1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

SVGL 3v3 ad hoc tourney report

Discussion in 'Tournaments and Events' started by feixaq, Oct 7, 2001.

1. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

On Saturday, October 7, VF4 players at Sunnyvale Golfland in California (SVGL) banded together in groups of threes to play VF4 Beat Tribe style in a spur-of-the-moment, totally ad hoc "tournament".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by FeixaQ on 10/07/01 03:34 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

2. ghostdog

ghostdog Well-Known Member

Looks fun...

So who's who? Are there any VFDC VFers in the picture?

-<font color=white>Ghost</font color=white><font color=red>DOG</font color=red>

3. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Okay, just edited my post above. More pics, and this time with labels. Real names in yellow, VFDC forum names in parentheses. Missing from this picture are SVGL regulars Jason Cha and Jemin (they came later in the evening).

[​IMG]

4. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

<font color=blue>============================================</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Sunnyvale Golfland VF4test 3-on-3 Tournament</font color=red>
    Saturday, October 6, 2001
    <font color=blue>============================================</font color=blue>

PARTICIPANTS
    ------------
    Group A:
    (A1) John (Jeffrey, Jacky, Kage)
    (A2) Justin (Jacky)
    (A3) Jason (Jacky, Shun)

Group B:
    (B1) Howard (Jacky, Sarah)
    (B2) Sho (Pai)
    (B3) Chris (Kage, Pai)

Group C:
    (C1) Hans (Aoi)
    (C2) Akira (Lau, Wolf)
    (C3) Don (Lion, Jeffrey)

FIRST SET (winners in *asterisks*)
    ----------------------------------
    *John* vs Howard, *Justin* vs Sho, Jason vs *Chris*
    Group A wins 2-1

*John* vs Hans, Justin vs *Akira*, *Jason* vs Don
    Group A wins 2-1

*Howard* vs Hans, Sho vs *Akira*, Chris vs *Don*
    Group B wins 2-1

Tally:
    1st: Group A
    2nd: Group C
    3rd: Group B

SECOND SET
    ----------
    *John* vs Sho, Justin vs *Chris*, Jason vs *Howard*
    Group B wins 2-1

John vs *Akira*, Justin vs *Don*, *Jason* vs Hans
    Group C wins 2-1

*Howard* vs Akira, Sho vs *Don*, *Chris* vs Hans
    Group B wins 2-1

Tally:
    1st: Group B
    2nd: Group C
    3rd: Group A

THIRD SET
    ----------
    *John* vs Chris, Justin vs *Howard*, *Jason* vs Sho
    Group A wins 2-1

*John* vs Don, *Justin* vs Hans, Jason vs *Akira*
    Group A wins 2-1

*Howard* vs Don, *Sho* vs Hans, Chris vs *Akira*
    Group C wins 2-1

Tally:
    1st: Group A
    2nd: Group B
    3rd: Group C

<font color=yellow>OVERALL WINNERS AFTER 3 SETS
    ----------------------------
    Groups:
    1st: Group A (John, Justin, Jason)
    2nd: Group B (Howard, Sho, Chris)
    3rd: Group C (Hans, Akira, Don)

Individuals:
    Akira, Howard and John in a 3-way tie for most wins (5 out of 6)
    </font color=yellow>

[​IMG]

5. Yamcha

Yamcha Well-Known Member

Damn, I missed out. Was planning to head back later in the evening but wound up going out with the family. Maybe next time.

6. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Forgot to add, this will be archived under <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.clandxm.com/vf4/locations.html>VF4fx [locations]</A> (click the "comments" link on the SVGL line item.

[​IMG]

7. jackybrothas

jackybrothas Well-Known Member

hey just to let all of ya know that only one of us posts in this forum and that one person is me (Jason)

"How many people wanna kick some a$$!!?? i Do! i Do!..." Stroke 9

8. Akira Taniguchi

Akira Taniguchi Well-Known Member

Chris I like the pictures you took the other day. I'm hoping we get more crowds next time. By the way I'm going to be out of town next weekend so I won't be able to make it but I'll be back for the following week for more competition. Hey how about meeting up next Tuesday 10/9? I'll definitely show up around 5ish.

