1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Swallowing a character

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by Kohlrak, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Libertine

Libertine Well-Known Member Content Manager Brad Silver Supporter Content Coordinator

If that were your only option, then you would be launched by a good player every time you tried to throw. Throwing is a good option which will probably work most of the time against most opponents. It's a common reaction to guard in response to getting hit, but throws will normally do less damage than a launcher if they're successful. The latter is why experienced players may try guarding most of time in nitaku.

You want to try to condition your opponents to attack so you can get more damage. With Brad, you have two good launchers when you have +6 to +9, which are [2_][3][P] and [6_][K]. The former must be entered as [3][3][P] from a standing position, which is convenient since it makes it easier to confirm a hit. The first part of the command ([3][3]) is the same input you'll use for fuzzy guarding. It's hardest to hit check when your follow-up differs a lot depending upon the type of hit you get, since you'll have to think more. The more you have have to think, the slower you'll react. But since [3][3][G] and [3][3][P] are so similar, you can just enter [3][3] no matter what and just have to worry about pressing the right button afterwards. For this reason, you might consider [3][3][P] to be your main launcher in nitaku.

The context here was between using either [6][P] at +2 and [3][P] at +3, but it has relevance here. You'll probably want to use [6][P] over [3][P] in general. Why? It's because [6][P] is the easiest way for Brad to create a nitaku situation. [6][P] will give you +7 on counter hit, but [3][P] will only give you +3. Also note that [6][P] is -5 on guard, so you can use what I told you about fuzzy guarding ([3][3][G]) and using [3][3][P] applies here well.

The second launcher Brad has for nitaku situations is [6_][K]. Since the input differs a lot from the input method you'll have to use for fuzzy guarding, using this on reaction is harder. I recommend using this only after your comfortable using [3][3][P]. If you try using this, you're probably going to try holding forward then pressing [K]. This is because directional inputs that need to be held of necessity need to be entered earlier. Your input method will be this for a counter hit elbow:

[6][P][G] -> [6_]

Pressing [G] ensures that you won't enter into Brad's Ducking stance by accident. If you hold [G] after your elbow and find that it was guarded, you can still use [3][3][G] in time even after you've already held forward. After a guarded elbow, the input method will be this:

[6][P][G] -> [6_] -> [3][3][G]

Obviously, this is a lot of inputting. This will make properly hit checking with [6_][K] difficult for beginners, unless they use an alternative input method. You can use [2][3][6] instead of [6_] for [6_][K]. Since you don't have to hold forward, you won't have to worry about entering the command as early as possible. Using this method, your input method will be this for a counter hit elbow:

[6][P][G] -> [2][3][6][K]

The input method for a guarded elbow can likewise be shortened:

[6][P][G] -> [3][3][G]

While this information was specific to Brad, it's possible to apply this knowledge to a variety of other characters and situations.

Finally, fuzzy guarding is properly entered as [3][3][5][G] instead of [3][3][G]. Using the latter, you may not enter the crouching state! Give your character time to start the crouch dash animation, then cancel it and enter a standing guard with [G].

MarlyJay likes this.
  2. Kohlrak

Kohlrak Active Member

PSN:
    Kohlrak
    Awesome.

I won't go into what is or isn't reactable, but 15 frame is just the minimum--there's usually a wider window than that, and sometimes the window changes on CH, like Jeffry's 4KP (really hard to hitcheck on NH, very easy on CH).[/QUOTE]

That's what i was afraid of. Makes sense, though.

Yeah, that [2_] thing always confuses me. I feel like i have to hold that direction, as if i were sonic-booming in street fighter. So is 33 a shortcut or just an alternative method (like 1K instead of holding 2K)? I'm not sure how to tackle those properly without giving myself away so i figure i'd save them for much, much later.

That's beautiful.

Ah, yes, free canceling. This is something i need to practice alot more. I just need to start getting into the habit of tapping guard after everything i am not hit checking.

So does every holding move have an alternative shortcut? Rather, is the held input a shortcut for people with good dexterity to make things easier for vets?

I have this odd feeling that this is a problem i've had before, but didn't know why. I really wish all modes (except actual rounds) would let you see where your inputs are on the frames. That kind of information (especially if you could scroll) would be extremely useful (for all fighters). It doesn't make sense at first, but i think, in the long run, it's extremely useful. I also wish we could slow-mo' too. And online dojo...

3. Libertine

Libertine Well-Known Member Content Manager Brad Silver Supporter Content Coordinator

Using [2_][3][P], you'd never be able to use the move in time. This command should be used when you're already in the crouching state. Using [3][3][P] is what you'll need to do if you're standing. Note that using [3][3] will waste a frame due to the game confirming whether you're trying to crouch dash instead of inputting an attack. This is true for all attacks that utilize dash commands. This shouldn't matter as long as you have +6, since this will beat all attacks up to 11 frames in execution.

