitbox like Akira's [9][K]... or the combo opportunities after it.

It gets boring (if you play 100 game sessions), but use traditional defense (don't try evading>counter attack), after blocked [2][P] you have +5.

And in general, unless you're punishing Taka, or are within range of a wall hit > [4][3][P]+[K] wall combo, or want to push the opponent forward, don't use [6][P][P]. [4][K] hitcheck [P] is vastly superior, and [4][K] only whiffs versus moves like Akira's [3][3][P]+[K], unlike [6][P] which still has a shit hitbox, shit frames, and hitchecking it isn't easy or worth the risk considering nearly every other character has good punishers from -13~15.

Have fun whiffing! (Jeffry trademark)

20. EvenPit

EvenPit Well-Known Member Content Manager Eileen

Im sorry I was referencing Eileen's 9[P] and her 46[K]+[G] to crush lows. Im was not certain what Jeffery had.