1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Sweet Potato Pai Anyone?

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Cappo, Mar 26, 2002.

1. Cappo

Cappo Well-Known Member

LOL, sup everyone at VFDC, hope ur enjoying the PS2 version of VF4, i am =)

Just wanted to start a decent pai strat thread, with general and advanced pai techniques, followups, etc...

2. Cappo

Cappo Well-Known Member

So whats ur usual gameplan with Pai? I like to start with df+k, followed by a db+p, then i can either follow up with PPKK,or ff+pk, its all good, share the skillz all!

3. gaishou

gaishou Well-Known Member

d/b g+k is a good okizeme tool......forgive me if my terminology is incorrect.

a fave combo of mine is....

MCf-k+g, lp, f-k+g, d+kk

imo piss poor damage for a decent juggle.

4. Nemesis02

Nemesis02 Well-Known Member

Yup Pai is a great character, I went through three different ones until i choose her, and I instantly fell in love with her speed. Anywhose I tend to use b g+p+k b k b kk, and pp kk the most. Those are my two favorites, I like to get the opponent down and then execute u+p so they jump on them when they are down, thats basically my strategy. To get the opponent down then jump on them.

5. 22222

22222 Active Member

hey wanted to askk u..if f+k+g hits as a counter...will the other f+k+g hit too ???? i mean...its no use if the opponent can counter isit? er...and d/b+p if the opponent is too far...and u use ppkk....will the P hit also??? just some questions ........for me...i like to used f+k+g the kkk to do gd damage

6. LittleWild

LittleWild Well-Known Member

First, read the excellent Pai dojo written by Ice9 that can be found right at this site.

Legend: (n) = Normal Hit, (C) = Major Counter, (xx) = damage (B) = blocked by opponent

Pai combos that you must be able to do in your sleep:

Combos for K:

All characters:
    KK->8P (61) - The pounce can be avoided if opponent struggles like a dog.

Light Weight:
    K(n)->PPP2K (58)
    K(n)->KK->3P (60)

Mid-Heavy Weight:
    K(n)->66PK (52)

Combos for 2_6P:

Light Weight:
    2_6P(C)->P->P->KK->3P (73)

Mid Weight:
    2_6P(C)->P->KK ÂÂi72ÂÂj

Heavy Weight:
    2_6P(C)>P>KK>3P (72)

Follow ups after 3P+G:
    9KK - Might get blocked if you do not buffer the move correctly.
    66PK
    K

Follow up after 42P+G:
    KK->3P

Follow up after back throw:
    K->KK->3P

Dodge follow ups:
    Dodge(C)->KK->8P
    Dodge(C)->K -Followed by K combos.
    Dodge(C)->2_6P - If MC, follow up with 2_6P combos.

To create a back stagger with Pai:
    4P(C)->66PK [opponent techroll] 3K
    3P+G->44PK [opponent techroll] 3K

Pai mind games (actually, flow chart is a better term):
    3K(B)->64PP
    3K(B)->Dodge throw escape->2_6P
    P(C)->2_6P
    2P(C)->2_6P+G
    2P(C)->2_6P
    9K(B)->2P
    PPP->back dash->2K+G
    KPK(charge)->Guard cancel->K
    KPK(charge)->Guard cancel->2_6P+G
    2_6P(n)->9K
    4K+G->64PP
    1P(B)->1P
    6P(n)->6P
    6P(n)->Throw
    6P(B)->3PPP

Moves to abuse:
    3PK
    3PK(charge)->G-cancel
    P
    2P
    6P

That is all, just my 2 cents.

7. alucard

alucard Well-Known Member

I like to do this combo to light weights + some mid weights(MC):

Floater-->p>D_f+p>ff+p, k

Its possible to wall combo if the last hit(k) is a wall hit.

8. Cappo

Cappo Well-Known Member

How far are u guys in Kumite with Pai?
    I cant seem to get past 1st damn :meh: got like a 70% win ratio

9. Cappo

Cappo Well-Known Member

Woohoo, just hit 2nd dan with pai today =) It feels greaaattttt!

10. Nemesis02

Nemesis02 Well-Known Member

I just hit 2nd dan too today... i wish u could get victory points for higher ranked fighters as well -_-

11. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

Kumite Pai

My Kumite Pai is now 7th Dan and my wins are at 80% (210/50). I find her quite a lot of fun in Kumite as she has virtually no cheese pattern that the CPU falls for. It's almost like you're actually fighting the CPU as you would another human. She's much more challenging to level than I found for my Wolf (Grand Emperor on Japanese version with 91%).

cheers,

12. Cappo

Cappo Well-Known Member

Re: Kumite Pai

Very nice man, u must rock with Pai!
    I hit 3rd dan a couple hrs ago with a 72% win Ratio not bad eh!? I freakin whooped a lvl10dan Venessa badly, lol even got a perfect!

