1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

"SUPER BATTLE OPERA" 1st annual Arcadia cup tournament

Discussion in 'Tournaments and Events' started by Akebono, Jan 13, 2003.

1. Akebono

Akebono Well-Known Member

First go here: Shoryuken.com

Now the reason im posting this, is simple. If the Superbattle opera is having Internationl slots for all there tournaments, why isnt VFDC doing what shoryuken is doing and holding a tournament to see who gets those spots or something along those lines.

I dont know how this site gets paid for, or how shoryuken.com gets paid for, but I wonder why we cant host our own tournaments. I know we have gatherings and such, but Im wondering if There was some way for VFDC to host a national VF tournament. Who cares if at first threres a limited amout of people.

Anyway, sorry to get all preachy. I just get jealous when other fighting games in the US get treated so kindly and VF is the diamond in the rough. /versus/images/icons/frown.gif

2. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

Challengers for 3D games come from korea. The us isnt allowed to enter in VF.

3. Akebono

Thanks for the clear up lonely!! I cant read japanese. I wonder how we can get an invite to the tournament.

Also does it say "US not allowed" or does it say that korea are the only foreigners allowed in VF?

4. Hayai_JiJi

i believe its along the lines of "korea are the only ones invited for tekken and vf4"

5. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

but I wonder why we cant host our own tournaments. I know we have gatherings and such, but Im wondering if There was some way for VFDC to host a national VF tournament.

There's always been a way. This could start another "gathering versus tournament" thread! Yay!

Seriously though, there are numerous ways to go about starting a tournament with a strong backing (sponsors/coverage) and then proceed to have it on a regular basis. Problem is, everyone wants to come to the party but no one wants to stay and clean up. Work turns people off.

the NYG tournaments now have a history of successful meets (not including the tournament that fizzled) which they could parlay into something larger, perhaps even including (or attempting to) SOA and local media.

GE

6. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

I know we have gatherings and such, but Im wondering if There was some way for VFDC to host a national VF tournament

Wait a minute, hang on there.

I think the correct question you should first be asking is, "Is there some way for Jedi-Fei to organize a national tournament?" After you think about this, think of how other people might face the same obstacles.

And if there are no obstacles...Jedi Fei my man lead the way and I may even make a trip up to the U.S. to attend and catch up with a few of my old VF buddies.

7. Akebono

I dont mind trying to organize a National tournament for VF. In fact I think Im going to try!! These are a couple things though I need to get a general Idea what the VF community wants. Also, Myke if I attempt to do this, will I have backing from VFDC. Usually it helps to have a website backing the tournament up. Please PM me with any Ideas people might have to help. I think this would be a great thing for the community.

I just need to know if a tournament were held would people wanna go, and if so where they want to have it held: NEW YORK, FLORIDA, TORONTO, SOCAL. Obviously Florida would be the easiest for me to organize, but if other people wanna help out let me know. I think with all our resources we can get this done.

8. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

dude
    polls on this site have been disabled yo~

9. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

Actually, I don't really think there is a nationality requirement to enter the tougeki tournament. Since it's a team based tourney for VF4 Evo, most likely you have to fly to japan with your team and qualify at a local arcade to earn the right to participate. You might want to try and ask if the US can hold it's own qualifying rounds to determine players to represent the US team. Shoryuken gets special treatment because they regularly hosts international tournaments and the US players that competes represent a force internationally. VF4 wise.. US have never really showed our strength outside the country, maybe that'll change with FL crew's visit to Korea. I think the most important thing first is to get Sega's backing to host more national tournament like what gamepro did, and get Yu Suzuki to come watch. Then we need to have ALL the good players show up and show him the strength of US players. That would be a good start to get the US involved internationally. On the note of helping out in the scene, I provide my computer art skills if you need Jedi, just let me know. /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif

10. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC
    Jedi,

While I love the idea of a National VF tournament, I think that we've got a tournament right in our sights that looks to draw more of a cross-country spread than I've seen before: TiT5. While I think you should keep an eye towards making a future VF-centric event, perhaps you could sharpen your organizing skills by getting more people (NYC, Omaha, Canada etc) into coming to TiT5. It's pretty centrally located, and a lot of people seem to be going already.

Just a thought

Spotlite

11. Akebono

Thats for the imput guys. TiT is not my thing, Ill let the tit guys do there stuff, but I will encourage all VF players to go if they can. But enough of that is already being done. I am also trying to see about getting some Korean VF players to go.

What Im thinking about is perhaps getting some financial backing to host a VF tourney. Imagine it,

"VFDC and Logitech Present: KUMITE: 1st annual Virtua Fighter National Championships"

Huh!!!!! /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif

Anyway, Myke, could you do me a favor, can you make me a word document, like a letter head with the VFDC logo, I can write letters to companys and see if they can give sponsorship. Or something. I know I keep bringing you into this, but It would help so much if VFDC is behind me.

12. Hayai_JiJi

I think 2 fools from omaha are going to TiT (me and chris). NYC should be badgered and minnesota as well.

13. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

A very far-fetched idea, but I like it.

Hopefully the VF tourney at TIT5 will be successful, and gives people more incentive to plan similar events. Hell, we might even convert a few Tekken players as soon as they see some decent Evo being played. /versus/images/icons/cool.gif

IMO a national tourney right off the bat is too big for a first step. Start out small and get the word out. You need to "crawl before you walk"....so to speak.

14. Akebono

I totally agree, I just want to make sure that VFDC is given the most credit of all. This site is dedicated to all things VF and it deserves to be the forefront of all VF events.

15. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Also, Myke if I attempt to do this, will I have backing from VFDC.

It might help to draw a list of exactly how you think VFDC can help (drawing up a letter template to write to sponsors might be one).

I can tell you right off the bat that VFDC itself cannot provide financial sponsorship.

16. Akebono

I totally understand VFDC cant back me financially, Im thinking about more in the sense of having a name. Its better than some joe schmoe(ME) trying to convince people to financially back us. I mean I have the connections but its better if I say Im representing VFDC, know what I mean!

17. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Gotcha. What I would recommend is to first get the basics out of the way. Time, venue, people, etc. What's critical is finding out what it would take to get people to join this national tournament. I.e. is it prize money, Japanese/Korean competition, convenient location, other games in the tournament, etc.

You'll have to find out, and hitting the key VF people in the U.S. (NY crew, LA group, Toronto gang, etc.) and getting them to hop on board would make a good start before taking the campaign a little more mainstream.

Once you figure out what it would take to get people interested, that's when you then try to figure out how to pull it off financially and operationally.

18. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

hey sup jeff, i can already say there's a 99.9999% chance nyc crew wont go, i asked them and all the answers were "nah,...too far, too much $$, no time, im happy just chilling playing vf" haha.

aint that a bitch /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

edit: oh yeah just a disclaimer, im not speaking on behalf of every NYC vfer, im just telling it as i see it, sort of a "news" bit. if anyone didnt like how this sounded, sorry, but seems people here a a bit busy and stuff (its not that we dont give a fuck, really...honest!.) /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

19. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

numbers make all the difference. there are probably dozens of sf'ers for each vf'er - literally! and when you have so many people you have so much more money, so much more interest from sponsors, so much more interest from arcades, and so on. with all the vf'ers being so few, and so scattered thousands of miles apart, and all with schedules of their own - it'll be a huge feat if anyone can pull off anything similar to almost any decent sf gathering/tournament, and some of those have been on a scale and organization that we could only dream about.

i sound negative, but i would love to see such a thing happen, but i just don't see any north american vf thing ever getting beyond the moat or nyg.

20. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member