1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

tbzone tourney

Discussion in 'Tournaments and Events' started by Hyun_, Oct 30, 2002.

1. Hyun_

Hyun_ Well-Known Member

tbzone posted about the 4th team battle tournament in their website. What they posted:
    1. tourney will be on dec 21-22, on Evolution.
    2. Hokkaido guys are returning from Japan. there _could_ be additional Japanese teams attending.
    3. team hydra from the US will be attending. (Hopefully?)

Now the question is: how are the Florida guys (or Boston guys such as me for that matter) going to get adequate Evolution practice if we want to compete in a serious manner? (Commuting to Toronto is not really a practical option.)

I would encourage Singapore folks to get three guys together and attend though. Most things in Korea are cheaper than Singapore, (lodging and arcade are clearly cheaper. Evolution only costs around 17cents US to play from what I hear.) and you also have option to hop over to Japan for extra money if you desire.

2. danny13

danny13 Well-Known Member

Lets join Zhifeng! You, me and Jeffrey! lol

3. Akebono

Akebono Well-Known Member

I know for a fact, I cant go. The only way for me to go would be to

a. Not buy anything for anyone for christmas.
    b. Not be at home for christmas(I would want to be in korea for at least 5 days)
    c. Find a airplane ticket for no more than $500 dollars.

LOL but serioulsy I dont see me going to korea in december. Im not speaking for the rest of team hydra, but I seriously dont see them going either.

4. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Dude, I'm worried we're going to get killed.

In Singapore, we don't have a:

- Good Lau
    - Japan-styled Jacky
    - Decent Brad
    - Advanced Goh (though Wilson will hopefully change that soon)
    - Knows-the-frames and uses-Evo-moves Sarah
    - Fluid-stance-changing Lei Fei
    - Competent Pai
    - Any Vanessa
    - Beyond basic Wolf

The only characters we REALLY know how to fight against are Akira, Kage, Shun, Jeffry, and Lion. Sigh. We'll get murdered if we have to fight against a good opponent that doesn't play any of the above.

Oh yeah, if we play, I go last. =) My Kage will be a mix of Kyasao, Retired Kage, and Skeleton all together. Iron concentration, super machi, and bitch gameplay.

In fact, I think this is a good order: Zhifeng first, you second, and me last. Zhifeng is probably more like a "weird" player, and will either wipe out the entire team or lose immediately. You're more high reward, high risk. You'll beat a lot of people, but you shouldn't go last. I am not good at beating multiple people in a row, but I am good when desperate.

5. Hyun_

Hyun_ Well-Known Member

Guys,

Well okay nothing really changed except that TBzone site seems to indicate that there is a greater possibility for multiple Japanese teams coming. And I would like to know if people from Florida and Singapore are really coming. (Can't blame Pablo for his family obligation, but it sounds to me like other Florida crew still have some interest.)

The personal reason being: If people are coming to this TBZone tourney, I would like to be in Korea during that time, as I would probably have to visit Korea anyway. The least I can do for English speaking folks would be to serve as interpreter and hang out. Or potentially I can be a replacement player. If I were to visit Korea anyway, I would like to take an opprtunity to be at a decent sized tourney and feel the atmosphere, but I need a reason to be there since I am not a part of a team. Having a chance to hang out with English speaking players would give me a reason to be there even if I can't play in a team tourney.

(Just to give you some idea about my skill level, last time in NYG my Jeffry had higher than 50% win ratio against Rodney's Jeffry. I am not the best but I am not too bad as far as NA competition goes.)

6. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Hyun,

Are you definitely going to be in Korea? It seems like I'll probably have a week holiday Christmas time and thinking about where I can go.

If I go myself (hopefully that won't be the case) can I still join this tournament?

7. imf

imf Well-Known Member

The tourney has been moved to Jan 25-26th.

Blondie and I are seriously looking into going now. We'll be ticket pricing all this week.

8. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Ahh, then I guess it won't be Korea this Christmas.

9. Hyun_

Hyun_ Well-Known Member

Really? I haven't seen this mentioned in TBZone website. All they say is that they are having another (smaller) one day tourney on November 24th. In that case it's not that suprising that they will push back the next tourney but I would like to know how you got the info since it's not the website says.

To Jeff: No I am not certain I will be in Korea at any given time, but I could be. Seems like I need more infor at this point. I think you and Florida duo could make a nice strong team. Also, to my knowledge, 0034 used to be in Canada but now playing in Korea. Maybe you can get in touch with him if you can join his team if other possibility doesn't pan out. Just random ideas.

10. Blondie

Blondie Well-Known Member

Florida IS going now. We are prepping for this monstrous event and hoping that someone else(hyun) /versus/images/icons/wink.gif can go also to make it a 3 man team. Me and IMF are putting it into overtime to try and find the NEXT level. We are going to get plenty of footage hopefully =). Later guys.

11. Hyun_

Hyun_ Well-Known Member

Well okay so it's official. TBzone tourney has been moved to Jan 25-26th. There are still a few things I need to take care of but most likely I can join you guys.
    If you guys (and Myke? Jeff?) can finalize your travel schedule, that would help me finalize my plan too.

I said this to Blonde One on private conversation but I will repeat this here: Planning a transpacific travel in four days is insane. You would want to allocate as much time as the circumstance allows. You need time to recover from long flight and jetlag and everything.

And beside, if you are spending money to fly half way across the world why not spend time to see things around and enjoy the place? A word of wisdom from an old fart to the guys still in your early twenties: Travel around when you can. And when you go to a foreign country do something OTHER THAN playing a video game. I have traveled to England, France, Spain, Korea, Japan, China, Taiwan, Singapore, Hong Kong and Thailand. I can say all those places gave me life enriching experience. (Well, maybe except when I got pickpocketed in Paris, but anyway.) And I just regret that I didn't start traveling when I was younger. Soon I am planning to travel to Chile and Bolivia and possibly Peru.

In Japan if you give up comfort it's not impossible to sleep around $25 US per person per night. In Korea it would be less than half as much. So while it maybe unfair to ask TBZone to provide lodging for more a couple of nights, if I were you I would try to see if you can extend your trip to spend some more time in Korea if not in Japan as well.

Well, rant out. Hopefully everyone can have a great time!