1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Tactics

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by ThePrince, Sep 28, 2001.

1. ThePrince

ThePrince Well-Known Member

Kind of in response to Shinjin's post but with a new subject title to make it more general.

Jacky is a savage character to use and your best bet when new to the VF Scene.

A very important tactic to remember, is doing a low punch and then an elbow, or a low punch and then another low punch, then an elbow.

You have to make your opponent do what YOU want them to do. When you do a move, take a note of what your opponent does in response to that. What you then have to do is take a note of what other players do in response to that same attack or attack pattern.

The next step is to generalise what you have found, for example I have found that the majority of players will stop attempting moves and hold the guard button with the joystick in neutral position effectively open to a throw, this is after an attack pattern of two low punches.

What you can do in this case then is try to be ready for the second most popular response to that attack pattern and keep that thought close at hand just incase they do it.

This technique works better than trying to remember each one of your opponents playing style. I think that's more or less what people do anyway, but I think it's important to detail this and the reasons why etc...

Why do people do it? Not sure, I'll talk about it another time.

So....that was two low punches....Once they get thrown a few times they might probably catch on. Then you do an elbow instead, and it goes on from there.

In VF3 low punch then dodge was very strong, I don't know how strong that is in VF4 but I'll be trying that out tonight hopefully.

Unfortunately in VF4, the matches seem to just go so quickly. I've heard that in Japan they have the time limit set to 60 seconds as opposed to 30 seconds which it has always been. If that's the case then we need to change it to 60 seconds. I think we need to keep it exactly the same as Japan, and also the rest of the world, so that if there ever is a world tournament or something, then we can be used to a "standard" configuration.

Hatim.

2. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Unfortunately in VF4, the matches seem to just go so quickly. I've heard that in Japan they have the time limit set to 60 seconds as opposed to 30 seconds which it has always been. If that's the case then we need to change it to 60 seconds. I think we need to keep it exactly the same as Japan, and also the rest of the world, so that if there ever is a world tournament or something, then we can be used to a "standard" configuration.

If you're saying that rounds are ending in Time Outs too frequently, then I can see why you'd want to increase the round time. If you're saying that Knock Outs are occuring too quickly, then increasing the round time won't change that.

And from the videos I've seen from Japan, the most common round setting has been 45 seconds.

3. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Hmm..so that means we will move up to 45 second standard?

"Victory can be anticipated, but not assured" Sun-Tzu

4. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

A very important tactic to remember, is doing a low punch and then an elbow, or a low punch and then another low punch, then an elbow.

In VF4, the low punch can now be blocked high. So, you may want to alternate with a throw attempt instead of an elbow time to time. i.e. d+P -> throw / ESK