13. a_l_e_x

a_l_e_x Active Member

3PK(charge)->G-cancel

I didn't know that this move can be canceled... really?

14. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Basic pai strategy: machi machi machi

crouch dash back... punish any whiffs with heelkick.
    back dash and approach only with PPP. ...
    back dash and sidekick when opponent is in range and committed too much to his dash/crouch dash. to make the sidekick whiff.

If the opponent is not a very offensive type, they can easily be put into brain freeze. When the opponent just stands there and guards, repeatedly poke with d/f+PPP at this point until you can convince them to guard low. Then try sidekick stagger and follow up by mixing up crouch dash --> throw or crouch dash --> heelkick.

Beware abusing d/f+PPP, it's a good low attack sequence but it's slow and easily punished.

Baits: these are some common tricks opponents will fall for.
    blocked sidekick ---> standing high kick.
    u/f+K (hits or blocked) ---> u/f+K,K.
    f+P (hit) ---> f+P (hits again) ---> throw.
    low punch ---> throw.
    P ---> throw.
    sidekick MC ---> crouch dash throw (guaranteed??)
    f+P (blocked) ---> crouch dash back ---> heelkick opponent during whiffed P/elbow.

Pai's good throws: b, d+P+G --- can lead to the common heelkick-or-throw guessing game. If opponent blows at struggling try f,f+K (stagger) -- then dash in and force the same guessing game. If they REALLY blow at struggling do stumbling trip --> f,f+K --> dash (then tap guard) --> standing K ---> PPPsweep.
    When using high kick, it's possible to do a damaging K, K, pounce sequence, but standing K is safer and often can be combo'd into PPPd+K.
    The other throws are all decent, if the opponent is escaping the stumbling trip the 270 throw is the next best thing if you have the time to pull it off. The FC throw is also good but won't work in all situations, at least not easily. You need to be really on the ball to block (for example) a knee and then crouch dash into the throw faster than your opponent can recovery and attack.

15. Cappo

Cappo Well-Known Member

3PK(charge)->G-cancel

I cancel mine by pressing db,db

ive been doing u/f+k if it connects i try a throw.
    If i see that an the opponent is tech rolling after a juggle or such, i follow right up with a F+G+K, or FF+G+K, if the FF+G+K misses i dodge or do some OS, hopefully i wouldnt get punished :p

16. a_l_e_x

a_l_e_x Active Member

If you want to be funny, try d|u+P+K to trip opponent's TR. After ff+PK or PPKK is the common times where opponent will TR. After eating a few trips(+ free pounce) opponents will stop TR, pressure with attacks.

Her inashis' look goods and are good way to piss opponent off. Generally after her inashi, if opponent is in range, u/f+KK is guaranteed.

d+K+G, (don't return stick to neutral)d/f+PPf+P, d+KK , if opponent TR to avoid d+KK, trip them.

She ain't got many floater, D,f+P is the most used by me. K if I feel lucky, d/b+P if I feel REALLY lucky...

17. a_l_e_x

a_l_e_x Active Member

What's 'OS'?

I think ff+G+K didn't trace TR that well, also it's slow so opponent can easily block it, IMO.

18. furyhawk

furyhawk Active Member

I dun know how to use Pai's inashi. What's with the the different command for inashi? Can't i just use 1+PK for all attack?

I like to use 1+P against CPU wiffed attack and follow it with ppkk or ppp2k.

19. Chan415

Chan415 Active Member

I start off with a K..

If it hits..tap it again..if it doesn't, take a step back and work it!

I am 83/3 in Kumite, but have stopped with Pai.
    I realized her lack of depth. But she is very good.

20. a_l_e_x

a_l_e_x Active Member

I dun know how to use Pai's inashi. What's with the the different command for inashi? Can't i just use 1+PK for all attack?

high reversal - b+P+K
    mid reversal - d/b+P+K
    high inashi - f+P+K
    mid inashi - d/f+P+K

All works against punch, kick, elbow, knee, except circular attacks, sommersault, kickflip, and two-limbs attacks.

Reversal - Immediate damage, opponent will be grounded, not much follow up.
    Inashi - Do very little or no damage, opponent will not down but need to struggle out of the inashi'ed animation, leaving Pai with great advantage. Follow with throw/attack guessing game.

No, 1+PK for all attacks would just be TOO easy.