Always a great feeling to defeat a worthy opponent!

9. ghostdog

ghostdog Well-Known Member

Wha...no Akira Yuckys?!

Anyway, the pictures say a lot more about the crowds and the environment than the descriptions do. Nice job.

-<font color=white>Ghost</font color=white><font color=red>DOG</font color=red>

10. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Hey Akira,

Nice to see you posting here. This is Chanchai, you met me early August when I took a visit from Portland to go down there. I personally had fun playing against you on VF4test, at that time, your Lau gave me a lot of hell. Fun matches/versus/images/icons/smile.gif

-Chanchai

11. Kiuju

Kiuju Well-Known Member

PSN:
    JOHNNYDANGE12
    Damn.... anybody know about SHGL???? Whats going on. Why do you sunnyvale heads have it and we don't? Aren't you all Golflands the same when it comes to getting new games?

Kiuju

12. jackybrothas

jackybrothas Well-Known Member

hey just cameback from svgl today and now the guard button on the first player side often gets stuck..... hehe must be all that smashin on saturday. well i notified one of the workers and demonstrated how it gets stuck. he said he'll call the repair guy and hopefully the problem will be fixed as soon as possible

kiuju,
    well i overheard a conversation about why most arcades are sent to svgl (for testing) and it was simply because a lot of diverse people go there.. or mainly just a lot of people with money.

"How many people wanna kick some a$$!!?? i Do! i Do!..." Stroke 9

13. Kiuju

Kiuju Well-Known Member

PSN:
    JOHNNYDANGE12
    The same with SHGL really wait..... Its on OC hehehe its not really diverse but, it too is a place for test games. I just don't see the reason. Oh well I guess we're gonna have to be patient hopefully we'll see something this month. Thanks for telling me though.

14. phizzco

phizzco Member

hah hey thats an awesome picture of me...chris you should have gotten one of don picking me up and almost slaming me on the ground as if he were wolf.. hey akira i would most def. show up on tuesday if you went....i think we should try to get more to come...its gonna be there for a while..ill update you when the sega people plan to pick it up or drop off the real final version...until then!

15. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Ah cool, nice to see you on the forum =) Now we have an inside source at SVGL here on VFDC! /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

Can't make it on Tuesday, have to go for an evening seminar, but I might head down to SVGL on Wednesday...

[​IMG]

16. Yamcha

Yamcha Well-Known Member

You know why the buttons are jacked...I was there yesterday (Sunday) and there were scrubs mashing on the thing like you wouldn't believe.

17. Akira Taniguchi

I'll be at SVGL on Wednesday also. I don't know what time yet. I got a check with Don to see what time he wants to go.
    So the other day when Jason Cha, Don, Jason (Jacky brothers), you and me where there on Saturday night, I noticed you started using Lau. Were you messing around or are you seriously going to use him? It would be very interesting to fight another Lau player. That is one thing I noticed when I'm using my characters, no one is using Lau or
    Wolf. I guess the reason I'm saying this is I miss playing mirror matches.

18. Akira Taniguchi

Do you know Chris Tan or Jason Cha? I remember playing against two or three people when the first VF4 machine was in SVGL. What characters were you using? It would be great if you can make it to the next gathering. I talked to Chris and he sounded like he wants to do this every weekend on a Saturday. Let me know.

19. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

I used to use Lau a lot in VF2/3, and early on in VF4, but then I started messing around with Pai and Lei Fei and I forgot a lot of Lau flowchart stuff. Going forward, I'm think I'm going to focus on Kage, Lau and Akira (especially in ver.B) as primary characters... basically the same trio I used in VF2/3... and Pai and Lei Fei as secondaries. (I dropped Wolf from the list... too boring for me.)

[​IMG]

20. Akira Taniguchi

FYI I'm going to concentrate on Lau, Wolf, Geoffry (sorry I can't spell) and Pai. These were my characters from VF2/3. For my 1st picks would be Lau, Wolf and Geoffry. And my second picks are Pai, Aoi and maybe Vanessa. I guess it all depends on how the Ver. B is like. I hope it's there at SVGL by Tuesday.