1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Switch over to japanese movelist notation?

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Hayai_JiJi, Aug 21, 2001.

1. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

I think the "traditional" (-ly english) system is fine and intuitive. Switching to the Japanese system would probably do more to confuse for an unnecessary amount of time, even if it was a short period. Some of us will probably get confused trying to think about the script for holding a button down. We would get stupid posts on the forum saying, "what's with all these numbers added to P or K or G or any combination?" or something like "how do I read the moveslist." The result? An increase by a factor of 10 (maybe 20) in reply-posts that state "Read the goddamn fucking faq, moron!" Do we want to look meaner than we already do?!

Scrubs will mix up frame stats with the command input section of moveslist, and command inputs with frame stats as well! (hehe). The number 666 will pop up for every SDE and Jehovah's witnesses (hey, I took the J from the dictionary, you want me to use Yahweh instead?) will rain down upon VFDC with the quickness condemning us for celebrating birthdays and EVIL move commands (this is just stupid teasing in bad taste, Jehovah's witnesses need not be so alarmed at this post). We'll have stupid comparisons between Akira, Satan, and the Beast.

Western VF will fall upon dark times and confusing times, and scrubs will start to think it's a mathematitian's game... Oh yeah... some who will play the game on PS2 might start thinking that the digits refer to buttons on the PS2 pad/versus/images/icons/tongue.gif

And you want to inflict this hellhole unto VFDC and the english speaking VF online community?!

-Chanchai/versus/images/icons/tongue.gif

2. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

Very funny:)

Your post does bring up an interesting theory though "Akira is the devil" it just makes so much sense. Want proof see VF3ob the only way he could be that strong is if he was in fact the dark lord Satan incarnate.

Under the surface of the most jaded cynic lies a dissappointed idealist- George Carlin

3. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

Want proof see VF3ob the only way he could be that strong is if he was...

DON'T DISS AKIRA IN MY PRESENCE!! ;)
    Seriously though; surely you aren't saying you think Akira is weak in ob?

4. Hayai_JiJi

I meant he was too strong in ob.

Under the surface of the most jaded cynic lies a dissappointed idealist- George Carlin

5. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

That's ok then :)

6. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Awww hell no, I hate the number system, it sucks.

1. Our letter system is intuitive, their numeric system is not. It's easier to make mistakes writing and interpreting the numeric system. I know because for a period of time I gave it a try.

2. Our system is common for the entire fighting-game English speaking world, the numeric system is not.

3. Not every keyboard has the number pad, as someone pointed out.

4. Our system easily distinguishes between a tap and a press, i.e. "f" or "F". With the numeric system you'd have to have an ugly looking "6_", or something like that.

5. Our system allows for a lot more shortcuts, such as HCF, QCB, DP, etc.

Our letter system is obviously superior, at least to an English speaking audience. Clearly, to a non-English reader the connection between "b" and "back" would not be as strong as it is for an English speaking reader, which is what most of us here are right?

7. Hayai_JiJi

Point 2 of your statement is incorrect. The numerical system is used to great effect in the Soul Calibur community.

8. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

>4. Our system easily distinguishes between a tap and a press, i.e. "f" or "F". With the numeric system you'd have to have an ugly looking "6_", or something like that.

learn the definition of "distinguish" and "ugly".

ugly or not, if you are familiar with the numerical system, then the _ is easy to distinguish as hold.

--
    "What we got here is a failure to communicate..."

9. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Learn the definition of "easily".

The letter system distinguishes it easily, whereas in the numerical system it is not so easily distinguished. But just because it is not distinguished easily, that does not mean that it cannot be distinguished. In the numerical system, it can be distinguished but only through an ugly method, such as the _.

--
    What we got here is a failure to understand...

10. Mr. Bungle

jeff...it IS easily distiguished in the numerical system. ugly or not, "_" is just as easy to understand as the uppercase equivalent, if you're familiar with it. you're arguing ease of use when the only argument you can possibly manage is aesthetics.

nice editing, tex.

cute sig. go fuck yourself.

--

11. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Must be amusing for Japanese VF4 players to run VFDC through their Japanese-English Babelfish translators, only to read a slew of bitchin' posts that are only tangentially related to the game... /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif

(And you KNOW they are reading: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://hpcgi2.nifty.com/fand/VF2000/index.cgi>http://hpcgi2.nifty.com/fand/VF2000/index.cgi</A> has referenced VFDC on several occasions.)

My $0.02...

12. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Fuck, I think this is a ridiculous point to argue, but since you're so insistent:

By "easily" I meant there are more ways to distinguish a tap from a hold in the letter system, one of which is aesthetically nice (hence the "ugly"). It is also easier, IMO at least, to type in "f" vs "F" instead of "6" versus "6_". You can just imagine how confusing it can get if you need to add ~ and other shit like that before, after, or whatnot. It's a clunky system, aesthetically and pragmatically.

Thus as you can see, the confusion lies in that I am looking at it from the perspective of both writer and viewer, whereas I'm guessing you were only looking at it from the perspective of the viewer.

OK, I hope that clears it up, because I ain't spending more time arguing about language.

--
    What we have here is a failure to get along...

13. Mr. Bungle

there's one link there right now, under "best US vf player". hee.

also, check an old thread here named "chek this" [sic]. Fand used to have VFDC links automatically set up through an english->japanese translator.

--

14. Mr. Bungle

/me takes in biiiiig breath...must resist urge to continue pointless bitch flame.......must strive to become "kung fu master"!

suffice it to say - i don't see it; you didn't clear it up; you guessed wrong. as usual.

--

15. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

If, however, you went to any of the English-speaking SC forums today and started posting combos in the letter system, I bet almost everyone at the forum would be able to follow.

Go to any English-speaking, say, Tekken forums and the reverse would not be true.

16. ghostdog

ghostdog Well-Known Member

Go to any English-speaking, say, Tekken forums and the reverse would not be true.

Jeff, I don't understand what you mean. The Tekken forums would have to use the Western movelist notation.

f, f+1+2 looks a lot less confusing than 66+1+2

<font color=white>Ghost</font color=white><font color=red>DOG</font color=red>

17. Guest

Guest Guest

18. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Wow, that's pretty damn cool. I like that their translator has English text on top, Japanese text below in green.

19. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Geez, you know what I mean. Replace Tekken with Street Fighter or DOA or SNK or whatever fits.