1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Sweet Potato Pai Anyone?

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Cappo, Mar 26, 2002.

1. Cappo

Cappo Well-Known Member

Aight...just wondering like, do u use em as pai's main game? Or just to do mixups to freak people out?

2. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

The stance stuff starts out pretty obviously, and the canned followups are a bit like tekken 10 strings... once you watch them a few times, you know pai's doing a mid kick.. then a couple of mid punches... then a sweep... so you're not going to get fooled by it unless it's the first time you've run into it. It's just memorization.

The movements and attacks are also very evasive and machi, pai moves away from the opponent and barely creeps forward as she spits out her whirly-girly attacks. Anyone who fears pai's stance can just backdash once or twice to keep out of the way, or they can be aggressive and find a reliable way to get her out of attacks from a safe distance, knowing that she can't guard anyway.

3. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

No, they're not good enough to be her main offensive weapons, but they're definitely good enough to use once in a while.

b+K, d should be your main way of getting into Bokutai. The b+K is middle now, has good recovery (throw counterable only, and that's if you don't go into stance), and has deceiving priority over other moves. She also bends really low when going into stance, making her hard to hit.

Her Bokutai moves are quite good. You have P+K which is quick, floats for good damage, and not elbow-counterable. You have her punching strings to interrupt or to press your offense. And you have your choice of K,K or K+G,P for a low attack into a follow-up which you can selectively use to keep your opponents guessing.

4. blurp

blurp Member

are you sure b+k hits middle? look at the ver.c command list. i also tried b+k on the ps2, it hits high. is there a diff version out now?

5. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

I think the real question is, did you really try it out on the PS2?! My God...

6. blurp

blurp Member

whoopsie! you're right, my apologies.

7. shl821022

shl821022 New Member

What do the numbers like 6, 9, 2, etc. represent?

8. Cappo

Cappo Well-Known Member

directions...the numbers on the num pad, 8 = up 9 = uf

9. shl821022

shl821022 New Member

oh I see...

at first I thought that they were directions like numbers on the clock 12:00 6:00, etc, and it didn't seem to make sense

10. BakuBaku

BakuBaku Well-Known Member

Um, This is really killing me. This guy around here has a really good Jacky, I can mainly put up a good fight to any type of character except Jacky. I cant even begin to describe how I lose to him so easily, is there any "stuff" i should be knowing to help me fight him better?

11. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Any more information on the jacky player? does he use lots of canned combos that go on forever... or do you find yourself eating lots of the trip'n'hammer throw (yeeaahHH)? Lots of low attacks?

One of the tricks to remember if he keeps nailing you with jacky's numerous canned combos is that at certain points in every combo it's better to block one way than the other... what I mean is this:
    after PP jacky can go into either a low kick, an elbow, a knee, a backfist, or a high punch/kick. Out of the six possible things he might go for after PP, five can be blocked high, and only the low kick must be blocked low. The low kick also does crap damage and is easily countered, it doesn't get jacky any special rewards. The other followups can all lead to combos or staggers or a knockdown.

So the moral of the story is to block high after PP.

On the other hand, after an elbow, including the elbow you see when jacky does P,P,f+P... you should usually crouch. The backfist after an elbow hits high. So does the heelkick. The backfist-spinkick combo does too. The backfist, low kick combo hits low. Everything after the elbow can be avoided by crouching (and the best option is probably to do a low punch and try to interrupt the elbow-backfist or the elbow-heelkick).

Maybe you should go through jacky's command training and see all of jacky's moves so you know when you have to crouch and when it's a good idea to block high. You can also try checking to see which of jacky's big attacks can be thrown after they're blocked... for example the knee.

Once you're used to blocking high or ducking at certain points, your opponent might smarten up and start doing tricky stuff like two elbows in a row or PP--> throw. But I can't tell how smart your opponent is so for now, that's it...

12. alucard

alucard Well-Known Member

(and the best option is probably to do a low punch and
    try to interrupt the elbow-backfist or the
    elbow-heelkick).

Only possible in ver.b. The backfist bit in elbow-backfist
    is a special-high in ver.c, so it will crush your low
    attacks.
    The defender can dodge(to one side only) or crouch guard
    and hope that his opponent is dumb enough to finish the
    combo.

13. BakuBaku

BakuBaku Well-Known Member

Well, yes I eat tons of YEEEAAAHH!! I usually block the whole combo then get hit by the YEEAAAAHHH!! Its just that its soo hard for me to get in after getting knocked back after blocks. I can block him enough but thats when he plays the damn cancel to throw game. Then he has that straight stun kick that I either get hit by or I get stunned then eat some YEEAAHH combo. Mabey its just my Pai, i mean, my Aoi can take him if I get my follow ups after the auto counters.

14. MysticalDragon27

MysticalDragon27 New Member

For the person that wanted to know our pai rank level........im at 4th dan right now and im really stuck there........have been for about 2 days.........can beat higher rank dans and higher than dan ranks but cant beat a lower dan rank they keep kicking my ass..............making me mad