1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

"SUPER BATTLE OPERA" 1st annual Arcadia cup tournament

Discussion in 'Tournaments and Events' started by Akebono, Jan 13, 2003.

1. Akebono

Akebono Well-Known Member

Well,

when does everyone feel is the best time to hold this thing. Summer, Winter.

Im sorry NY is not interested. But we move on.

Also what do people perfer, Cash or Prizes?

2. Gndalf007

Gndalf007 Well-Known Member

Count me in for helping you organize this thing. I so want to see VF4 go national. I figure, if even the gaming magazines are saying VF4 is better than T4, there are people out there to be pulled into the national scene. And what better way to do that than a highly-publicized national tournament?

Also an idea: maybe we can get Tips and Tricks to put something about this thing in their tournament coverage.

Regarding TiT: If definite values for prizes aren't announced, there's no way to judge just how worth it flying there will be. I bet that fact is making a lot of people (such as NYC) shy away. If it's a pot deal, then the thought is "what if like ten guys show up? That won't even cover my costs," as opposed to "$1000 grand prize."

3. sta783

sta783 Well-Known Member

Jedi,

Probably the better way to start off is to piggy back on other tournaments. Whether I like it or not, VF is still not popular enough to warrant a stand-alone national tournament.

Look around...there are all sorts of national level Capcom tournaments, SRK's Evolution, Mid-West champinionship, etc. And you may notice that there are sometimes non-Capcom games hosted too, such as GGXX or Tekken.

Talk to those organizers to include VF4 as well. Prize may not be necessary. I think that would be much easier than setting up a national tournament from scratch. And we might lure in other attendees into the tournament and publicize that VF is at least as good as other fighting games.

4. Akebono

Akebono Well-Known Member

I think im going to attempt a VF only Large scale tournament. IF it sucks and no one shows up, well them hell everyone will be happy that I failed. but if I suceed, it will be a new era in VF in the US.

5. Brisal73

Brisal73 Well-Known Member

just a small suggestion.... I recommend it to be held during E3 in Los Angeles. More people might be willing to come since they can also go to E3 at the same time. The L.A. group is in planning right now. Plus last year at Spotlites house we had about 20 people there. The L.A. tournament last weekend went pretty well and we seem to be adding more people to the VF scene every week. I also recommend getting hold of aimstar she ran a great tournament and I hear she will try to get sponsership so we can have some prizes next time(besides the trophy). Its just a suggestion...plus I think this thing in Texas might be a bigger VF turn out than most people think. I can't think of one L.A. person not planning on going.

6. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

um.. E3 time is a good idea.. but someone needs to come up with a way to get everyone into E3. Many people do not have access to getting passes, so that will be a turn off for some people. If someone can resolve this problem then the scenario sounds more feasible. Maybe people can go under VFDC's name. /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif

7. PhoenixDth

PhoenixDth Well-Known Member

heres basic specifications for E3
    Business Liscense,
    Business must be registered for atleast 6 months
    For press passes, proof of articles must be shown
    more info here
    E3 homepage

8. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Hmm, it's a bad sign when a core group like NY doesn't participate. If you can't convince the people who play the most, what makes you think you can convince people who only play casually?

I would spend some time lobbying the NY crew, finding out why they don't want to go, and seeing if there's some way to change their minds.

Start with the basics.

9. Brisal73

Brisal73 Well-Known Member

if you have a website or know someone that has a website you can get in as the media or a guest. Its not as hard as people think

10. ghostdog

ghostdog Well-Known Member

<font color="ff3366">Hmm, it's a bad sign when a core group like NY doesn't participate. If you can't convince the people who play the most, what makes you think you can convince people who only play casually?</font color>

Just because the NY crew isn't going to participate, it doesn't mean it's necessarily a bad sign. There are other crews (Florida, LA, Toronto, Midwest) that play at least as much as NY does. Going by that logic, TiT would be cancelled. NY isn't going there either. No offense to NY or you, Ice-9.

I think what Shota posted was practical. "Piggy-backing" on a major tournament, or maybe even a gathering (like E3) might be easier than starting up a national tournament. It's old news that VF isn't popular in the US. Starting small would probably be best.

11. imf

imf Well-Known Member

I agree.

sorry, couldn't resist....hehehe /versus/images/icons/grin.gif

12. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

yeah i agree as well, nyc is just one less group that aint going. there's more groups that can and will go. noone is stoping y'll.

13. PhoenixDth

PhoenixDth Well-Known Member

so just outta curiosity what events is NY willing to goto other than NYG . . . obviously.

14. TexasLion

TexasLion Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JunoSynth
    It sucks NY doesn't want to go to TiT5, but even without them the tourney is looking like it'll be the biggest/best VF gathering ever in America. At least 40 to 50 VF players are expected, and not just random casual players, but top guys from all over. The TiT5 VF4 tourney will definitely be a stepping stone in seeing where we're at and what can be expected for future VF4 tournies if done right.

Those who don't go are really going to miss out if TiT5 is as much as a success as it has potential to be.

15. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Get a subway card, library card, school ID card Get a plastic sleeve for it with a hole in it. Get a shoelace with a prominent brandname motif, string it through the hole, and dangle the card around your neck.
    Voila! Instant access /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

Well, I exaggerate a hair, but it's worked before.

16. adamYUKI

adamYUKI Well-Known Member

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI
    At least a couple of NY players (myself included) are VERY interested in attending an E3/VF4 Evo. We attended a couple of years ago and it was fookin' awesome! The gathering we had at Spotlite's place was fantastic!! I am fairly certain that i will be attending the show, so getting together with VF niggas is a no-brainer. So lets do something big for E3 VF4 Evo.

TiT sounds hot, but the best NY representatives just can't make it, either due to money issues or strict work schedules. I have a limited number of days off per year unfortunately, and can put those towards hanging wit EliseTotoBunnyKun and at least 1 VF gathering (E3 this year or NYG 4?)

I'll definitely try to get Nelson (ghettoSHUN), Rodney (OmahaJEFFRY), and Andy (CrewNYC) to attend E3 VF4 Evo.

17. Shag

Shag Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ShagPSN
    XBL:
    Shagnificent
    For NY crew, I can honestly say except for Adam and Andy, are some "po"-ass people. We can't even afford the "o"and the "r." /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif

I did a lot of travelling last year which I'm still paying for. /versus/images/icons/blush.gif If not, I would have planned to go to Texas for their tourney.

18. kungfusmurf

kungfusmurf Well-Known Member

Haha, he said "po" which is a understatement for me anyway. I'm surprise that I can still afford to play against the NYCrew. /versus/images/icons/crazy.gif

19. adamYUKI

adamYUKI Well-Known Member

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI
    Heh...I bet you couldn't resist! /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

Good luck in Korea. Hope you guys learn a lot! Look forward to battling you mugs soon...