1 ([3][3]) + 16 ([2_][3][P]) = 17

17 - 6 (Advantage) = 11

[2][3][6] is an alternative way of entering [6_], but if a character has an overlapping command, then it cannot function as a shortcut. Thus, if Brad had [2][3][6][K] as a command, it could never be used as an input method for [6_][K].

4. Kohlrak

Kohlrak Active Member

PSN:
    Kohlrak
    Does the in game frame data take this into consideration?

Is it universal then for 1K to be H2K? (Btw, how in the world do i type those arrows out?) And are there other holding directions and shortcuts for them for other characters? Moreover, how did you figure this out, or did the community come together to realize this?

5. Libertine

No.

It should unless there are overlapping commands for some characters.

Code:
    Down Back = [1]
    Down = [2]
    Down Forward = [3]
    Back = [4]
    Neutral = [5]
    Forward = [6]
    Up Back = [7]
    Up = [8]
    Up Forward = [9]

Directions that are held require an underline (_) within 
    the brackets.  For example, holding forward would be 
    typed as [6_].
    There's published media for Virtua Fighter that gets translated for us, but sometimes the information is either in the game or in instruction manuals.

6. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    No it isn't. We can react to expected results and things we practice much faster. If this wasn't true motorsport at the highest level would have far more accidents.

You won't start suddenly being able to do it without practice though. You can use the dojo CPU responses to help you train. I recommend having a mess around with attacks, putting the frame display on and setting the CPU to something like block/counterhit.

7. Kohlrak

Kohlrak Active Member

PSN:
    Kohlrak
    I don't know whether to like that or hate that.

Makes sense. Are there any others or are [2_] and [6_] the only ones we've seen so far that are held?

Thank you.

Do we have a directory of translated or pre-translated material?

Anticipation actually makes these numbers. I forget the name of the guy, but there's this famous "samurai" who can cut a bb shot from a bb gun without seeing the trigger while unsheathing his sword to do it. I can only expect that he's reacting to something other than the pellet which he probably isn't seeing. When blocking real punches, for example, you won't block everything up close. You either improve the reaction time by making distance that they have to overcome to hit you (a cue) or if they're really stiff (and also slow because of it, but not the reason) you can use their shoulders as a cue. I'm not sure which motorsports you're talking about, but most tracks are practiced and they have "intel teams" to warn of wrecks around the corners and things like that.

For some fun, give me your score. Mine was 348. We could attribute it to mouse click speed (which your controller is also vulnerable to), driver speed (measured in gigahertz), monitor speed (at least 30FPS), etc, but the biggest bottleneck surely rests between the ears.

My actual explanation for this is that you're not actually responding to the hit, but watching your opponent and seeing that the block animation is not starting. That would give you the additional startup frames to react to. It takes experience to apply this, though.

Yeah, i'm still messing with that thing trying to figure out how to best control it.

8. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

@Kohlrak I'm just going to throw in my 2cents on a nice trick I learned about hitchecking for CounterHits. Basically, your opponent must have done an attack before your move hits them (hence the counter-hit); therefore, if you watch for any type of movement from your opponent you can give yourself a large extra set of frames to react to! Instead of reacting to the yellow/orange flash, you can react to your opponent initiating an attack or a movement option.

So when you're in dojo practicing, set the CPU to react on block with either an attack or throw and you'll be able to practice reaction to movement and attacks. (fun fact: if the CPU throws from nitaku it'll be a normal hit).

noname, Kohlrak and og23 like this.
  9. Kohlrak

Kohlrak Active Member

PSN:
    Kohlrak
    That's exactly what i figured. The secret to reaction times is noticing what precedes what you want to react, to. We do this naturally, which is also why fakes work so well.

10. Libertine

It should be a minor counter hit. This usually doesn't make much of a difference, though.

Tricky likes this.
  11. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    It makes no difference once you are aware of the fact that crouchdash adds 1 frame to the execution of "from crouch" moves, and this is not reflected on the framecounter.

Regarding confirming counterhits from normal hits, thats something that I was able to do consistently only in final showdown despite playing VF for roughly 20 years..

12. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    The yellow flash that tells your it's a counter hit is MUCH brighter. Still, i kinda wish they used the water splat effect from the arcade opening to show CH instead. Would have made the game much flashier.

13. Kohlrak

Kohlrak Active Member

PSN:
    Kohlrak
    I don't know how i feel about that, either.

It seems manageable.

SEGA is one of those companies that has to take the english expressions literally. If flashy is good, it must literally flash.