1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

sudden death and the blindfighting backdash

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Yupa, Nov 24, 2001.

1. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Sudden death does exist in VF4. Jerky and I fooled around in our last match tonight before I had to leave to come into work. (Sucks for me.) We didn't touch each other in the last round and waited for time out. The next round is sudden death. Both players get a single point of life on the life bar. It looked like the ring remained unchanged and we had full time (60 seconds) if we needed it. Jerky Jacky beat Yupa Sarah with a kicklfip :p ;)

Also, we were both able to do the multiple blindfighting backdashing that Jerky told me he had seen Ryan Hart do in a movie. Simply buffer the first back dash (in this case toward your opponent) into the recovery of a turn away attack like the Bryant's bb+P and then buffer in an additional back dash during the previous back dash. You could probably do this indefinitely, but its clunky at best as you cannot fine tune the movement with the G button like you could in VF2/3. I'd like to test out if you could buffer in a forward dash (away from you opponent) and stay with your back still facing the opponent. Why did AM2 change it so that hitting G would turn your character around? I don't see the point in that. In VF3 you would turn around by tapping the joystick toward your opponent or E-ing... it could have been left the same in VF4. <shrug>

2. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

You can CD back and forward with your back exposed. But yeah, the moment you hit G, you turn around.

3. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Isn't a block from TA very fast in VF4 though? It seems like you can simply block many attacks while turned around just by pressing Guard.

My natural reaction is still to try to CD, dodge, or do some attack (to either maneuver or directly attack), but I get the impression you can simply block most attacks if you are turned around and standing still (and pressing Guard to block) when the attack comes.

-Chanchai

4. Bronze Parrot

Bronze Parrot Well-Known Member

Re: sudden death

What happens if oxymoronically no one dies in the Sudden Death round? That is, neither chara damages or Ring Out the other chara, and they wait for Time Over? Do we get another Sudden Death round? And do we get more than two Sudden Death rounds?

BTW, did you check Sarah, Jerky, and Pai's RO animations while you were at it?

(I hope you remember I like to explore the weirdness in the VF series, to see if the Sega debuggers and programmers did what they are paid to do.)

5. jackybrothas

jackybrothas Well-Known Member

akira and i had tested this before..... and the answer is no... one of you will have slightly more energy.... cuz akira and i hadn't attacked each other during the sudden death round and i won hehe..

6. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

The way it worked in the earlier VF's: if sudden death ends in a draw, the player with the win streak will win. If neither player has at least one win to his credit, then the 1P side will be awarded the win.

7. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Re: ring out animation

If I see any of the character ring out poses I'll let you know Don, but we've mostly been playing on walled rings in Boston... usually the castle or arena stages. I don't like the city stage because it's too dark and the 2 characters having shadows in different directions irratates me on a subconscious level somehow... I stay away from the stages with unbreakable walls simply because they're the smallest ones and most of them are in dark settings too.

The only time I've actually seen a ring out animation is when I continued a float combo with Sarah to push an opponent out of the ring, but Sarah stepped down and touched the ground before the floated character so I lost the round. I was too freaked and busy complaining how VF4 is a cheap game to pay close enough attention to what Sarah did apon ring out... =)

8. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

Re: ring out animation

I think the initial reaction is the same for all the characters - they just look around, surprised. And then from there they go on to their individual reactions, which I think are the same as their losing animations (which you can see against the CPU).